Shutdown always restarts

Soldato
Hi all,

I've been having an issue with my PC for a while, when I shutdown it turns off then 3/4 seconds later it will power on and restart.

I have:
disabled all wake on LAN type things in BIOS
disabled hibernation/sleep modes
disconnected the case power switch
removed all USB devices
Shutdown via DOS with switches to ignore everything
Disabled the restart on BSOD
Event log doesn't show any issues on shutdown
Windows has been reinstalled (for a new SSD) and still the same

I'm assuming it has to be the MB or PSU, neither of which I have spares to test
Any suggestions for this please? I've run out of ideas now.

Associate
Go to device manager and expand network adapters. Right click, properties and under power managment check that you do not have the 'allowed to wake' option ticked.

You could also try going into the system protection, system properties, advanced, startup and recovery settings and unchecking automatically restart.

Last edited:
Soldato
Soldato
Waaaait :D Take the mouse and kb out as soon as you press the shut down button on windows. I have an issue where if I press a mouse button the computer turns on. Look for "ErP" in the BIOS and enable it if taking the kb/mouse out solves it/try it anyway.

Soldato
OP
Well bought a new PSU since that would cheaper than replacing the mb and less hassle. Not to mention 1366 boards are eol now so would prob end up getting cpu and ram.

Anyway its still restarting on the new PSU -.-
I really hate this mb, been no end of issues with it

Soldato
OP
Its the rev 1, I tried the f8b a while back (and all the others) but went back to the F7 for a reason I forget now. However it was still happening on f8b.

No dual bios on the 280, but that's only a few weeks old and it was happening on my 5850.
Pretty sure I tried it without the sound card ages ago when I took the board out of the case to run it, but I'll give it a go now to double check..

Soldato
OP
Still the same without the soundcard.
I've tried without the case button pcb connected at all and it still rebooted.

99% sure i have the power on after ac loss disabled (along with all other extra power options) but I will double check those now.

Soldato
OP
Yeah power on after ac loss is disabled. Cheers for the suggestions, going to hit bed now but if you have any more I'll have another go after work tomorrow. :)

Back
Top Bottom