Why do people think OSX is so great?

Soldato
2) that's a feature within exposė (to show all windows or groups of windows within an app). Try looking at the settings.

I think it is the simple stuff that you can do on windows/unix like drag/snapping windows so you can have them fullscreen/half screen really quickly. expose is amazing, but when I want something side by side and I need to manually resize each window it starts to get a bit silly. Given this is a 'Pro' machine I would expect certain things by default, and you can get 3rd party tools for this but you really shouldn't have too.

Also I have no clue why it is so difficult to get multi monitor support right, again today I try to save my photoshop file and the dialog pops up on a different monitor and it so frustrating.

Last edited:
Associate
I am very happy with my MacMini but out of box I wasn't overly impressed. 4gb of RAM with the standard hard drive really hampers it. Upping the RAM really made a difference but an 840Pro SSD even more so. Now it flies but the total cost would be around £850 or so.

Am happy to use Macs as I support Macs in my Uni. Windows 7 is still my OS of choice though.

For the mini, defo go for the iCore7 version.

Last edited:
Associate
I am very happy with my MacMini but out of box I wasn't overly impressed. 4gb of RAM with the standard hard drive really hampers it. Upping the RAM really made a difference but an 840Pro SSD even more so. Now it flies but the total cost would be around £850 or so.

Am happy to use Macs as I support Macs in my Uni. Windows 7 is still my OS of choice though.

For the mini, defo go for the iCore7 version.

I am in the same position. I am was disappointed with the speed in comparison to my Windows build (Quad core, 8GB RAM) so I am upgrading it with a Samsung SSD.

Associate
People just like to follow the next best thing. Apple has done a great job at proving that, It's not like the software/hardware is anything special. If you combined the look and build quality/look of Apple products and Windows OS/Hardware you'd get an amazing system.

It amazes me watching the keynotes, how people applaud and go nuts over a system which is 4x the price of Windows and has 4x less features than Windows.

But, all in all, some people like what they like.

Soldato
People just like to follow the next best thing. Apple has done a great job at proving that, It's not like the software/hardware is anything special. If you combined the look and build quality/look of Apple products and Windows OS/Hardware you'd get an amazing system.

It amazes me watching the keynotes, how people applaud and go nuts over a system which is 4x the price of Windows and has 4x less features than Windows.

But, all in all, some people like what they like.

iTerm/*Nix core makes it worth 4x the price for me easy, I would gladly pay more not to deal with putty, or crappy wamp stack every again in my life.

Soldato
I don't really think it's a sheep thing, I'm sure there are a percentage that do follow the trend just 'because', but I think people for the most part just want a product that works. One that they don't have to continuously fiddle with to keep it running well, and if it does have a problem then they can get help when they need it in store.

Just remember that not everyone is computer savvy.

I'm in IT Support and I support a few Macs (as well as mainly Windows 7 and a few Windows 8 machines) and I agree that OSX has it's issues. It has as many as Windows really. The fanboys who endlessly praise it must need new glasses to replace their rose-tinted ones...

Having said that though I have not run into the crashing issues you have unless the machine is old and starting to fail. I really would think about taking your machine into an Apple shop and seeing what they have to say. To me it sounds more like dodgy hardware.

As for the other issues, I'd say it's half and half between personal preference and yeah, annoyances in OSX which should be sorted out.

Soldato
OSX is better than Windows. I've had a PC again for about 6 months. Tried and failed with Windows 8.1 which I had to reinstall a number of times as it would eventually fail to boot. Windows 7 has been fine but I updated chipset drivers recently and now it asks me to sign in to Chrome every time I restart and Creative Cloud is telling me that none of my Adobe applications are installed.

****ing Windows.

Soldato
OSX is better than Windows. I've had a PC again for about 6 months. Tried and failed with Windows 8.1 which I had to reinstall a number of times as it would eventually fail to boot. Windows 7 has been fine but I updated chipset drivers recently and now it asks me to sign in to Chrome every time I restart and Creative Cloud is telling me that none of my Adobe applications are installed.

****ing Windows.

The problem with this argument is a lot of people blame Windows for their problems when it really has nothing to do with them.

I use both. I like both.

Soldato
I switched from Linux to OSX and I can see why people like it.

There's much more consistency on OSX for example the preferences are always found under the application name and preferences. The minimise and close buttons are always in the same place etc..

That being said it's right pain to do some things that just so easy in Linux.

Overall I like OSX but I'd prefer a more polished Linux system over it.

Soldato
The problem with this argument is a lot of people blame Windows for their problems when it really has nothing to do with them.

I use both. I like both.

I also use both and like both.

But the argument stands up, I have so few problems with my Apple machines, and seem to spend more time trying to fix Windows machines than using them. I know that really this boils down to the limited hardware OSX has to support, but I think that this is what makes OSX great. Most of the time it does just work. I'm currently reinstalling Win 7 and it's so long winded in comparison to the way OSX works. And I miss being able to create bootable backups in Windows.

V F

V F

Soldato
Do many of you use Safari? Find it annoying with animated gif's/emoticons in reply boxes? 20 - 30 of them. All these years and Apple still cannot sort the gif performance.

Soldato
I suspect OSX makes a bit more sense if you learn the keyboard shortcuts. For example, I don't know how to delete files without using the menu - I expect it to involve the backspace key, but backspace doesn't seem to do anything. I can't seem to get windows to snap to the edges, but that's such a ridiculous omission that there's probably a keyboard shortcut for it as well.

Regarding the user interface, Finder doesn't appear to find anything. Search terms like *.pdf seem reasonable to me but don't seem to achieve anything. Launchpad seems to promise much of the functionality that I expected from Finder, except only some programs show up there. The app store doesn't include programs that are readily available for OSX if you search for them in a browser. It's also convinced I'm based in the US and then refuses to install anything when it realises I'm in the UK.

Installing programs which aren't in the app store involves dragging icons around then wondering where the files have ended up since finder doesn't know. I believe there are third party repositories modelled on the *bsd or linux methods, but I haven't set up any. The included unix toolchain is badly outdated which makes cross-platform compilation irritating. Overall it's most reminiscent of searching cnet for potentially useful programs circa 98se.

Overall the learning curve is too steep for me to bother with. I just use terminal instead.

Last edited:
Soldato
I switched from Linux to OSX and I can see why people like it.

There's much more consistency on OSX for example the preferences are always found under the application name and preferences. The minimise and close buttons are always in the same place etc..

That being said it's right pain to do some things that just so easy in Linux.

Overall I like OSX but I'd prefer a more polished Linux system over it.

This post is extremely confusing given OSX is unix based and linux is unix-like, and linux/unix is only the kernel whereas OSX is the distribution, including window manager.

Take for example, Linux mint Cinnamon, which is OSX-like but more familiar to windows and IMO is looking beautiful :)

Last edited:

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I suspect OSX makes a bit more sense if you learn the keyboard shortcuts. For example, I don't know how to delete files without using the menu - I expect it to involve the backspace key, but backspace doesn't seem to do anything. I can't seem to get windows to snap to the edges, but that's such a ridiculous omission that there's probably a keyboard shortcut for it as well.
Cmd+backspace for delete, AFAIK there's no shortcut for the window snapping.

Regarding the user interface, Finder doesn't appear to find anything. Search terms like *.pdf seem reasonable to me but don't seem to achieve anything. Launchpad seems to promise much of the functionality that I expected from Finder, except only some programs show up there. The app store doesn't include programs that are readily available for OSX if you search for them in a browser. It's also convinced I'm based in the US and then refuses to install anything when it realises I'm in the UK.
Use spotlight to search for .pdfs, although I'm suprised this doesn't work in Finder. Are you searching "all files on my mac" or just the Home directory?

Installing programs which aren't in the app store involves dragging icons around then wondering where the files have ended up since finder doesn't know. I believe there are third party repositories modelled on the *bsd or linux methods, but I haven't set up any. The included unix toolchain is badly outdated which makes cross-platform compilation irritating. Overall it's most reminiscent of searching cnet for potentially useful programs circa 98se.
Mount the .dmg file, drag the application to the "Applications" folder in the sidebar of the Finder and it's done

Overall the learning curve is too steep for me to bother with. I just use terminal instead.
Give it a bit of time, it's not as hard as it seems :)

Soldato
Cmd & backspace does it, thank you :)

Searching for "spotlight" has uncovered a magnifying glass in the top right corner which does find my files. That's even better than the keyboard delete.

Applications will still take some getting used to. The GUI display and the /Applications directory don't seem to match and /Applications isn't on the $PATH, so there's some subtlety there. I'll dig up some documentation on it in due time.

I probably should spend some time learning the system. Thanks for the hints.

Back
Top Bottom