Can I use the same OEM key on the same PC again?

Associate
I used a windows 8 OEM edition disk to install windows 8 onto my self built PC. I created a recovery disk once installed, and subsequently lost it (like you do).

My pc is now running hopelessly slowly. If I try to do a clean install of Windows 8 from the OEM disk will it allow me to? I know you can only install it on one computer, but how will it know that I am installing it on the same pc, rather than a different one with the same motherboard? Does the motherboard have a unique ID that it uses or something?

Thanks

Caporegime
Even if it doesn't work (there is no reason why this should be the case) a number for Microsoft will come up on the screen, which you can ring, and they will activate it for you anyway.

They activate practically anything over the phone. :p

*installs OEM OS on second PC, OS key rejected*
"Hi, it says the key is rejected?"
- "How many PC's have you got the OS installed on?"
"Just this one."
- "Okay, I have your new activation key here for you!"

:p

Associate
This ^ I've just installed my Win 7 OEM on it's fourth completely different PC built/laptop. Only ever using on one PC at a time though of course.

This last time I had to ring Microsoft and go through an automated verification process which took about 5 minutes but worked seamlessly :)

Soldato
Can't you just do a system refresh? That was one of the features of Windows 8 that meant you should never need to reinstall the OS - refresh it back to how it was when you first installed it.

Back
Top Bottom