Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
Has anyone had any experience with getting a bike using Cyclescheme at work for their OH/partner/Mrs?

Think the T&C's state it has to be for yourself, but I'm pretty sure some/most bike shops would allow it.

I think it would be up to the shop but I can't imagine that they would be that funny about it as it's more business for them at the end of the day.

Soldato
The new LOOK 795 Aerolight.

Om nom nom.

It's certainly got marmite looks but I think it stands out and looks great.

I won't be buying one at £7k for one with DA though!

Soldato
Has anyone had any experience with getting a bike using Cyclescheme at work for their OH/partner/Mrs?

Think the T&C's state it has to be for yourself, but I'm pretty sure some/most bike shops would allow it.

used my wife's NHS cycle to work scheme - each shop is different, one said they weren't keen, other one said yes no problem - do it all the time. They gave me all the stuff with an order for a XS frame size on it, but really ordered me the XL size. No one checks anything. Had zero hassle.

Associate
I think it would be up to the shop but I can't imagine that they would be that funny about it as it's more business for them at the end of the day.

That's what I thought really! They still get the money for it...

Surely I should be able to pick and buy a bike that I want - even if that is a womens specific road bike suitable for a 5'5 rider!

Associate
How noisy is it? I've finally got room to get a turbo and will be adding one to the rollers this year - but the only place I can use it is the garage which is under the neighbours house, and they have young children..

I've got the Tacx Blue Motion. It's quiet, much more so than the cheaper one I used to use. Using a turbo trainer tyre helped a lot with noise.

Soldato
Look good, where did you get them? Quite interested in trying some flat bars myself.

Got them from here, http://www.velobuildmall.com/hb-005-carbon-fiber-integrated-handlebars/

But if you search on aliexpress for HB005 there are lots of companies selling them. I had to pay $40 for shipping on top of the cost on the VBM website.

Looks good. How much was the vaseline that you smeared all over your camera lens though?

That'll be the "u-focus" on the HTC One M8, does look a bit strange :)

Man of Honour
Got them from here, http://www.velobuildmall.com/hb-005-carbon-fiber-integrated-handlebars/

But if you search on aliexpress for HB005 there are lots of companies selling them. I had to pay $40 for shipping on top of the cost on the VBM website.

That'll be the "u-focus" on the HTC One M8, does look a bit strange :)

Interesting handlebars anyhow. I wonder how much weight I would save with them, in addition to the comfort factor. My 105 has under-tape routing though so that might nullify some of the comfort improvements.

Maybe these would be more appropriate for my bike?

http://www.velobuildmall.com/hb-008-carbon-aero-wing-handlebars-with-internal-routing/

Last edited:
Soldato
Interesting handlebars anyhow. I wonder how much weight I would save with them, in addition to the comfort factor. My 105 has under-tape routing though so that might nullify some of the comfort improvements.

Maybe these would be more appropriate for my bike?

http://www.velobuildmall.com/hb-008-carbon-aero-wing-handlebars-with-internal-routing/

The ones I bought do also have internal routing for gears and brakes, unfortunately my gears are not compatible, will probably upgrade those next year, spent way too much this summer on the bike!

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Good job I broke my pre-triathlon 'no riding this week' rule yesterday. Noticed a bit of a creak on the way in and the back gears kept losing their indexing. Then the creaking became more of a grinding and I narrowed it down to the downstroke on the left crank. Figured something was flexing. When I checked it I noticed one of the crank bolts wasn't as tight as I'd like (but not a worry), the bottom bracket accepted a bit of a tighten (though this is quite normal for a new BB), but most importantly was when I went took the drive side crank off I noticed all 5 chainring bolts were completely loose and one was about to fall out :eek:

That would have been great, right in the middle of the tri :eek:

Caporegime
Good job I broke my pre-triathlon 'no riding this week' rule yesterday. Noticed a bit of a creak on the way in and the back gears kept losing their indexing. Then the creaking became more of a grinding and I narrowed it down to the downstroke on the left crank. Figured something was flexing. When I checked it I noticed one of the crank bolts wasn't as tight as I'd like (but not a worry), the bottom bracket accepted a bit of a tighten (though this is quite normal for a new BB), but most importantly was when I went took the drive side crank off I noticed all 5 chainring bolts were completely loose and one was about to fall out :eek:

That would have been great, right in the middle of the tri :eek:

:eek:

I'm clinging on to the hope that the spacers for my new wheels will be at home when I get in. I want to test my new wheels before the triathlon. If the spacers arrive tomorrow, then yeah, I could just fit the wheels and travel on down, but then the first time I'll be riding on them will be on the way to the triathlon, so if anything goes pop at that point I'm screwed.

Soldato
They all say only available with purchase of a frame - is that actually so?

Nope, what that means is its only free delivery that is included with a bike purchase, they will ask you to pay a $40 shipping fee afterward, I bought some carbon spacers and some bottle cages at the same time.

Also they measure the bars middle to middle, and not outside to outside, so My 440mm are 460mm. I went for a 110mm Stem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom