Calling/Texting numbers abroad on EE

Associate
Evening folks,

My friend is abroad in Spain at the minute, and I have been texting her for the past couple of days plus around 30-40 minutes in phone calls.

Now, I've looked on EE website but it only mentions about calling from abroad, not from the UK to abroad, so I'm unsure who is paying for all this communication.

So... Am I paying for ringing her and the texts, and she is paying for her texts to me? Or are my texts coming out of my allowance and she is paying for the phone calls?

She is on 3, which say if I ring her it's 4p a minute. I can't find if I pay extra too though. All I know is every text she sends me costs her 6p.

Caporegime
No it's not free.

You will pay iternational rates for calling or texting abroad.

She will also pay for receiving calls, however receiving texts for her will be free.

(I work for EE)

Just checked our internal system as there is nothing on the web about it which is ridiculous.

£1 inc VAT per minute for calls from the UK to Spain.

25p inc VAT for texts.

This is taken from my work internal system btw so should be completely accurate. :(

WHAT?!?!

Are you sure? How am I meant to know who is abroad when texting a UK mobile number? Apologies if I'm wrong OP.

The information you have provided shows that the provider isn't from the UK. Texting/phoning a UK provider, that is in Europe (wherever) will be the same price as if the handset was in the UK. I am very confident this is true.

Last edited:
Associate
If you're calling a UK number, you only pay the UK rates. It doesn't matter at all whether that person is in Spain, Korea or Afghanistan. Any suggestion to the contrary is clearly wrong.

The person who is physically abroad, with their UK SIM card in their phone on roaming, pays the roaming rates for the international portion.

If you're calling a foreign number, then of course you will pay international charges.

Soldato
No it's not free.

You will pay iternational rates for calling or texting abroad.

This is taken from my work internal system btw so should be completely accurate. :(

You should probably have a word with your supervisor as it sounds like your internal help system is extremely misleading.

The person texting a UK number will not know where the message is being terminated and will not be charged any extra whether the person they are messaging is in Bristol or Brisbane. It sounds like you have looked up texting someone abroad on your system (as in who has a foreign number) rather than texting someone who is abroad with a UK number.

Last edited:
Associate
Sorry guys, my fault and your absolutely correct. Been a long day and all that. We got an internal email today stating call charges while In the UK to numbers abroad but stupidly I didn't put two and two together and remember it excludes UK numbers.

Been doing this for 5 years now *facepalm* but it slipped my mind. Sorry for the confusion :D

Back
Top Bottom