Installed Win 8.1 on new SSD, now 'boots' from old SSD

Soldato
Hi all

Basically I installed Windows 8.1 on a fresh SSD, and left my old Win 7 on another SSD.

Now, when I try to boot solo off of the 8.1 SSD, it won't boot - i'm assuming the 'boot' section is still on the old hard drive.

I'm not too savvy with this, but was wondering if there is an easy way to transfer it over to the new hard drive so I can format the other SSD and use it for my Game installs etc.

Thanks

Soldato
OP
Just disconnect the old one first.
If it works its most likely just the hdd boot order in bios.

You can change the order of your drives in the BIOS, make sure the one with Win 8.1 is first in the load order.

I already have taken the old one off, and of course my 8.1 is my first boot drive.

The boot sector I believe is on my 'old' SSD. I need to move it over, running the 8.1 SSD by itself does not launch the OS...

Don
It's always best to install Windows with only one drive connected. And have that
drive connected to the SATA0 port. (the first one)

To overcome this problem, a quick way to do it is..

Install macrium reflect free
Create a boot CD with it.

Turn off pc.
Disconnect other drives.

Boot from that CD
When you're in that boot CD, use the other tools and 'fix boot problems'

This should create the files you need on the SSD.

--

The Windows disc may well be able to perform this task too, it's been a while since I've messed around with this type of issue.

Or, just format and start again with only the one drive connected.

Soldato
Since you left the old Win 7 install in, the Win 8.1 install just added into to the boot partition already present on the SSD with Win 7.

I would suggest doing a clean install with only one drive plugged in, that way a new boot partition will be created for Win 8.1.

Soldato
OP
It's always best to install Windows with only one drive connected. And have that
drive connected to the SATA0 port. (the first one)

To overcome this problem, a quick way to do it is..

Install macrium reflect free
Create a boot CD with it.

Turn off pc.
Disconnect other drives.

Boot from that CD
When you're in that boot CD, use the other tools and 'fix boot problems'

This should create the files you need on the SSD.

--

The Windows disc may well be able to perform this task too, it's been a while since I've messed around with this type of issue.

Or, just format and start again with only the one drive connected.

Thanks for that, will look into it.

Since you left the old Win 7 install in, the Win 8.1 install just added into to the boot partition already present on the SSD with Win 7.

I would suggest doing a clean install with only one drive plugged in, that way a new boot partition will be created for Win 8.1.

Yup, i'm fully using 8.1 and don't want to clean install too much hassle hence wanted a hassle free way of transferring the boot partition over.

Any other suggestions, please do post.

Associate
Maybe I should have read what you wanted first. That just fixes your setup so you have dual-boot.

You can use bcdedit to make a copy of your boot partition, then apply that to your new disk and that may work.

Back
Top Bottom