Show Us Your Motors!

Man of Honour
That, and the 4 Series, is getting damn close to one of the nicest BMW styles ever.

The 6 Series range is quite obviously the highlight of the BMW range, certainly right now, anyway. Almost everything about it is right whereas the 2 Series and 4 Series get the exterior largely right (Some awkward bits on the 4) but the interior very wrong. The 4 Series interior is very, very similar to that of the 1 Series and this just shouldn't be the case. The 1 Series gets away with it's fairly poorly interior by virtue of the fact it's the entry level car but there is no excuse for the same in the 4 Series.

The 3 and 4 Series needed a smaller 5 Series interior not a bigger 1 Series interior.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;26611772 said:
The 6 Series range is quite obviously the highlight of the BMW range, certainly right now, anyway. Almost everything about it is right whereas the 2 Series and 4 Series get the exterior largely right (Some awkward bits on the 4) but the interior very wrong. The 4 Series interior is very, very similar to that of the 1 Series and this just shouldn't be the case. The 1 Series gets away with it's fairly poorly interior by virtue of the fact it's the entry level car but there is no excuse for the same in the 4 Series.

The 3 and 4 Series needed a smaller 5 Series interior not a bigger 1 Series interior.

I really don't understand this "fairly poor interior" statement you keep coming out with. Compared to what?? The plastics are fine, ok there aren't swathes of leather but then its a car that starts at focus prices... all the control surfaces are superb as are the majority of the areas you actually come into contact with.

The design philosophy of all the 1/2/3/4/6 and soon the 7 (from the spy shots that have appeared) interiors are almost identical, the current exception is the 5 but no doubt that will change at the next refresh. The differences come from the "packaging" for the car, where there is a step up in materials such as the leather dash and larger screen on the likes of the 6, but then you'd expect that from a car that has a 50K+ starting price.

But then I suppose thats why you hung on to the 530i for so long to you it was what you felt right when to me it looks and feels very dated...each to their own...

mjt

mjt

Soldato
P7130131.JPG
Are you wearing ski boots or rollerbladers? :p

Man of Honour
I really don't understand this "fairly poor interior" statement you keep coming out with.

To be fair it's hardly just me :p

Compared to what?? The plastics are fine, ok there aren't swathes of leather but then its a car that starts at focus prices... all the control surfaces are superb as are the majority of the areas you actually come into contact with.

It just doesn't feel that great - it's mostly design aspects rather than material quality, vast swathes of plain matte black plastic (ie around the gear shifter and climate controls etc), the way the centre console and the dash itself don't blend into one, it just sort of stops leaving a large gap, the way the passenger side is assymetrical, etc. It just doesn't seem to flow nicely. Plus whats going on with the climate panel etc? Why does it have E90-esque dot matrix display rather than the black panel tech BMW introduced 5 years ago now? Why is the instrument binnacle so squashed and cramped? Room for only 2 gauges - how come?

If you look at something like an E46 3 Series you can see it's interior was quite obviously influenced by the 5 Series - it's a smaller 5 Series and as a result for it's time the interior of the E46 was excellent. The 3 and 4 Series now end up with an interior thats almost identical to the 1 Series, so the approach has changed, hence the criticism its picking up from some.

I kinda get it in the 1/2 Series. The interior is probably what you'd expect from a car of that level (Though I guess its a nuisance for the M235i owners because although the base car is entry level the M235i is hardly cheap!) but its a particular shame in the 4 Series. It's exterior promises so much, to open the door and be greeted by what could be mistaken for the inside of a 114d is a real shame - the 4 Series had the potential to be a mini 6 Series and the interior absolutely stops that.

Plus exterior wise the BMW tradition of giving the pre LCI the crap lights and then magically upgrading to LED's on the LCI is getting really boring now. Come on BMW, it's 2014, LED's are it now. Stop deliberately gimping cars so you can facelift them 4 years later, the introduction of CELIS LED's in 2000 really should have been the end of conventional lights across the range. 14 years later you shouldn't get filament rear bulbs as standard in your £60,000 M3!

But then I suppose thats why you hung on to the 530i for so long to you it was what you felt right when to me it looks and feels very dated...each to their own...

Of course the E39 feels dated - it came out 19 years ago!

Though as interesting as this conversation is - and it's always good to have opposing views - I wonder if we ought move it to the BMW thread rather than Show Us Your Motors :D

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I always run my map in 3D mode, you get use to it and frankly I much prefer it. I am not super keen on the zoomed in around town mode as some of the building get in the way of the bloody roads however.

Caporegime
Or tow strap, stickers, blacked out rear clusters, black rear lettering, debadged front grille.

No pressed plates though, actually surprised by that one.

Just noticed the under bonnet stickers :(

Soldato
I drive an Astra, well I did until it's been back at the garage for two weeks but I don't like that :(

I don't get the toe strap thing, bonnet bras or stickers at all. Wind deflectors seem to do nothing in most cars I've been in too.

Don't think the fake Rota grids work well with it either. Is that a fake of a fake of a TE37 then?

Soldato
I drive an Astra, well I did until it's been back at the garage for two weeks but I don't like that :(

I don't get the toe strap thing, bonnet bras or stickers at all. Wind deflectors seem to do nothing in most cars I've been in too.

Don't think the fake Rota grids work well with it either. Is that a fake of a fake of a TE37 then?

Back
Top Bottom