Starting a Website

AJK

AJK

Associate
Yeah, Thanks. Good thing you and decads came in with your comments. I was just about to write all the information for teh[sic] website.

Dude, chill. If you don't like their comments, just ignore them; the attitude doesn't help.

£20K? That is silly money for such a simple system. If you have some time the best solution is to learn to code. Make something that works, and if it appears successful, then spend your money on it!

£20k is not "silly money" for a completely managed design, build and deployment of a completely custom web application as described in the OP. To be honest it could be a great deal more; bespoke software development done properly is expensive.

That's not to say there are no cheaper options available. The simplest would be to buy an off-the-shelf package and customise that. (A quick search turned this up, for example.) You'd still need to pay for web hosting of some kind, but assuming you set up something scalable (eg. cloud-based), you can start small and expand as needed, minimising early costs.

Last edited:
Associate
£20k isn't silly money. Far from it. If you're building a complex site from the ground up then it's going to cost. I've worked on sites of this ilk that are much more expensive than that. To build this kind of system you need experienced, skilled developers. You might be able to `learn to code` but there are a myriad of pitfalls building and managing a large system. As someone who's been working as a developer for over 14 years it really grinds my gears seeing hard-working, extremely talented developers being tarred with an "it's easy, just learn to code" comment. **** that. I'm not having it...and I'm not speaking about myself necessarily sitting in those labels - I'm defending the profession!

Like I said Spursingham, start small if you're entering unknown territory. I can't stress this enough. You can build your system over time if things pan out the way you want them. You need to have a dev team you can work closely with and build a long term relationship with. Long distance probably isn't going to be the answer here.

Like I say, feel free to email (see in trust).

Last edited:
Soldato
As a developer as well I think 20K is a better estimate than 3K...

Christ, off the shelf from a company that specifically develop that kind of website then maybe 3K but to be created to specific requirements and supported long term than it could easily hit 20K and over.

Associate
Exactly. Where I used to work we specifically did that kind of site and could bang out a site of that ilk for a few thousand. If spec got complicated the price could fluctuate a lot.

Back
Top Bottom