(Pre) Teen band get $1.8m, up to SIX album record deal with Sony

Soldato
http://www.teamrock.com/news/2014-07-15/teen-band-get-1-8m-deal

Now, being in a band myself I'm all for new music being discovered but does this take the biscuit? Unlocking The Truth are a 3 piece metal band from the States, but none of them are older than 13. As far as I can tell they haven't recorded any music whatsoever but Sony have plunged nearly $2m dollars into them.

If they're that talented (I've only seen the video on the above link) then it's a calculated risk and might well pay off, but what if they're a flash in the pan and can't handle the pressure? IMO it's unfair to pile that on some teenagers; they still have 3 or 4 years till they even finish school.

I only say this as a part of me has gone all green eyed and jealous, what I wouldn't give to have that opportunity :) If they are the future of metal and prove it in 20/30 years time, then fair play to them.

Soldato
something gone wrong somewhere... the drummer sounds like he only knows how to hit the cymbal lol. And then there were the guitarists 'metal' rocking movements... they just seem wrong on a group that looks more like rappers in the first photo lol

I've heard much better amateur bands that have not been picked up.

Also there's likely lots of clauses in there, they only got 60k upfront with more for the next album IF it sells 250,000 copies, so if they don't they're only getting 60k which for Sony is likely good value. .

Soldato
I am not saying anything, but are you really saying that after looking at the picture and reading the article that you can't understand why Sony is taking a punt on them.

(Clue, it's nothing to do with music)

Soldato
I am not saying anything, but are you really saying that after looking at the picture and reading the article that you can't understand why Sony is taking a punt on them.

(Clue, it's nothing to do with music)

Just say it like it is. It appears to be the novelty of 3 black kids playing in a metal band, due to kids who look like they do of having a stereotype of being in to rap music and avoiding metal like the plague.

Soldato
Just say it like it is. It appears to be the novelty of 3 black kids playing in a metal band, due to kids who look like they do of having a stereotype of being in to rap music and avoiding metal like the plague.

Nail on head I think. I can only see that as being what makes them unique unfortunately. Good luck to them.

Soldato
Well no, they haven been "payed" $1.8m, they've been advanced $60k and if their first record sells then they get more.

The deal is just "worth" 1.8m if they meet the conditions.

Soldato
but black artists in metal bands isn't new....

Whilst that's the case, they are usually considered "outsiders" from typical "black culture".

Some of my favourite guitarists are black, and some play in metal bands or metal, I am well aware that there are black people in metal, but the situation these kids are in is quite "novelty".

Associate
$1.8m for 6 albums? Lol these kids have been played by Sony.

That money has to pay for the studio time and music equipment, loads of other stuff, then they get what's left as salary. Assume a new album every 2 years...without even taking all the recording costs off they are getting paid $1.8m over 12 years / 3 band members. $150,000 a year / 3 = $50k per annum (say £30,000). In the meantime, they are locked into a 6 album deal while Sony make a huuuuuuge profit if they even become a tiny bit successful.

Soldato
The video in the OP is when they were 11 and there is a lot of up to date stuff on You Tube including a big festival in 2014.

Now to get out my Mothers Finest albums.
Circle pits make me laugh. Those people look they're doing some strange sort of training regime *cringe*.

They sound ok actually. Sony have got a great deal if it works out. I'm assuming they will pay lots of well respected people to come in and 'nurture' the band to see what they can get out of them.

Soldato
It's actually a two album contract with an option for four more. They get an advance of $60 for the first then a potential $350k for the second.

Of course, they'll have to pay the money back and there's no guarantee of their success...

They're managed by one of the dudes in Living Colour, that's why they've managed to land a deal with Sony - it's who you know.

Back
Top Bottom