Thoughts on pre-orders

Soldato
The last Gsme I pre-ordered was Skyrim,

Not that I got a good price (I paid the going rate) but I knew I wanted it.

There is no game since I have actually HAD TO HAVE. :)

Even though skyrim was amazing and still is, I probably wouldn't preorder TES VI after seeing how many companies ruin their main franchises with rushed releases and trying to appeal to wider audiences.

Associate
I very rarely pre-order a game for all the reasons mentioned.

I did pre-order Wildstar though! This was because I'd already been playing in the beta and knew I loved the game, and the pre-order gave me further access to beta weekends after open beta had ended. So in that instance it seemed perfectly logical!

Soldato
Do some research, watch some videos etc. It isn't hard to tell if a game is going to be worth buying. I pre-order most games I get nowadays.

I will preorder Witcher 3, Dragon Age 3 and Lords of The Fallen at least this year. I have seen enough of them to know I want to play them, and nothing anyone could say would persuade me otherwise. I shall make my own mind up on whether they are good games.

Last edited:
Soldato
Not anymore, imho it's a terrible con. Back in the old days, perhaps, but now that Digital Downloading is essentially the standard, I don't see the point. Just wait a few hours to see if the **** hits the fan and Youtube melts down with Raaaage! If not, then hit buy.

The last time I went 'full retard' was Battlefield 4, and that was after what had been considered a fairly decent beta... We all know what happened on release day.

The whole thing is getting out of hand with the absurd levels of hype, stupid deals, pre-ordering six months in advance :)eek:) and the fanboys wading in on every forum thread/discussion pre release... Sometimes, I think they may be the worst part.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's basically a quality of life thing, if you want it and have the cash then go for it.

I'm old and wise (;)) I wait a few weeks and pick up the same thing for mere buttons !

Soldato
Sim City, Aliens: Colonial Marines, Rome 2: Total War, X-Rebirth, Battlefield 4, Watchdogs.......frankly between EA, Sega and Ubisoft they have effectively made the pre order market extinct or at the very least an endangered spices.

EA are guilty of releasing buggy unfinished games that disappoint.

Ubisoft are guilty over misleading customers about the visual quality and experience they are likely to receive.

Sega are guilty of all of the above.

It blows my mind that 'false adverting' and deliberately misleading consumers is an actual thing in video games these days, most games can act stupid at times but their not thick. At some point all this crap will really hurt or take down a major publisher most are already hemorrhaging sales to indie developers and pulling stunts like Ubisoft did with Watchdogs is only going to make things worse for them.

Soldato
Will only do it for VERY specific collectors editions from VERY specific devs as they are actually likely to run out.

For instance if Bloodborn turns out to be what I except I imagine I will pre-order the collectors edition as FROM haven't put a foot wrong with me yet and I have all the others.

Soldato
I think on the whole the question is why pre-order, rather than why not. There are rarely good reasons, the majority of the time you can get as good a deal on launch day (maybe minus some pointless DLC), and we all know how quickly prices drop even on quality titles.

There are some occasions though. The last game I pre-ordered was Bioshock Infinte, I got it for £22.50 with a code from GMG, I also got Xcom, Spec Ops The Line and the first Bioshock included free. I sold the XCOM key for about £8, I didn't have Spec Ops so kept that, and it was kinda nice to add Bioshock to my steam library even though I had it. I consider that a good deal and its one of the few games I desperately wanted day 1.

Permabanned
Sim City, Aliens: Colonial Marines, Rome 2: Total War, X-Rebirth, Battlefield 4, Watchdogs.......frankly between EA, Sega and Ubisoft they have effectively made the pre order market extinct or at the very least an endangered spices.

EA are guilty of releasing buggy unfinished games that disappoint.

Ubisoft are guilty over misleading customers about the visual quality and experience they are likely to receive.

Sega are guilty of all of the above.

It blows my mind that 'false adverting' and deliberately misleading consumers is an actual thing in video games these days, most games can act stupid at times but their not thick. At some point all this crap will really hurt or take down a major publisher most are already hemorrhaging sales to indie developers and pulling stunts like Ubisoft did with Watchdogs is only going to make things worse for them.

I thought there was a law being passed in the UK that prevents sponsored Ronku YouTubers from misleading customers and Publishers passing of tech demos as "In game footage". Or did I dream it?

Additionally I think that since we've all been burnt by recent games that pre-ordering only appeals to the hipster kids or adults with a child like mind.

Last edited:
Associate
don't get point of pre orders unless there is a cracking deal with big exrass: I only bought RE6 on pre order which included season pass (all dlc's) and RE5. (£15)

most games not worth it and price come down pretty fast from £30-£40 to £20-£15 within month and wait bit longer and to sub £5 like hitman, tomb rider, etc. (bought BF4 for £12 and BF4 Premium £16)

Soldato
Bit off topic but what are the thoughts regarding buying into alphas and betas at reduced prices?

DayZ is an example of such. I bought it for £20 thinking that I would inevitably buy it when it came to launch so might as well get it when it is cheap.
Long story short, game has a lonnnnggggg way to come, updates are getting fewer and further between and not addressing key issues and the devs have my money. So I am quite put off by investing in early access games now too.

Associate
Well I bought into the alpha of Ascetta Corsa but only because I really wanted to support the small dev team.

First pre-order in 12 years was Rome total war 2 and I got burnt big time. Will never pre order a game ever again. The gaming companies really do shoot themselves in the foot.

Associate
I only preorder now if I get into the beta & see good enough promise to convince me, I would say demo as well, but cant remember the last time I actually saw a demo for a game I was interested in, beta is the new demo I guess.

Soldato
Bit off topic but what are the thoughts regarding buying into alphas and betas at reduced prices?

DayZ is an example of such. I bought it for £20 thinking that I would inevitably buy it when it came to launch so might as well get it when it is cheap.
Long story short, game has a lonnnnggggg way to come, updates are getting fewer and further between and not addressing key issues and the devs have my money. So I am quite put off by investing in early access games now too.

It's just another form of preorder really.

There are early access titles which are working much better, the DayZ guys seem to have got lazy from what I've been hearing.

As for me, I don't preorder anymore. The state of some AAA titles at launch lately has been terrible, I'd rather wait for player reviews.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom