The nervous wait to exchange....

noj

noj

Associate
OP
We're in.

Completed at 11am this morning.

Place was an absolute sty when we arrived, wasn't expecting a show home but it was a state. Had to deep clean every room before unpacking, not cool with a 1 year old toddling about.

The place we moved out of was immaculate, we couldn't have left it any other way. Shame others don't feel the same way. Bad karma yo.

But still, we're in. Let the DIY and build threads commence. :)

yay!

Yeah, the place is in a state but you're in now and get the fun of finding all the stuff they left....how was the loft :p

as for us...we've been in a week now and loving it. There was, naturally, last minute drama when the da before completion I get an email at 3pm from the solicitors telling me they didn't have enough money to complete! they wanted another £65......a phonecall telling them how unimpressed I was that they were telling me at 3pm the day before having already sent me the completion statements the week before which I'd sorted did the trick, they covered the £65 until the transfer arrived and we completed at 1.30 on 15th :)

Associate
week 17 and we still have not got the fixture and fittings, the person we are buying from was holding the chain up, didnt have a mortgage and had put an offer on a house! then didnt know if she wanted to keep the cur-tines in the house( just take it all )then turn out doesn't use the post so has to deliver everything by hand because she does not drive, and chose a solicitor 25 miles away, we finaly got the the contract 2 days ago. got a call 10 mins after faxing it back saying completion date 1st of august, an hour later guess what the women we are buying from is going to a trip to London that day. so pushed it back another week. i would love to punch her in the face for being such a tool!

Soldato
Update! I've had a quote back from Rentokil for treating the dry rot and beetle infestations. It's going to cost £2,083 which will include replacement treated timber and plasterboarding. We've asked the vendor to pay for it to seal the deal via a retention, which I believe he'll definitely go for, and we're away!

Super relieved that it hasn't spread any further / isn't going to fall apart! Now super excited again. :)

Soldato
Just went to the house I'm meant to be completing next week to take some measurements, where the vendors were meant to have moved out two weeks ago. Turns out the house they were buying has fell through and they have found a house but aren't moving in for 2-3 weeks. It would have been nice for someone to tell me!

Last edited:
yay!

Yeah, the place is in a state but you're in now and get the fun of finding all the stuff they left....how was the loft :p

as for us...we've been in a week now and loving it. There was, naturally, last minute drama when the da before completion I get an email at 3pm from the solicitors telling me they didn't have enough money to complete! they wanted another £65......a phonecall telling them how unimpressed I was that they were telling me at 3pm the day before having already sent me the completion statements the week before which I'd sorted did the trick, they covered the £65 until the transfer arrived and we completed at 1.30 on 15th :)

Unboarded and empty. The guy even took the installed light. Seriously.

Set my office up today, and the VirginMedia man made Internet happen. 152mb down is literally blowing my mind. :D

-

Least you got the call day before completion, but still - you can't fathom the mindset can you? I'm so glad this is all over, and for you too matey. In fact for everyone else that completes, has completed and wants to complete the whole process can't be over soon enough.

Gonna take a good few months to get back to normal and get over this whole torrid and draining affair that's for sure. We're both utterly ruined, I'm an anxious and stressed out mess and the Mrs is dead on her feet from holding it all together, packing and looking after our son.

But I sit here in my office sipping a beer and typing out a post to you all, utterly enthralled that it's all over. :D

Good luck and good speed to you all. :D

DiG

DiG

Associate
Stories of completion are encouraging! Glad to see there is an end to it all.

What method have people found most effective for hurrying solicitors along? Ours are being pretty slow, they sent a few questions to the sellers solicitors and are going to leave it a full week before even phoning them to chase, I want them to be a little more proactive. I don't want to get to the end of that week to find the sellers solicitors never received the questions!

Is it just a case of phoning the solicitors lots even though they have already told me it will be a week before they expect anything to happen?

Soldato
Stories of completion are encouraging! Glad to see there is an end to it all.

What method have people found most effective for hurrying solicitors along? Ours are being pretty slow, they sent a few questions to the sellers solicitors and are going to leave it a full week before even phoning them to chase, I want them to be a little more proactive. I don't want to get to the end of that week to find the sellers solicitors never received the questions!

Is it just a case of phoning the solicitors lots even though they have already told me it will be a week before they expect anything to happen?

