Siliconslave's how to make espresso thread

Soldato
After searching around I went with Rave's signature blend in the end.. Had a 1kg bag arrive yesterday, I believe you're supposed to wait 3-5 days(?) after roasting date (which was Fri/11th) but couldn't wait :p Tasted very good either way! I think it's a medium roast compared to happy donkeys classic Italian beans, which I believe are dark. So much more smoother for me and much more likeable to the other half!

Permabanned
Which would be better pairing with a gaggia classic, Mignon or Rocky?

Got the gaggia second hand with the opv and rancilio wand mod. Using a Krups grinder for the time being but I would prefer a doserless.

Soldato
Which would be better pairing with a gaggia classic, Mignon or Rocky?

Got the gaggia second hand with the opv and rancilio wand mod. Using a Krups grinder for the time being but I would prefer a doserless.
Well, regardless of the espresso machine you're using, the Eureka Mignon is the better grinder :).

Permabanned
Thanks Flibster but my brother got me a 5 month old super jolly, all in original box and accessories for £259. He'll drop it of next week when it's Eid and I'll pay him back then. Bargain price I think. If it's possible I'll buy a smaller hopper because from random pics on a work top next to a classic it's huge.

Man of Honour
That's a damn good price indeed for the SJ.

There is many mods you'll really need to do, or at least variants of, to the doser to make it properly usable in the home. Mainly it's sweep modifications or even adding something on top of the mechanism in the doser to stop grinds building up there.

For the hopper, a jam funnel. Cheap tamper sat on top of the beans to provide the required pressure to get the even grind and voila. Sorted. ;)

Soldato
Another grinder question folks...currently using a hario hand grinder, primarily for aeropress and clever coffee dripper but soon will be going chemex I think.

So...any decent electric grinders for around £100 or do I need to up my budget? I think the only contender is the baratza encore but willing to entertain other ideas...I used to have a rocky doserless but sold it when I got rid of the espresso machine!

Soldato
After deciding I would never have room for an espresso machine i replaced my Hario hand grinder with the Encore. For Aeropress its fantastic. No complaints at all. I'd be interested how it would perform with an espresso machine but for me its perfect. What grind do you need for a chemex anyway?

Permabanned
Where can I find a cup like this please for latte/cappuccinos?

40mHvdR.jpg

Around 8oz cup size for latte's with double espresso shot.

Oh Flibster the SJ stopped working :( so my brother got a refund. Back using some generic crap for now :p

Soldato
Where can I find a cup like this please for latte/cappuccinos?

40mHvdR.jpg

Around 8oz cup size for latte's with double espresso shot.

Oh Flibster the SJ stopped working :( so my brother got a refund. Back using some generic crap for now :p

most household shops (house of fraiser, debenhams etc...) have a selection of cups just that style, biggest problem i find is they are all very thin china so don't retain heat very well.

Soldato
Well after ordering and waiting for my replacement Rocky parts (due to botched repair by *Espresso Shop that shall not be named* I have finally fixed and replaced the damaged hopper and top half of the doser (That was tricky to fit)

My make shift patch had served it's time but it just was not great. Thank god I had a friend in the US that could send me the parts over from Seattle Coffee Gear (A really friendly and helpful bunch of people)

I have been loving the recent Has Bean In My Mug bags and some of the best this year. Although I do have about 3 bags to catch up on at the moment as I have gone from one extreme to the other (no bags, put an order in and then end up with loads of bags)
the Brazilian Cup Of Excellence bag on Has Bean is really nice and I highly recommend it. Flavour wise it may not blow you away but it's the all around package of taste, smell and mouth feel that just makes it a brilliant cup of coffee with and without milk.

Only a month to go before I go back to London (for NFL) so hopefully I'll get to see Ozone Coffee again and then try some other places I haven't visited.

Man of Honour
OP
on a real filter binge for some reason - got the clever dripper out and been loving the difference in flavour profile it brings. Picked up a bag of Phil Ter from HasBean along with some Costa Rica Finca de Licho Yellow Honey Vila Sarchi (link) which sounds amazing and some El Salvador Finca La Fany Washed Bourbon (link cause I love me some washed bourbon, and its got a funny name...

Might have to break out the cold brewer as well...

Back
Top Bottom