eBay and their fees...!?

Soldato
Just take all fees into account when you list an item. EBay still gives you access to more potential buyers than any other service out there.
If you want a smaller audience then sure, there are plenty of services out there that charge less - you pay your money, you get your service.

Soldato
It's a high fee, but the marketplace is huge and you get a strong market rate for everything. I've sold some seriously worthless junk on ebay for actual money.

I went through a phase (when I had more spare time) of listing 20-30 items of complete tat, of which half might sell and I might average a sale price of £3 on each. £30-£50 profit for stuff I would otherwise chuck in the bin, or get about £5 for at a car boot sale.

Associate
It depends what you're selling. I sold off a lot of old Gamecube, Xbox, & 360 games. I had a look around to see what the selling price would be (roughly), then added the 14% to the starting price and started the auction from there

Soldato
I've just put a car on there so unless I can get the buyer to cancel the auction, that'll be a £75 fee on top of the £12.99 listing fee!

Then again... In the 3 weeks my Mini has been on Gumtree it has had 24 views and a couple of insulting offers have come from that...

In the 3 hours it has been on eBay this morning I have had 8 views and someone has offered a sensible part/ex... I'm just waiting to hear how much cash plus his 05 plate focus he is willing to offer :)

Soldato
If you value your time, take the hit on the fees. Gumtree is 95% scumbags or timewasters.

"Hello, is your item still for sale?"
*6 text messages later filled with inane questions that have already answered by the information in your advert*
"ok I'll buy it, I'll be there at 6"
"ok here's my address"

6:00... no one turns up. Call them at 6:30, no answer.

That occurs so often I just can't be bothered. Unless it's a large item that I can't post, I will put it on ebay and take the hit. You pay the fees to filter out most of the riff raff.

Associate
Ebay fees are quite high - but you can be 100% certain that your item will sell, and for very close to the same price as similar recent completed listings. So I just put up with it!

My mates always try Gumtree or the Friday-Ad (local paper) but nothing ever sells....

Associate
Ebay is too expensive and full of idiots. One woman I sold a cd to left me neutral feedback stating the item was ok but she did not like the colour of the jiffy bag I used (it was orange - got 10 in various sized colours from poundland). Also ebay is full of scammers, I got ripped off via paypal on watch I sold. Use Gumtree, Used Dudley, Loot etc.

Soldato
Soldato
Say you have a PC to sell for £1000 - almost £150 is GONE! Instant. Bang. Kapeesh. Gone. £850 left, and that's before postage comes in to play! Imagine how many beers you could buy with that £150...

Soldato
Say you have a PC to sell for £1000 - almost £150 is GONE! Instant. Bang. Kapeesh. Gone. £850 left, and that's before postage comes in to play! Imagine how many beers you could buy with that £150...

Yeah, but ebay prices are higher than other places. Just look at what stuff goes for in the MM here: the seller gets roughly the same cash

Back
Top Bottom