Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Depends on the type of ride and ability of riders.

The time taken to go from bars to brakes could cause lots of crashes with people unused to bunch riding which is probably why they are discouraged.

Associate
2.3 You are not permitted to use the following items in the Event:-
2.3.1 subject to Condition 2.5, any artificial or mechanical aid (including without limitation hand-cranked devices); or
2.3.2 any pets or animals; or
2.3.3 any unconventional handlebars, including triathlon bars, aero bars, clip-ons, prayer bars, Spinaci bars and cow bars;

http://www.prudentialridelondon.co.uk/Terms_and_Conditions/100_Terms___Conditions.htm

But last year I did see people with aero bars. I don't think the stewards even know what they are so weren't turning people away but for the safety of others I don't think you should be using them.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Am feeling dead today. Peak of triathlon training is today and tomorrow and with all this heat it's killed me :D

Basically need to concentrate on getting some calories and fluids in and having a good old rest. Doesn't help that she has been away for a week, which means the cat has been pestering me in the middle of the night for attention every night this week instead of spreading his efforts between us. I woke up this morning covered in dirty paw prints, so god knows what or where he was up to before :p

Caporegime
No pets or animals either remember.

Offtopic, but on the subject of pets and animals, I was out riding the other day and got overtaken by a car with a dog hanging out of the passenger window. It barked at me as it went past and scared the life out of me - I didn't even realise what was going on until the car had passed me - all I heard was a sudden WUFFWUFFWUFFWUFF in my ear as the car came alongside.

It's distracting enough having girls swooning at my lycra clad rippling physique as I glide past, but barking dogs is one step too far.

Soldato
I obviously wouldn't use them whilst drafting people. They would be for solo efforts.

However, if it is potentially going to cause me grief I'll just remove them.

I would have thought with 16k people doing the Ride100 you wouldn't get a chance to use them? There will be no solo efforts, and besides, I would want to enjoy the closed roads as much as possible, wouldn't want to be absolutely hooning it round the whole way, and would take time to appreciate whats to the left and right of the road as well as chatting to a lot of like minded cyclists without the fear of being killed by a lorry.

Soldato
I would have thought with 16k people doing the Ride100 you wouldn't get a chance to use them? There will be no solo efforts, and besides, I would want to enjoy the closed roads as much as possible, wouldn't want to be absolutely hooning it round the whole way, and would take time to appreciate whats to the left and right of the road as well as chatting to a lot of like minded cyclists without the fear of being killed by a lorry.

what? cycling without fear of being killed by a lorry? not a concept I understand.

Caporegime
Oh right, the website looks like its geared up for trying to push premium. Thought the starter package was a few rides only then you had to pay.

I think that RWG is the first website I've seen recommend I use .TCX files, most Ive seen recommend .GPX for the edge 800.

Last edited:
Soldato

Taking in the scenery and chatting to cyclists isn't why I'm participating. I want to push myself physically to get a fast time and I get enjoyment from "hooning it". That is easier to do with closed roads.:D

Soldato
I've just registered for a 160km sportive in September, which is much further than I've ridden before. I take it the best way to prepare is to ride increasingly longer distances on the run up to it?

What would you do for food/nutrition over such a length ride?

Thanks

Caporegime
I've just registered for a 160km sportive in September, which is much further than I've ridden before. I take it the best way to prepare is to ride increasingly longer distances on the run up to it?

What would you do for food/nutrition over such a length ride?

Thanks

Yep, build up your distance. I did 100 miles for the first time last year, and the longest I'd done previously was 62 miles. By the time it got to the last 20odd miles I was dying, but I think that was as much to do with the heat and my lack of food as it was to do with the sheer distance.

Foodwise, I had:

Porridge and toast for breakfast.
Some high energy, high protein broscience milk drink before I started.
3 sachets of High5 energy drink, and I wish I'd had 4.
A couple of bottles of water with electrolyte tabs.
Several energy gels.
Two chunks of flapjack.
A banana.
A cake at one of the stops.

In retrospect I really should have taken a lot more flapjack and another sachet of energy drink, because by the end of it I was knackered and my stomach was going mental for want of something to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom