Display driver stopped working?

Associate
As the title states I've been getting this error every now and then and there's no warning before hand, it just happens. Anything I have open closes/crashes.

The computer is brand new and I literally turned it on 10 minutes ago before it decided to stop working.

I'm not entirely sure what to do. I have updated my drivers(they were the latest version) but it's not fixed it.

Anyone able to shed some light?

i5 @3.4
8gb ram
250g SSD
GTX 760 4gb

Associate
It is most likely unstable clocks on the card.
I've been having problems with my Inno3d 780 DHS. The factory overclocks are no longer stable with my card. The drivers crash constantly. Turning the core and memory clocks down have stopped the amount of crashes. Drivers are not to blame for my crashes either. Tried drivers that were released from when I received the card and the latest.

EDIT: I'd like to add, I have an RMA that has been approved for me, so you should be able to get one.

Last edited:
Associate
this is exactly the same message i was getting when i pushed my gpu overclock too far.

display driver stopped working but has recovered.

something like that. i backed the oc off and it didnt do it again.

Associate
Had this with a Gigabyte radeon 280x which is factory OC'd.

Droped the clock on it 50 and never had the issue again. If you can, drop the clock and tell us the exact make, model and specs of the GFX card. Chances are someone has had to do this already.

If it is as you say brand new you can RMA the card.

Soldato
I had this with an MSI 670 OC. It would crash when the card was pushed on to it's max performance state. Taking about 100mhz off it usually stopped it from happening.

After that I got a 780 (none OC) and it's been 100% stable. I don't think I'll bother paying the extra for factory OCed cards again :)

Associate
OP
The card I have is http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-212-MS&groupid=701&catid=1914&subcat=1830

Last night I removed the drivers and reinstalled them. I'll see how it goes over the course of the next week or so.

I also have the Afterburner program, which I'm assuming I could use to tweak the settings?

I'm not entirely sure it's down to the card being pushed hard as I've been playing Battlefield 3 on max bar AA and it's been fine (the fan does speed up)

Thanks for the replies.

Associate
My card crashed on its factory overclocks even when idle. It just wasnt stable. Sometimes i'd be able to play for hours, then it got worse and worse.
Used Afterburner to turn the clocks down and it's bearable right now.

Associate
My card crashed on its factory overclocks even when idle. It just wasnt stable. Sometimes i'd be able to play for hours, then it got worse and worse.
Used Afterburner to turn the clocks down and it's bearable right now.

Would you not RMA it? Especially if it's factory OC'd, you should be guaranteed a stable card if that's what you're paying for.

Associate
OP
It's still doing it even after the driver install. Also, I forgot to mention that when I alt tab I sometimes get the message to turn aero off to increase performance.

The system is one of overclockers pre built gaming systems so I'll give them a call tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom