Multirotor, multicopter and quadcopter discussion - The Drone thread

Man of Honour
Where'd you get that from? FPV is illegal for VLoS operations (pretty much every operation unless again you have special exemptions from the CAA), regardless of having an observer or not.

And regardless of FPV, the limit is 400ft.

They have made a change for FPV (non commercial I think). The key is you are flying a SUV, so under 3.5KG and have a observer. The document seems to be a exemption of other rules.

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/ORS4%20No.%201011%20Small%20Unmanned%20Aircraft.pdf

Last edited:
Soldato
All these laws seem pretty pointless if they are not enforced.

Someone last week was flying a DJI Phantom in a park on a hot day recording someone juggling. There were hundreds if not thousands of people in the park and the phantom was flying pretty close (~10 - 20 meters) to many people.

If he lost control of the Phantom it would cause serious injury to someone if it hit them.

What if you are with a group of people you know, is that allowed?
How does it differ for people you don't know?
Do you need to sign something that says its ok to be recorded?

There were also community support officers and police officers walking up and down through the park as there were many people - They did not say anything to the group of jugglers or the guy flying the Phantom and recording

Don
The problem is that the technology is progressing faster than laws can be made to regulate it.
What's going to happen when autonomous filming drones hit the market next year? Will they be completely illegal immediately?

By the way Russ, I've had to knock the whole idea on the head. Spoke to EuroUSC about my MS and they said that it's unlikely I will get permission for aerial work based on the letter of the law and the number of relapses I've had in the last 2 years. So, S800 will probably go up for sale at some point as I can't justify £4000 as a toy.

It's really stupid to be honest. I'm allowed to fly as a hobbyist but if I want to be safe, get certified and maybe charge people for photographs from time to time I can get lost. The flying is the same. The kit is the same. My medical condition is the same. The only difference is the exchange of monies for pictures.

Soldato
Yeah because your UAV is a fat ass ;)

Ha, true. I landed up buying an X4 for fun; obligatory photo of the two of them side by side (or maybe on top of the S1000) :p.

All these laws seem pretty pointless if they are not enforced.

Someone last week was flying a DJI Phantom in a park on a hot day recording someone juggling. There were hundreds if not thousands of people in the park and the phantom was flying pretty close (~10 - 20 meters) to many people.

If he lost control of the Phantom it would cause serious injury to someone if it hit them.

What if you are with a group of people you know, is that allowed?
How does it differ for people you don't know?
Do you need to sign something that says its ok to be recorded?

There were also community support officers and police officers walking up and down through the park as there were many people - They did not say anything to the group of jugglers or the guy flying the Phantom and recording

You're crossing two law areas there. For a start if you're on public property then you can film/photograph anyone you like without permission, and do anything you want with it so long as it's not commercial (and then you'll need a model release).

But if your UAV does have a camera on it then yes the normal rules apply. My own definition of 'under control' means involved in the operation, aware of the operation or able to be moved without fuss if they need to be. For example if you were working at a school, it may not be feasible (or advisable) to tell every student about the shoot but so long as you have a teacher with you as the client then any student can be moved/dealt with quickly and without argument.

But yeah, not a busy park :p. But then common sense applies, and if you can do the same thing legally if you're not carrying a camera it kind of makes the rule defunct; an camera attached isn't going to be cause of injury if 4 spinning rotors hit someone in the head.

The problem is that the technology is progressing faster than laws can be made to regulate it.
What's going to happen when autonomous filming drones hit the market next year? Will they be completely illegal immediately?

This really. The CAA is an old institution who's rules hardly ever change, only get added to with each incident.

By the way Russ, I've had to knock the whole idea on the head. Spoke to EuroUSC about my MS and they said that it's unlikely I will get permission for aerial work based on the letter of the law and the number of relapses I've had in the last 2 years. So, S800 will probably go up for sale at some point as I can't justify £4000 as a toy.

It's really stupid to be honest. I'm allowed to fly as a hobbyist but if I want to be safe, get certified and maybe charge people for photographs from time to time I can get lost. The flying is the same. The kit is the same. My medical condition is the same. The only difference is the exchange of monies for pictures.

That sucks mate :(.

Associate

This is where the law sucks, but i guess there is no way of getting an exemption or public liability insurance that'll take into account MS?

Soldato
need some guidance/motivation guys.

esc's/motors are mounted and my v8fr-2 is now bound to my turnigy 9xr.

what should i do now? fir the control board and connect to the receiver?

Associate
need some guidance/motivation guys.

esc's/motors are mounted and my v8fr-2 is now bound to my turnigy 9xr.

what should i do now? fir the control board and connect to the receiver?

Looks like to move on you need to both wire the ESCs to FC, receiver to FC and ESCs to power to start testing stuff?

Don
This is where the law sucks, but i guess there is no way of getting an exemption or public liability insurance that'll take into account MS?

Unfortunately not. You have to submit a medical report with your application to the CAA for permission to undertake aerial work. They will just reject it no matter what PLI I have.

Associate
Fitted the NAZA last night, took me much longer than I though it would

Most of my time was wasted trying get the 3 position switch working on my Turnigy 9X with the stock firmware. Got there in the end at about 10PM

I'll give it a test flight tonight hopefully

I think I'll be upgrading to ER9X firmware over the weekend

Man of Honour
Early morning FPV flight before work... could have gone further but with water either side I bottled it at 1.4KM. I love the way it's probably a 40 min walk up to the top, I got there in just 2mins :)

http://www.flytrex.com/mission/hexacopter-dji-f550-dan-bailey-53558/

GOPR7977.MP4_snapshot_04.41_%5B2014.07.25_09.02.35%5D.jpg

Associate
Back
Top Bottom