I've found so far, that even if I chase, nothing still happens any faster.

Associate
Threats. I threatened to pull out if it didn't happen on the day I wanted (actually about 2 months after the day I ACTUALLY wanted).
I really was all set to pull out and end it if it didn't happen.
If anyone is using Countrywide then I really feel sorry for you.
If you're about to buy then take my advice. Avoid them like the plague (the plague I wished on all of them!!)

Soldato
Threats from my vendor this time. We've been on schedule to exchange today or tomorrow for ages, and this morning my solicitor gets an email from theirs saying they want to withdraw. Then another email asking how far along we are. :confused:

They've agreed they'd pay for the dry rot treatment, but now they're making noises like they don't want to, and this is all thrown in together with demanding that it needs to be done ASAP and we need to complete yesterday.

We're all set to exchange today, and the solicitor has told theirs exactly that. If they do it, it's easy street. Essentially today I find out if I'm actually getting the house or not.

This seller is a penis.

Associate
Our buyers were using these guys through Santander. Our solicitor said they were the worst people to deal with, like phones ringing/on hold for 45 minutes before first answer bad. :(

I used them on my first buy 7 years ago and they were utter rubbish then and I am not surprised they still are! Took 5 months from offer to completion and there was no one living in the flat to move out so no chain! Countrywide idiots. :mad:

I moved into my house this year and used a local solicitor this time so I could knock on the door when chasing needed doing, they were a bit more expensive but worth every penny of it, because from offer accepted to completion day was 2 months exactly.

My advice, go local and don't be sucked in but these ones offered by your estate agent or mortgage company.

noj

noj

Associate
OP
Threats from my vendor this time. We've been on schedule to exchange today or tomorrow for ages, and this morning my solicitor gets an email from theirs saying they want to withdraw. Then another email asking how far along we are. :confused:

They've agreed they'd pay for the dry rot treatment, but now they're making noises like they don't want to, and this is all thrown in together with demanding that it needs to be done ASAP and we need to complete yesterday.

We're all set to exchange today, and the solicitor has told theirs exactly that. If they do it, it's easy street. Essentially today I find out if I'm actually getting the house or not.

This seller is a penis.

stick to your guns, they're probably just trying to pressure you to exchange without them paying for the dry rot treatment.
Its hard because you've become attached to the house but stick with it and you'll be ok.

Fingers crossed for you :)

Soldato

Firstly ignore them - they're in a much worse position (selling) than you are buying.

Secondly - if they are trying to rush it through make sure that there is nothing else wrong with the house.

I've been stung in the past with damp and if I ever see it on a survey I run a mile - it's not worth the hassle. Whilst the problem seems to be rot on yours I'd be trying to get in a position that if it returns then you have a warranty or such like.

M.

Soldato
Thanks for the advice Noj and Macca.

They've backed down to an extent now, and we're due to exchange tomorrow. The building survey I had done was very thorough, and I know why they're trying to rush it. They've put a non-refundable deposit down on a house in America, and if it doesn't exchange in time, they lose around £30k. Morons.

They've said they'll pay for the treatment provided that it's a term of the mortgage. I'm fairly sure it is (it turns up in the valuation), but the solicitor is going to make sure.

Good news that you're moved in chopper! Can we have some pictures of people moved in to give me some positive mental attitude? :)

Thanks for the advice Noj and Macca.

They've backed down to an extent now, and we're due to exchange tomorrow. The building survey I had done was very thorough, and I know why they're trying to rush it. They've put a non-refundable deposit down on a house in America, and if it doesn't exchange in time, they lose around £30k. Morons.

They've said they'll pay for the treatment provided that it's a term of the mortgage. I'm fairly sure it is (it turns up in the valuation), but the solicitor is going to make sure.

Good news that you're moved in chopper! Can we have some pictures of people moved in to give me some positive mental attitude? :)

How does the old saying go? "**** poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine." :)

Got my office set up over the weekend, CAT6 going in shortly. 19" rack arrives for the cupboard under the stairs later today. :D

0nOrJ3I.jpg

Associate
How does the old saying go? "**** poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine." :)

Got my office set up over the weekend, CAT6 going in shortly. 19" rack arrives for the cupboard under the stairs later today. :D

0nOrJ3I.jpg

where did you get the stuff to make that desk, and how much ?
as im looking to do the same.

Back
Top Bottom