A sign of bad driving

Associate
Thanks for this thread, I passed my test about 15 months ago and I've been sitting in traffic lights with my foot on the clutch and brake - that will be changing :)

Soldato
Another nugget of a sympathetic driving style is when you start the vehicle, dip the clutch before you turn the car over. It takes a little load off the battery and starter motor. The majority of the time if your car is new or in good order it won't make any difference. But on a cold frosty winters morning if your battery has seen better days it means you're only turning the engine over and not all the gearbox internals that are covered in cold thick oil at the same time.

Associate
Another nugget of a sympathetic driving style is when you start the vehicle, dip the clutch before you turn the car over. It takes a little load off the battery and starter motor. The majority of the time if your car is new or in good order it won't make any difference. But on a cold frosty winters morning if your battery has seen better days it means you're only turning the engine over and not all the gearbox internals that are covered in cold thick oil at the same time.

I just start the car in 1st gear with foot on the clutch as it gets parked in gear :)

Caporegime
I start with foot on the clutch but take it out of gear first. (I also park in gear, but I have to reverse off of the drive)

When my instructor told me to leave it in gear with the clutch down at lights, I essentially ignored him and put it in neutral and pulled the handbrake up. He noticed that I did this and mentioned that it would save time and give me one less thing to worry about, I said I didn't want to wear my clutch out.

Soldato
The bearing only comes into play when your foot is on the clutch, so seeing as the plate is fine, it doesn't look like it's been ridden for an excessive amount.

It might have have worn out due to waiting at lights/in traffic etc with the clutch depressed for long periods instead of putting it in neutral. (possibly the previous owners)

The release bearing is still in contact with the clutch fingers when the pedal is up in most cars, just there's hardly any pressure on it.
It's still very much in play though, and still wears.

I'm the king of destroying clutches, I absolutely mullered the clutch in my old ZS diesel by ramping up the boost and launching it pretty hard. Unfortunately the clutch release arm seized, and the resulting heat tore it apart.

Pics: http://forums.mg-rover.org/showpost.php?p=3608880&postcount=6

Last edited:
Soldato
Blinkin eck, don't think I've ever seen one that bad before. Seen a few metal to metal but not seen one in bits like that. Then it's a very long time since I've had a gearbox out. That was an MG, a 1275 Midget, LOL..:)

Back
Top Bottom