Spec Me... (£10-13K)

Associate
Bit of an odd thread this, so be warned.

Recent car history...

• 2005 Civic Type-r
  • 2006 Golf R32
  • 2005 Impreza STI
  • 2008 Astra VXR Nurburgring
  • 2006 Impreza STI

As I verge on the ripe (and smelly) old age of 33, I'm starting to lose my penchant for performance cars, or should I say, cars that portray performance as well as have the performance.

I'm now looking out for something that somehow ticks these boxes...

• Subtle, yet still considered of a performance pedigree
  • Performance (200BHP or more)
  • 3 door
  • Leather Seats
  • SatNav
  • iPod/MP3 Audio with a reasonable sound from stock
  • Good build quality
  • Budget £10-£13K

A 2007/2008 Audi S3 appears to tick my boxes, subtle, well respected, performance AND comfort, well quipped. I'm just trying to consider other options. Staying German, VW is the next likely contender but cannot stomach another MK5, whether its an R32 or GTI or GTI Edition 30. However my budget won't get me a MK6 GTI. No mans land.

I did consider a nice 2009 A3 2.0 TDI Black Edition - but diesel - not sure if I could stomach such a change and may regret it after always owning performance petrols. I do drive various work lease cars such as Insignias, Zafiras, Mondeos etc. Although they are torquey low down, both the lack of puff in higher rev range and the tractor image puts me off.

Any other suggestions? Feels like I've considered A through Z but just cannot think of anything else. What we got in terms of 3 door BMW? Hate 1 series. What we got on a 3 series that has performance and class?

Last edited:
Soldato
You lost interest in the STI that quickly??

33 is no age mate. I'm 37 and the day I am no longer rinsed by my daughters creche I'll be straight in with something inappropriate.

Permabanned
S3. Buy one for £11k then spend the £2k left over on mods, should see you knocking on 400hp door.

OR

E46 M3.

Associate
OP
You lost interest in the STI that quickly??

33 is no age mate. I'm 37 and the day I am no longer rinsed by my daughters creche I'll be straight in with something inappropriate.

Loved the STI mate, that was the pinnacle of performance, sound and thrills for me. Sadly something has just clicked in me this year where I want to tone it down a bit in exchange for some comfort as well as performance.

Don't get me wrong, at 65 I'll still be having a hoon and I think for most of us Motors regulars it's in the blood and something we all share. I just need to find a motor that lets me have a hoon one moment but slip back in to the shadows the next.

The STI was a race magnet, I had Audi's, BMWs, Corsas, Minis - you name it, all wanting to hear/see it go. It was fun for a week but soon gets old :D

Associate
OP
Thanks for suggestions so far;

Mazda - a wise choice but I'm a brand snob :(
BMW E46 M3 - Love the look, love the sound and almost bought one a few years back. Starting to age a little now though?

To get a 50K-70K milage S3 I'd be looking at £12K-£13K, feels like I'm scraping the runts of the litter as it is :(

Associate
OP
You were looking for that STI for months! and that is after you made the mistake of selling the STI before that? 2 months down the line you want rid? :D
How about a 335I or Z4M?

I know, wait until Gurdas sees what I've done :D In fairness I was also cautious of that 2.5 going pop running 370BHP, the thought of spending £1500 to swap pistons was becoming less attractive in real life. However Im dreading another several month long car hunting mission. These S3s disappear as quick as the widetrack STI!

Good shout on the 335i, will have a proper look as pretty clueless on BMW outside of the M3s.

Permabanned
Ah I know nowt about cheap cars :p my cheapest car cost 6 figures. I just chanced upon the thread and saw an upgraded a3 being mentioned for 11k and cried a little.

Permabanned
Jesus, heres me stressing over spending £13K and your cheapest motor is six figures? :D

What do you drive?

Sorry. That was a bit obnoxious of me.

I'll avoid listing what I have as it'll only get flung in my face. I have a few super cars, a few hyper cars and an m5 as a daily beater.

Associate
OP
Sorry. That was a bit obnoxious of me.

I'll avoid listing what I have as it'll only get flung in my face. I have a few super cars, a few hyper cars and an m5 as a daily beater.

Kudos, I'm sure you have worked hard to get where you are :)

I'll enjoy my 7 year old, used, mass production shed :D

Associate
OP
Im derailing my own thread but often wonder what it would be like owning multiple super/hyper cars, serious question, just how do you decide which to take out for a drive? I suppose each have some very definable characteristics. I hope theres an Aventador amongst them - the Astra VXR of the rich and famous :D

Back
Top Bottom