Annual Travelcard; Oyster or other train company?

rpg

rpg

Associate
I did a quick search on travelcards but didn't find anything that applies to my situation, so hoping somebody can help. I'm not familiar with London travel and I'm sure there's some travel gurus on here.

I graduated recently and start a new employment later this month. I will be travelling from Kingston (National Rail/SW Trains - Zone 6) to Acton Central (London Overground - Zone 3), with one change at Richmond.

I want to buy an annual travelcard (as I'm contracted for a full year's work minimum) so I checked prices on Oyster's site and a zone 3-6 travelcard is £1,248. However, I was searching around and I checked South West trains website and they offer the same ticket for £1,248, plus a 'direct' ticket for less (£1,076).

STANDARD Annual £1076.00
Kingston - Acton Central
(1 Adult) This ticket allows travel on any permitted route.
View ticket restrictions
  • Paper ticket by post
STANDARD Annual £1248.00
Kingston - London Zones 3-6
(1 Adult) This ticket allows travel on any permitted route.
View ticket restrictions
  • Paper ticket by post
I don't really plan to travel to and from other stations in zone's 3-6 so I guess the best option is the cheapest one.

Are there any disadvantages to my choice? I think I need a photocard (which I don't have) with the paper ticket from SW Trains, but I don't with Oyster. Also, if I go with Oyster can I use it for free on buses?

Would appreciate any input/recommendations.

rpg

rpg

Associate
OP
It's just that you won't be able to go anywhere else, it's up to you what you want to get.

Yeah, that bit's OK. The savings will offset any travel not covered by the travelcard.

I guess my question should be is there anything I'm missing/overlooking? For instance, any benefits/disadvantages (bus travel maybe?) of an Oyster vs a paper ticket from SW.

Caporegime
That ticket (1st one) you post OP will do exactly what it says nothing more/nothing less and will probably also limit you to the train operator you buy it from.

An oyster travel card (2nd one effectively) will give you unlimited travel on buses, trams, DLR Overground/Underground within the zones you buy it for but you probably don't need it tbh Unless you use public transport lots ?

Just get a prepaid oyster card (PAYG) and whack twenty quid on it and top it up if you ever need. If you "Max" it out, by spending the equivalent in single fares that would total to the travel card it will cap the days charges at that.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Key question you need to ask yourself is "will I spend more than £172 on other Oyster fares over the year?". And into this you need to factor in your changing circumstances, i.e. while at the moment you may not want to travel much around zones 3-6, what happens when you are invited to social events in and around the area by your new colleagues?

My guess is given that it doesn't cover zones 1 and 2, it probably isn't worth it.

Man of Honour
That ticket (1st one) you post OP will do exactly what it says nothing more/nothing less and will probably also limit you to the train operator you buy it from.

It won't limit you to that at all, it quite clearly says it's a route Any Permitted ticket which therefore has no TOC restriction.

It is worth noting an annual season ticket purchased in the London and South East area is 'Gold Card' - it also gives you 30% off rail fares in London and the South East and cheap Firsrt Class upgrades at weekends.

Man of Honour
It doesn't say any route permitted, it says any permitted route.

I didn't say it said 'any route permitted'. I said it's a route Any Permitted ticket, which it is. This means you can use any permitted route between the Origin and the Destination, irrespective of the TOC. ie, it isn't TOC restricted as another posted suggested it might be.

Hxc

Hxc

Soldato
Just get a prepaid oyster card (PAYG) and whack twenty quid on it and top it up if you ever need. If you "Max" it out, by spending the equivalent in single fares that would total to the travel card it will cap the days charges at that.

Assuming OP is going in peak times, this fare will cost £8.40 via Oyster per day.

If he took the cheaper season ticket, he would be better off after 128 days, or just 26 5 day work weeks.

The second option of an Oyster card season ticket would be more worthwhile after 148 days, or 30 5 day work weeks.

A PAYG Oyster is terrible value here if you intend to work at this job full time for more than 30 weeks of the year.

Hxc

Hxc

Soldato
Last edited:

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato

rpg

rpg

Associate
OP
Folks, thank you all for the information. I didn't even know about the Gold Card either, which may be handy if I take trips into Central London with family/friends.

I don't think I'll spend the £172 on other fares throughout the year, so the cheaper direct ticket definitely seems like the best choice.

Thanks for the info re: the fare. I think you're right with £3.30. If I travel 480 times PAYG (48 weeks, 10x p/week) that will cost me £1,584, so I'll definitely save with the annual ticket.

@Hxc - I don't think Efour was suggesting I use a PAYG Oyster card for my daily travel to work, I think he means it for irregular other travel plans, which I'll probably do.

Soldato
Paper tickets are a pain in the bum. They wear out very quickly and eventually stop working in the machines. When I used to commute into London, I'd have to get mine replaced at least once every six months.

I'd go with the Oyster card for convenience and durability.

Caporegime
Apologies, I used an oyster calculator website that was clearly flawed, it was showing the single as £4.20.

With those figures there's a lot less in it, the cheaper option costs the same as 40 weeks PAYG, the more expensive one just over 46 weeks, so not a huge saving at all.

Especially when you consider 5 weeks holiday a year. I have a similar problem, a zone 1-6 travel card is only worth it if I use the tube more than two or three times a week on top of the weekly travel to work.

Back
Top Bottom