Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Man of Honour
FWIW I ditched freenas as I was getting terrible transfer rates. Using iperf over gigabit lan it was around 600m/bit which was impacting transfer rates with CIFS aharws

Moved to a slightly unorthodox method of using ZFS on debian, and iperf now tops out around 900m/bit which a big improvement on reads and writes across the network

Associate
Just bought one of these, was going to go for a free OS but I have been looking into Windows Home Server 2011 and have seen it mentioned a lot in here, but I can't find out where to get it from? Do I need a CAL for every device accessing the server?

Associate
Anyone installed the latest, or any, AMD Radeon drivers on windows 2012 essentials r2?

Upgraded my micro-servers to it now and cant get drivers to work dohhh

EDIT: Resolved it, hacked the 13.3 drivers with Orca.

Last edited:
Soldato
Quick Q guys, is anyone running ESXi with 8GB memory on their MS? If so how many guest OS's do you run (total and at any one time)

Thinking of re-tasking the windows server build into an ESXi build running Xpenology, Ubuntu-server(s) (for DNS, LAMP/Wordpress) and Windows 8.1

***I have 16GB available if I take that out of the current "home" server Ubuntu build but I'd rather not do that if I can help it.

Last edited:
Associate
My 8GB box has running...

1 x 2008 R2 (Remote Desktop Gateway)
1 x 2003 (Domain Controller)
1 x Arch Linux (Plex Media Server)
1 x Windows 7 (Client)

Sitting on 5GB used memory atm. The slowest part of my setup is the discs as they not raided. There's also 10 other VM's but they are turned off.

Soldato
8Gb should fine. I run Xpenology and Windows 7 on my ESXi with no issues. I've plenty memory left over too!

My 8GB box has running...

1 x 2008 R2 (Remote Desktop Gateway)
1 x 2003 (Domain Controller)
1 x Arch Linux (Plex Media Server)
1 x Windows 7 (Client)

Sitting on 5GB used memory atm. The slowest part of my setup is the discs as they not raided. There's also 10 other VM's but they are turned off.

Marvellous, thanks guys :)

Guess my gaming night has gone out the window Friday then lol

Man of Honour
With 8gb ram, avoid allocating more than 7gb to the vm's as esxi will be constantly swapping ram.

I had two vm's with 4gb allocated each and after a good hour server 2008 r2 install was still going. Dropped it to 2gb and it was installed in less than 20 minutes.

edit: this guide will come in handy for setting up RDM to pass through your drives to xpenology

http://blog.davidwarburton.net/2010/10/25/rdm-mapping-of-local-sata-storage-for-esxi/

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Not sure what industry accepted standards are etc but I'd rather use RDM than creating a vmdk on each drive and passing that to the guest os.

I believe performance is slightly better with RDM too.

In an ideal world for a storage server you would be passing through a controller to the guest OS although that option isn't available on the Microserver

Soldato
I quick google with obvious keywords yields a walkthrough for Snow Lep Server on an N36L which identical apart from the CPU. I'm not going to link it as it's a breach of the EULA with the HP not being Apple hardware.

Other than that, perhaps VMWare ESXi with an unlock for OS X Server if you want to run a more recent version.

Associate
For anyone who has bought an N54L recently looks like you can get some cash back from HP. Was just checking out the Gen 8 cash back offer out of curiosity and the G7 N54L is still listed. Going to send mine off later today, will update what they pay out.

Realised the link I posted was out of date, I have a form which is still in date with the N54L listed, but don't want to link as it is hosted on a competitors site. Will upload it somewhere and add the link in later.

Updated link

Last edited:

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

For anyone who has bought an N54L recently looks like you can get some cash back from HP. Was just checking out the Gen 8 cash back offer out of curiosity and the G7 N54L is still listed. Going to send mine off later today, will update what they pay out.

Realised the link I posted was out of date, I have a form which is still in date with the N54L listed, but don't want to link as it is hosted on a competitors site. Will upload it somewhere and add the link in later.

Updated link
This cashback only applies if you bought a server with Windows bundled. The cashback component is against the Windows license, not against the hardware.

Soldato
so after changing the PSU to Streacom Nano 150W, the noisiest part is the fan.

Can you recommend any aftermarket replacement that will 100% work? I've tried several that I have spare at home and they won't spin.

budget is flexible, but I guess I should not spend more than 10 quid. the emphasis is on lowest noise possible.

thanks

Back
Top Bottom