Leaning a new language - best way?

Soldato
Hey,

So yes, I know the best way is to going visit/ live in the country but that's not an option for me. I want to learn with software.

GERMAN is the language of choice - I already speak it to a decent level but want to improve - is Rosetta Stone still the best choice?

Thanks,

Gustov

Associate
I know you've said you want to use software but have you considered evening classes? Being able to interact with others will be much more useful if you can afford the time/money.

Soldato
I know you've said you want to use software but have you considered evening classes? Being able to interact with others will be much more useful if you can afford the time/money.

This. Most universities that offer language degrees will run evening classes open to the public. It's more expensive obviously, but there really is no substitute for proper tuition from a native/bilingual speaker.

Associate
I'd recommend evening classes or a tutor.

Some people recommend Rosetta Stone, although the way you learn using it is not to my liking.

I found Duolingo good for picking up the basics. Give that a go, and if you still want to learn German, it'll act as a good foundation to more intermediate methods.

Soldato
OP
Wow! Duolingo is fantastic. Thank you ever so much - I think I'll complete this and then purchase RS.

Sorry guys, the classes thing just isn't an option for me at the mo - appreciate it's the best option.

Associate
Wow! Duolingo is fantastic. Thank you ever so much - I think I'll complete this and then purchase RS.

Sorry guys, the classes thing just isn't an option for me at the mo - appreciate it's the best option.

No worries. It's probably the best language learning website/app I've used, especially considering it's free.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Get some lessons. Evening lessons, for example.
Learning from zero is better in a class than 1 on 1 with a tutor.

FWIW, I'm a language teacher.

Soldato
OP
Get some lessons. Evening lessons, for example.
Learning from zero is better in a class than 1 on 1 with a tutor.

FWIW, I'm a language teacher.

Thanks buddy but I'm not learning from zero. Meine Deutch ist nicht sehr gut aber ich spreche ein bisschen. Ich mochte mehr sprechen (hence the thread)

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Thanks buddy but I'm not learning from zero. Meine Deutch ist nicht sehr gut aber ich spreche ein bisschen. Ich mochte mehr sprechen (hence the thread)
Ach No swearing, even in a different language., ich muss der OP besser lesen nächstes mal!

In that case, private lessons are a good bet, but they're not cheap. When I taught adults, 90% of private lessons were business. Evening lessons are more popular with non-business people as they're cheaper.

Although you get a less oral time (unless you're one of those people who babble on for ages and interrupt everyone), you meet new people and you can have a conversation someone other than your teacher.

Investigate :)
Either way, lessons are the way to go over self study.

Caporegime
Pimsleur is decent too but you really need to combine it with understanding the grammar and practice with native speakers

Associate
A great website/app is called Memrise it uses a series of different ways to learn and is fantastic I couldn't believe how much easier it was to pick up certain essential words and for those words which really just don't register it just keeps revisiting them until you do. Highly recommended and free at the beginning, definitely worth checking it out for 10 minutes to see if it's up your alley of learning.

Back
Top Bottom