Remapping a BMW

Soldato
Angel Tuning in Banbury are very good (did my Mondeo TDCi from 150hp/250ft-lbs to 185hp/350ft-lbs) and they have a Jensen Interceptor restoration firm 30sec from their front door if you like drooling over older cars!

Soldato
Say goodbye to a huge chunk/all of the savings you will have made by buying a diesel and any warranty you have!

Can't say i'd bother tbh, especially as you are already wanting to buy the new CTR when it comes out.

Soldato
Mostly not worth the money? I just don't get it personally. I can't think of a single thing that is "more worth the money" than a simple remap on a wee turbocharged motor. The car will be miles faster, and have better fuel economy (although probably not at the same time). There is no better "bang for buck" mod than remapping a turbocharged / supercharged motor.

NA should look elsewhere though. If you have a NA motor, the only financially sound path (read : less risky) is to sell up and buy a faster one.

Soldato
Mostly not worth the money? I just don't get it personally. I can't think of a single thing that is "more worth the money" than a simple remap on a wee turbocharged motor. The car will be miles faster, and have better fuel economy (although probably not at the same time). There is no better "bang for buck" mod than remapping a turbocharged / supercharged motor.

NA should look elsewhere though. If you have a NA motor, the only financially sound path (read : less risky) is to sell up and buy a faster one.

There's a lot of mixed opinions from what I've read. Been contemplating a remap for my 2.0 TFSI but wondering if the reward is worth bothering with. Would be nice to know how much power I can [safely] get out out the car before upgrading.

Soldato
You'll get far less from a generic remap than the rest of the car is capable of (barring possibly the clutch, depending on the age of it).

I have had MANY different cars with remaps / chips, since my Astra GTE 16v back in 2000, through to my previous 335d. Each and every time I have mapped a turbocharged car it has been well worth it. And each time you are generally looking at around 35+ BHP (often up to 40-50), and, assuming responsible driving, a few mpg's is easily possible.

2.0 TFSI should be good for around 250 BHP, and the car should feel like it should have out of the factory. Just make sure you get it from a reputable source.

Soldato
Agree! ...no 320d is gunna make 250bhp and over 400lbft torque without some serious modifications to it.

I would recommend Simon from Emaps for remapping a BMW, nice chap who knows his stuff, .. Very highly rated on the BMW forums.

320D running close to BHP of a 330D...

If such a thing were possible, imagine the possibility of the 330D and 335D remaps with +90HP :eek:

Soldato
330d remaps to in the region of 280-300 BHP (I have a friend with a very aggressive map, with everything turned up to 11, running 305 BHP on his 330d).

My 335d rolling roaded at 340 BHP post map, but the RR guy (Ecotune in Glasgow) suggested it was a weak map, and showed me one of his 535d's with 365 BHP on it (so 82 BHP increase). The 35d engine does map exceptionally well. Indeed, the Alpina D5 sits at 350 BHP. Although it possibly has some supporting mods.

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah the x35d engines do very well from a remap, usually gaining over 60bhp. The x20d usually gain between 35 and 50bhp. My 163 320d is running at 210, makes a huge difference for just £225.

Soldato
Any modern turbo diesel is most certainly going to benefit from a proper map

Get it done properly by a company that knows what their doing

Recently had my taxi mapped and it went from 136 bhp to 195 it wasn't cheap as I had other things done at the same time dpf/egr removal but a night and day difference

you couldn't tell me how much for all that work done and whereabouts please?

Back
Top Bottom