Asda vs Shell V-Power Nitro+

Associate
I tend to find that my mpg is pretty much constant during the year, in Winter the cold means the engine takes longer to warm up and I have the heater on constantly. Where as in the summer it warms up really quickly but I have the AC on pretty much all the time.

Associate
I have a 2.0 ltr Passat Wagon 140 BHP R line oil burner - owned it for 10k miles noe.

When I first picked it up I was using Sainsburys finest and it was very disappointing with itro 600 miles on a tank.

After changing to Esso's standard diesel and a measure of Millers in every tank, it has risen to about 730 miles for the same tank, after about 3 or 4 tanks.

Now some of that will be due to the now warmer weather, but tbo winter was very mild and cars run better on cold denser air, its about 30 miles return to work daily and most of my mileage is over 10 miles one way.

I'll never go back to cheap supermarket fuel - no additives seem to be the issue. Millers ia about £9 for 6000 mile (on ebay cheaper than halfords)

And if you have a recent oil burner with a DPF then additavies can be very important

Caporegime
I put some 99 in my boggo 2002 Polo 1.2 and got 40MPG from a tank once. I usually see 35 - 37MPG from a tank using 95.

Using 99 also ironed out some of the occasional unresponsiveness under acceleration and made things feel a little more smooth.

It is easier to notice the difference in a car so slow :D

I have still put 95 in for the past few tanks though.

Out of curiosity, what engine does your 6R have? Is it N/A, FSI, TSI etc?

FSI/TSI engines often run better on higher octane fuel IIRC.

Soldato
I only use vpower in the 135i

How much are you paying for it? There's a Shell near my house but their standard unleaded is 3p/litre more than Esso, so I shudder to think what VPower costs.

Been running my M135i on Momentum 99 for the last 2 tanks. Can't say I've noticed any difference over 95RON.

Soldato
I suppose whether or not you would notice does rather depend on how you drive. Have you been paying attention to the fuel economy as well as the drive of the car?

Not really :)

What I have noticed though is that the car has a bit of a "bouncy" idle. It's not rough, but I can feel the engine jiggling through my seat. That's a terrible explanation.

Keen to try VPower to see if it resolves it, but I don't know for certain if it's not just the way the BMW N55 engine is.

Soldato
I've not felt an increase in power but have noticed it running better, especially at idle and also increase in range on a tank when using high RON petrol in my bike. Well worth it though as bike's range are damn low.

Caporegime
How much are you paying for it? There's a Shell near my house but their standard unleaded is 3p/litre more than Esso, so I shudder to think what VPower costs.

Been running my M135i on Momentum 99 for the last 2 tanks. Can't say I've noticed any difference over 95RON.

VPN+ is normally 8p a litre more than the Fuel Save normal unleaded at any Shell station I've been to. Sounds like a lot but is really only a few quid. Worth it IMO for the better running and 20-30 more miles I get to a tank.

Soldato
I usually put Esso / supermarket 95 in mine, but every 4/5 fills I put 98 in. average MPG goes up from about 32 to about 36 according to the dash. I do a variety of trips, don't commute. Even let the gf drive it sometimes. She would have no idea.

Got better mpg from BP 95 last time I filled with that too compared with my local Esso / Asda / Morrisons. Not quite like their 98, but getting there. But it's 133p compared with 127p at my local Esso.

Last edited:
Soldato
VPN+ is normally 8p a litre more than the Fuel Save normal unleaded at any Shell station I've been to. Sounds like a lot but is really only a few quid. Worth it IMO for the better running and 20-30 more miles I get to a tank.

Cheers :) £6 more per tank compared to the cheapest station within 5 miles from me. That's a curry every 2 weeks :p

I'll give it a try and see if the car feels smoother at idle.

Soldato
i used to run shell optimax (as it used to be known) in the spaxo as i had the old 1.6 8v with no knock sensor (and quite a high compression) and it improved pinking no end.

same with my old 1380 mini, optimax only and it ran so much nicer with the lumpy cam.

so depends on the engine really. generally i believe its recommended for higher performance/turbos (i.e. jap imports) to prevent pinking, enginer wear and/or melting pistons.

read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_knocking#Abnormal_combustion

"Detonation can be prevented by any or all of the following techniques:

the use of a fuel with high octane rating, which increases the combustion temperature of the fuel and reduces the proclivity to detonate;"

also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_knocking#Knock_detection

"Knock detection

Due to the large variation in fuel quality, a large number of engines now contain mechanisms to detect knocking and adjust timing or boost pressure accordingly in order to offer improved performance on high octane fuels while reducing the risk of engine damage caused by knock while running on low octane fuels."

if you motor is retarding the timing or boost to prevent knock caused by crap fuel then you'll be losing performance.

Last edited:
Soldato
I want to see how VPOWER affects the economy of my car, but I would look like a right plank filling up an old Polo with 99 RON premium sporty juice. :p

But your driving around in a girls car already. :p

Seriously though why would you care what someone else thinks and why would someone else care what your filling up with, i dont look at what others are doing when i fill my car up!

Caporegime
But your driving around in a girls car already. :p

Seriously though why would you care what someone else thinks and why would someone else care what your filling up with, i dont look at what others are doing when i fill my car up!

I'm not actually worried about it, I was just highlighting that it seems like a silly idea if you don't read into the reasoning behind it. :p

Bad wording. :p

Back
Top Bottom