Spec me a baby monitor

Soldato
Yea, you heard. I apparently should have done this months ago, but haven't and I don't just want to go grab something random and it be rubbish.

I know there are many new dads and the like on here, so did you have to get the baby monitors and what did you go for?

:confused:

Associate
Agreeing with the others, just bought the Angelcare one myself at a slightly higher price from Mothercare.

Seems a good bit of kit compared to the others we looked at. :)

Soldato
Yea, you heard. I apparently should have done this months ago, but haven't and I don't just want to go grab something random and it be rubbish.

I know there are many new dads and the like on here, so did you have to get the baby monitors and what did you go for?

:confused:

For my first loin-fruit I bought a pretty good BT one for about £45. It did the job. Now, with my second loin-fruit, we haven't needed it at all.

Depending upon your property, I wouldn't say you definitely need one.

Soldato
We've just had to replace ours but I'm using a Motorola MBP16 and it's got fantastic battery life. But it's bare bones, our daughter is nearly 4 but is on the top floor (3 floor house) and being partially deaf I struggle to hear her if I'm in the garden/ground floor. With a baby I'd look for these features though:

Toddler button, so if the child is mumbling away to themselves it doesn't set off the speaker - allows you to sleep and only be woken when the child starts crying.

Constant mode - allows you to get a constant audio feed from the room, some monitors only activate when the child is loud enough, it's usually best to get there early and settle them before they happens.

LEDs - So you can mute it but still see if your child needs you . I.e. watching a movie, sit the monitor next to the TV and you can still see if they are making a noise. Trust me your instinct will draw your eyes to it.

Night light on/off on the remote , mine only just recently asking for hers to be on, but we turn it off when we know she's asleep, or rather we did on the previous one. The Motorola MBP16 has a night light but for some daft reason you can only turn it off directly on the bloody base unit.

Personally I'd recommend the Tomy TD300 Digital Baby Monitor or any that has all of the features above, I wouldn't skimp on any of them. You'll use this EVERY night so you might as well get one which saves you a bit of sleep. The TD300 is good but be warned you'll need to change the batteries (few quid on ebay) every 12 months.

I wouldn't want a pad for under the baby or a camera personally, unless it's a very ill child there's no need for it.

Associate
we had the Angel care can not believe how cheap it is now we paid £130 that was good price 3 years ago the pad was a comfort for my misses but scary when the alarm goes off only used pad for around a year went off about 3-4 times heart stopping noise in middle of the night if i was unlucky enough to find out i am going to be a dad again would buy another angel care

Caporegime
We just use a wireless IP video camera and view the video on table/phone.

very useful to check the baby is OK. Ours has a tendency to roll around and stick her head against the edge, the video makes it good to see that her position is OK.

When you open the door to check on her and she is half awake she will notice and then start fussing to be picked up. using the video you can check she is OK without letting her know you are there.

Last edited:
Don
Those movement pads are a waste of time, if your baby has stopped moving because of SIDS, it's far too late already - you will not resuscitate a baby that has died from SIDS, those pads are nothing more than snake oil.

The pads add unnecessary alarm / paranoia.

Soldato
Angelcare Movement and Sound Monitor AC401.

Works perfectly.

Cheapest place is - http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3768882.htm

It will sound an alarm after 20 seconds of no movement, so you can feel more confident and reassured when your baby is in their cot bed.
Sounds stupid ^. You'd have to be mental to want that.

We went for the BT Baby 250 (or its predecessor) with first child, then the BT 200 with 2nd. The more expensive unit was a bit better, with more granular audio controls.

Don
We have a Motorola MBP36. It's really good.
Excellent picture day or night, leds on the top indicating sound if you have it muted etc., you can talk to baby through it, remote moveable camera, can play music through it etc etc.

It wasn't cheap at £100 but I'm really impressed with it.

Soldato
Sounds stupid ^. You'd have to be mental to want that.

We went for the BT Baby 250 (or its predecessor) with first child, then the BT 200 with 2nd. The more expensive unit was a bit better, with more granular audio controls.

Thats because its for parents who leave their screaming babies alone in their cot. Nothing screams abandonment more to a baby then leaving a screaming baby in the cot to "Cry it out".

Soldato
Thats because its for parents who leave their screaming babies alone in their cot. Nothing screams abandonment more to a baby then leaving a screaming baby in the cot to "Cry it out".

How the hell is a pad which causes an alarm to sound if the baby stops moving for twenty seconds for 'parents who leave their screaming babies alone in their cot'?

Back
Top Bottom