The Display Cabinet

Soldato
Warbie, would you do me a huge favour and explain how you painted those skin tones on your zombies? Both colours, just what paint colours and orders you used :D

Soldato
Warbie, would you do me a huge favour and explain how you painted those skin tones on your zombies? Both colours, just what paint colours and orders you used :D

Sure - I'm not doing anything fancy. GW pallid wych flesh for the white zombies and army painter necrotic flesh for the green. With the first I mix a little white for extreme highlights and then dip in army painter strong shade. With the green I do thin coats so the white of the undercoat shows through a very tiny bit on the raised areas and use the same dip. The shading is mostly all done with the dip. The highlighting is done by, after you've shaken off/removed the excess dip, dipping an old brush in white spirit, wiping most of it off, and then gently removing the dip from raised areas. Much like dry brushing except you're removing rather than adding. A little like oil painting - the dip takes a few minutes to dry so there's plenty of time. I've given up on more traditional wet blending and two brush techniques - as I can't do them at all! - and am not happy with my results by slapping on layers or dry brushing, and this way works best for me. Plus it's quick and relatively easy!

Here's a close up. So far i'm most happy with the grey suit :)

vrvlvt.jpg

The downsides to this - all the shading is the same colour and dark colours don't turn out too well as removing the dip doesn't reveal a lighter colour underneath.

Last edited:
Soldato
Awesome post mate thanks. So would I get a similar result by using plenty of a dark wash over a flesh base, keeping the highest parts reasonably untouched, and maybe touch them up again later?

Soldato
Maybe, I reckon it would turn out quite dark. I've tried with normal inks and couldn't get it right for me. The dip i'm talking about is this stuff:

crystal-blue-shotte-step-3.jpg

It works better for me by painting it on tho and doing a little basic highlighting first. Then wipe off the raised areas to blend highlights in a bit. It's very messy and you'll need white spirits to clean brushes after! It also leaves the models super shiny, so a dull coat is needed - I use Testors.

Last edited:
Soldato
Wounded, been painting all week and I've only managed 7 figures so far ;(

uqK4yIS.jpg

MWRZkdw.jpg

All painted by me; except for the female fatty who was painted by my missus :)

Associate
Had a bit of time to kill this weekend so I spent about an hour teaching my girlfriend a few painting techniques, started off nice and simple and did a zombie! I dont have a pic of her one but here was mine.

Associate
I don't paint figures anymore but do plenty of this stuff, scratch built from Balsa, peanut bird feeder and pre made barb wire due to the small scale, usually make my own at larger scales.. Christmas gift for a mate

imagejpg1_zps1433e0b5.jpg

Associate
New member here...joined to get advice on a graphics card, but saw this section and thought I'd post a few pics of my latest minis from space hulk and Warhammer quest:

2B249DE9-564C-4471-BE57-0ABD0681A381.jpg

AE139680-9D6E-4140-999E-8843836DD913.jpg

1771544b8f9ba433f26d7eaca9af8854.jpg

20daa88c0c6ca9033a6df641f85916c2.jpg

Antony

Soldato
Very nice stuff there anTTony and James :)

The zombicide models make me want to paint mine but that means each time we play it people will see how crap I am lol

Back
Top Bottom