Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Associate
I'm confused :/

my friend is currently in Vegas and is giving me a CD-Key for WHS2011 when he's back...I've got the WHS2011 OS installed, but it's saying WHS2008 on my desktop :/

Anyone?

tQDmmrk.jpg

Soldato
I'm confused :/

my friend is currently in Vegas and is giving me a CD-Key for WHS2011 when he's back...I've got the WHS2011 OS installed, but it's saying WHS2008 on my desktop :/

Anyone?

WHS2011 is built on Server 2008 just like SBS2011 is (original WHS was built on Server 2003).

Man of Honour
Don't put two much faith in it, their figures may be honest but the conditions in which their data was gathered is nothing even remotely resembling real world usage, they are buying consumer HDDs and stuffing them into proprietary rack mount cases, no consumer would do anything like that with consumer grade drives, their results only show something that can happen if you abuse HDD's

True but generally the product that offers the best reliability in a hostile environment is going to offer the best reliability under normal usage. Then factor in the addition warranty you get with the WD drives over Seagates

Associate
Hi all quick question. Will the N54L run a a small game server. Just a few simulation games (one at a time) with max 4ppl connected? Looking at some form of windows server. Also going to use as a backup etc

Associate
Hi all quick question. Will the N54L run a a small game server. Just a few simulation games (one at a time) with max 4ppl connected? Looking at some form of windows server. Also going to use as a backup etc
Depends on the game really and how much load it can handle. If the server is free Ill install it and let you connect if you would like to test it?

Associate
Cheers mate, i will check and PM you ;) how much grunt do they have ? Im assuming i would need to chuck some more ram in as only 4gb

Im out the country until thurs so i will bot be able to test until then any ways

Associate
Oppps just bought one :D thought if i dont do it i never will. Is it possible to get hdmi out ? Would be handy to hook up to my tv too.

Also what's the best os ? Want a virtual machine ideally or two with plex etc.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've just received my N54L, I've stuck 2 x 1TB WD Red drives in it, replaced the psu and case fan with noiseblockers, upgraded RAM to 8GB and installed an HD5450.

I've got esxi running off a memory stick and have created a Windows 2008 R2 virtual machine.

I can't seem to get the video card to pass through, I have no options to add it in the settings and get the message:

Message from localhost.localdomain: Hardware
GPU resources are not available. The virtual
machine will use software rendering.
info
15/07/2014 21:34:30
DC
root

Do I need to configure something else or is there an incompatibility here?

Cheers

Soldato
I think you can't pass the video card through as it needs to be "accepted" by ESXI to work correctly. I went down the ESXI route and in the end went to a "bare metal" install as it was more hassle than it was worth.

Windows server can run plex can't it? If you want VM's just run VB inside server?

Soldato
balls, was wanting 2 VM's to create a DC and another server for VPN, Plex and all the other nonsense, guess I'll just need to break all the best practice rules

Associate
balls, was wanting 2 VM's to create a DC and another server for VPN, Plex and all the other nonsense, guess I'll just need to break all the best practice rules
This is what Ive done, Just got a windows server running on bare metal with VMware running some fun things but plex I just have running on windows server.

Associate
We'll to be honest I want it to play with. Fancy trying a virtual machine or two. Just to try it out. Want remote access to my files (already use a synology) and fancy hosting a website or two. Maybe mess about with a game server if it's got enough poke. Looking at it windows home server 2011 looks a good place to start. I have a half decent fibre connection so should not have any probs streaming hd films from it too. Just gotta learn lots.

Associate
Best OS to learn with

Well I have just bought a HP N54L micro servo to play with. No server experience what so ever. Always learn quite quick and enjoy messing about but I have no idea what os to start with. Looking at whs 2011 but thought I would ask some advise first.

I would like to create a virtual machine or two just to mess about with. Maybe host the odd gaming server (low CPU stuff) media server and backup my synology nas and PC and maybe the off offsite laptop and PC. This is all just for my entertainment and security of files I don't want to loose. However they are on two synology servers already (one off site)

So what do you suggest as a first os to learn with ? I'm sure I will end up installing loads of other software over time and using different functions as I work out what it can and can't do. However it's just mainly for fun and to learn the ropes.

All advice welcome :)

J

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

For what it's worth, I found this video really helpful in explaining the basics of putting FreeNAS on and creating shares. Skip to 2mins if you are impatient :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom