Power Tools & General Tools Recommendations & Advice

Soldato
Any recommendations on a router? Will be working with 18-22mm MDF, shouldn't need anything too heavy duty (or expensive) but want to avoid anything too cheap that will fall apart after a small amount of use.

Hmm the main thing is bit size - 1/4 inch or 1/2 inch. The 1/2 inch bits are usually for deeper working and for heavier use. The cost difference between 1/4 and 1/2 is quite high.

I was persuaded to get a drill and a good set of chisels instead. Works well but takes longer.. but 300-400 quid for a good depth 1/2" router makes me think I'll take the time instead :D

Commissario
I picked up one of the Screwfix 1/2" routers a few years back (ebour or something similar), which has done for kitchen worktops and various other odd jobs and is still in good nick in the garage:)
I think it cost about £90 at the time, but may have been on offer.

Soldato
Soldato
Interesting - I was considering: http://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-erb380rou-2100w-router-230-240v/81664# but I read that it wasn't separate 1/4 and 1/2" but a collar insert.

Yeah, all routers that allow for different size shanks use collets as far as I am aware. My £200 Dewalt router has 1/4" and 1/2" collets. Mainly use the 1/4" collet as the bits are cheaper, but when I do a kitchen the 1/2" comes in handy for the 12mm straight cutters.

I don't usually recommend getting cheap tools, but for a router the cheaper makes seem to be fairly decent considering it's a tool that will usually get used infrequently. I use a really cheap Ferm router I got from Screwfix about 10 years ago which is still going. It gets used for light work though, like rounding over edges and using the guided trim cutter when applying edging to kitchen cabinets etc.

Last edited:
Soldato
After some advise please folks. I fancy a cordless drill for light use. I've a big beasty Bosch corded hammer drill for any work in the house as it’s the only thing I’ve used so far which gets through Accrington brick.

However for light use like drilling into wood, or putting holes in a number plate for a car it’s a big bulky along with giving the hassle of having to plug it in/find an extension cord etc.

As such I’m looking for a relatively budget (compared to the ones in the opp) cordless drill Say under £80. I’ve got various drill bits and everything else I might need so no need for a kit which some of the cheaper drills come with.

One stipulation is I need to buy it from Amazon as I have vouchers for there. Do I just go with the most expensive Bosch I can afford assuming I can’t afford something like a Makita? Or can i get away with something cheaper on the basis its only ever going to be used for light use?

Last edited:
Soldato
Right.. this is an unusual power tool recommendation - a vacuum :D

http://www.axminster.co.uk/numatic-nqs350b-22-vacuum-cleaner

Only down side is that the vacuum will continue to run, if the bag is full and it's not getting the air flow then the top unit get hot. The supplied bag doesn't open to reuse but you can get reusable ones.

Might be worth making a dust separator if you have the space. They collect all the dust in a separate bucket so that hardly any of it makes it to the vacuum. There are loads of videos on how to make one on Youtube, some more complicated than others, but all seem to work fine.

Soldato
Might be worth making a dust separator if you have the space. They collect all the dust in a separate bucket so that hardly any of it makes it to the vacuum. There are loads of videos on how to make one on Youtube, some more complicated than others, but all seem to work fine

Woo - I have some old brewing fermentors that I could use.. thanks muchly :D

Another thing I've seen is using electrostatics to get the last fine dust to stick - like a power station.

I tend to get a few types of things I think this would help with:
* fine dust from sanding/power plaining/drilling
* wood planings/chisel, metal turnings
* random metal/wood offcuts.

I think this would capture most of that.

Imy

Imy

Soldato
That's a good price for that drill. I've got the older version of that one and the only thing I don't like about it is the chuck only goes up to 10mm for metal (the one you linked to will do 13mm). Mine is the drill-driver version too (no hammer action).

Soldato
I have that drill :D

It's good, although on masonry it'll start chewing through the battery. The stop brake can cause the chuck to untighten. Using the drill to widen holes will cause the drill to start wearing and so my chuck wobbles a little.. but it's the main drilled used for everything.

There's a light in the base which is great as it lights the target area. The depth gauge works well it's light enough to hold in one hand.

Soldato
The father-in-law has decided I need his standing old band saw and router - so that cyclotronic dust extractor will be needed!

I really need to get my butt in gear to make the the work top.

Soldato
I've just completed on our first home, and treated myself to the Makita cordless drill with 101 piece accessory set on Screwfix. Comes with a 3.0 Ah Li-ion battery, and so far it's taken everything I've thrown at it and still on the first charge. Superb kit.

Caporegime
Dad brought three of his latest toys over to do some work on my house this weekend:

DeWalt DW717XPS: Effortless and perfect cuts, hard work taking it up the stairs!

DeWalt DCD776C3: Good weight and balance, lots of power, build quality is spot on.

Karcher WD3: One of the most powerfull vacs i've ever used, better with a bag than without, was sucking tile waste and rubble up of a good size.

Associate
Has anyone used or had any experience with Ryobi stuff? In particular their 18v Ion "One+" range.

It's only for home/DIY use, I'm comparing it to the Bosch and Maikita range.

Ive got a One+ impact driver and a One+ Drill, both are very good, the impact driver is fantastic, Ive also got a Dewalt drill that still gets used more often but for the price the Ryobi stuff isn't bad at all.

Back
Top Bottom