Big Bike Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
That has Dual Position Air (DPA) hitch is a bit like a fox Talas fork where you can just the travel. DPA allows about a 30% drop in travel to bring the front of the bike down.

Not sure if the RCT3s are worth the extra 200 though.

Caporegime
RCT3 means you get 3 pre-set compression settings eg hard, medium, soft. RC is just rebound and a low speed compression adjustment.

Surely this can be adjusted depending on how much air you have in the fork? But with the RCT you can adjust it on the fly?

And the difference between DPA and Solo Air is that solo air only one side of the fork can be altered? Meaning it's easier to adjust?

Why is there so many choices :/

Last edited:
Soldato
The amount of air in the fork isn't the same as adjusting low speed compression settings.

Dpa and solo air have nothing to do with compression adjustment. Dpa means you can make the fork physically shorter on the fly to drop the front end down for climbing.

It is confusing at first, the compression settings take a while to understand. There are plenty of guides around. Oh and don't call me Shirley.

Caporegime
The amount of air in the fork isn't the same as adjusting low speed compression settings.

Dpa and solo air have nothing to do with compression adjustment. Dpa means you can make the fork physically shorter on the fly to drop the front end down for climbing.

It is confusing at first, the compression settings take a while to understand. There are plenty of guides around. Oh and don't call me Shirley.

I think I kind of understand it, the RCT thing doesn't intrest me much. I've always just left my forks 'open' anyway so I doubt I would feel like I'm missing much.

Though, adjusting down to 130mm would be nice on long climbs which I do just now on the Pikes (100mm) and I generally don't notice much of a difference.

So the RL Reverbs would be more than good enough, and no point worrying about RCT single air, dna whatever other thing I will find by the time nightshift finishes?

Last edited:
Soldato
If you never fiddle with your forks then yeah rct3 is a bit pointless, I'm the same.

One thing to consider (which I just read today) is that you apparently can't use the Rockshox tokens on dpa forks. But I'm not 100% on this.

Caporegime
If you never fiddle with your forks then yeah rct3 is a bit pointless, I'm the same.

One thing to consider (which I just read today) is that you apparently can't use the Rockshox tokens on dpa forks. But I'm not 100% on this.

I would fiddle with it, if I knew what I was doing. But really, I just want to set it up and forget about it.

Soldato
OK so a friend and I got places on BC bike race (www.bcbikerace.com) for next year. It looks like an absolute blast but I think I might need to get fit.

Has anyone else done it before?
Didn't 6thelement do that?
Maybe just talking about it, I'm sure iv seen that link payed in here before.
It's on my to do list, was thinking about it for next year but decided to delay until the year after as I've too much on plus want to do it with my girlfriend as a team.

Funnily enough I watched the finish of the race live this past weekend in Whistler. I think I've ridden some of the North Vancouver trails they used in the race and I've definitely ridden the trails in the Whistler Bike Park. If you're not fit, you need to be. The amount of climbing/miles is a lot. It's not like a 2 hour ride doing 10 miles with your mates at a weekend with a couple of hundred feet of climbing.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's on my to do list, was thinking about it for next year but decided to delay until the year after as I've too much on plus want to do it with my girlfriend as a team.

Funnily enough I watched the finish of the race live this past weekend in Whistler. I think I've ridden some of the North Vancouver trails they used in the race and I've definitely ridden the trails in the Whistler Bike Park. If you're not fit, you need to be. The amount of climbing/miles is a lot. It's not like a 2 hour ride doing 10 miles with your mates at a weekend with a couple of hundred feet of climbing.

I can't wait and it is a great incentive to get in shape. I can smash out 40km offroad but I haven't tried that for 7 days straight with 2km vertical each day!

Are the trails as good as they proclaim?

Soldato
God damn rainforest trolling me.

Ripped all of the Goodridge gear cable off last weekend as it had gone a nice shade of rust orange and was sticking like a gooden. Ordered some Jagwire (cheapest for the colour I wanted) on supersaver delivery, 3-5 days excellent that'll arrive before next weekend....

Was despatched last night and got the automated email:

Estimated delivery date - Monday, July 14, 2014

FFFFFUUUUUUUUUU... :mad:

Associate
Home in Ireland so took a trip to Ballyhoura trail centre. Did about 30km in total, trails are mostly nontechnical fast single track but, with steep fire road climbs, detour near the end was particularly soul destroying(Never heard the missus swear so much!) Has a few new technical sections which opened in the last few months which at 2km+ each I thought were great fun. Don't have time to visit again this trip but definitely going again. On site facilities are very good with showers and changing rooms available.

Soldato
me and my girlfriend bought bikes a couple of weeks ago, cycled 9 miles today!

Good stuff. :)

Post pics.*

* of g/f, not bikes...

On another note, I've just ordered myself a new pair of anodized red Blackspire chainrings for my seemingly now antiquated Specialized Enduro.

Dammit I wish my new bike would hurry up and arrive!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom