**2014/15 Predictions thread**

Associate
If they couldn't manage with Suarez and without European football fixtures then they're certainly not going to manage it the other way around.

The squad has been strengthened for this coming season.

We lost out last season due to poor defending. The defence will be solid you watch.

As for Suarez....He will rue the day he left Liverpool. Mark my words.

Soldato
The squad has been strengthened for this coming season.

We lost out last season due to poor defending. The defence will be solid you watch.

As for Suarez....He will rue the day he left Liverpool. Mark my words.

Liverpool have mainly added depth, rather than world-class quality (so far, at least).

I think this is the sensible thing for Rodgers to do - last season the depth was not really there, and a couple more injuries or suspensions would have left glaring holes in quality on the pitch. With European football and deeper runs into the domestic cups, this would have been a big problem.

I think Liverpool are building a squad to compete on all fronts now - which will help them in the long run. I just don't see them being able to compete with Chelsea, City or Arsenal this season.

Still a work in progress IMO. Some good buys this season, and a good foundation for the future, but they'll need to add world-class quality to compete with the top teams in future seasons. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Associate
Liverpool have mainly added depth, rather than world-class quality (so far, at least).

I think this is the sensible thing for Rodgers to do - last season the depth was not really there, and a couple more injuries or suspensions would have left glaring holes in quality on the pitch. With European football and deeper runs into the domestic cups, this would have been a big problem.

I think Liverpool are building a squad to compete on all fronts now - which will help them in the long run. I just don't see them being able to compete with Chelsea, City or Arsenal this season.

Still a work in progress IMO. Some good buys this season, and a good foundation for the future, but they'll need to add world-class quality to compete with the top teams in future seasons. Rome wasn't built in a day.

We all have our point of view and I respect yours.

Soldato
We all have our point of view and I respect yours.

Likewise... I certainly enjoyed watching Liverpool last year (the games I saw anyway), and I'd be quite happy to see them over-perform once again. I don't think it will happen again this season though.

To help us compare the squads like-for-like, why don't we write down what we think will be the starting 11 of the team we support - along with key depth players? I'll start the ball rolling:

Team: Chelsea
Formation: 4-2-3-1

Code:
            Courtois
Azpilicueta - Cahill - Terry - Luis
          Matic - Fabregas
    Willian - Oscar - Hazard
              Costa

Main cover/rotation players:

- Ivanovic [CB and RB]
- Zouma [CB]
- Mikel [DM]
- Van Ginkel [CM]
- Ramires [CM / ACM]
- Schurrle [RAM]
- Salah [LAM]
- Drogba [CF]
- Torres [CF] :(

The above could also work well for a 4-3-3, with Fabregas having a little more freedom, and perhaps Schurrle taking the place of Willian.

Soldato
Why do people always say Liverpool are "over performing" or similar. We have one of the best squads in the league, those writing us off already should take a look at our starting 11 and rethink...

Mignolet

Manqillo. Skrtel. Lovren. Moreno (likely)

Gerrard

Hendo. Can

Coutinho. Sterling

Sturridge

That's up there with the best in the league. Yes we've lost Suarez but improved everywhere else especially at the back. Sturridge is the best striker in the league and Coutinho and Sterling are two of the best youngsters in the world.

1 man city
2 Chelsea
3 Liverpool
4 Arsenal

Soldato
Coutinho / Sterling / Sturridge is a great front three - up there with the best of the league (arguably).

Gerrard / Henderson / Can isn't really comparable to the midfield of Chelsea, City or Arsenal (or Man U if they sign Vidal) IMO.

Likewise, the defence doesn't compare to that of Chelsea or City. Or Arsenal for that matter... For now it's probably an improvement on United's back line, but I expect they will be buying a couple of world-class defenders before the window closes.

... I don't think anyone's "writing you off" exactly - it's just that a rational look at the squads suggests a lack of quality when compared to Chelsea, City and Arsenal. Depending on what Man United can bring in before the windows closes, that list could include them as well. Finishing 4th and getting to the CL knockout stages would surely be a successful season for you guys?

Also - where are you expecting to play Lallana? Don't you think he'll make the starting 11?

Soldato
Based on current signings, I think Chelsea have addressed in areas where they need to. Albeit I think they will be pretty one dimensional. They have added players into the squad to play pretty much the same formation, swap players out and have a strong XI at any time. Chelsea and City set to grind it out.

1st Chelsea
2nd Man City
3rd Utd
4th Arsenal

2nd - City. Like Chelsea will grind it out this year

3rd place I am going for my team Utd. Pre season means nothing other than getting prepared for the new season. If David Moyes can take the Champions from 1st to 7th then I am confident LvG can take some of the players who know how to win the league back into the top 4.

4th Arsenal - Good Start to the season but will fizzle out. Their success will be down to keeping Ramsey and Sanchez fit. If they sign a strong central midfielder to play the defensive midfielder role then potential for 3rd. Not convinced by their defensive qualities just yet

5th - Liverpool. Last seasons Champions (in April), well they go again. Added depth to the squad but Suarez be a massive loss. Not only for his goals, players like that bring a lot more out of other players. Balancing European Football with trying to maintain a top 4 spot will be a tough ask for Brendon Rodgers

FA Cup - Utd
League Cup - Spurs

Drop
Southampton
Leicester
QPR

Back
Top Bottom