** RJKONEILL'S NVIDIA SHIELD TABLET REVIEW **

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
OP
ah yeah limelight. I thought you were talking about an actual gamestream app from nvidia.

LL is essentially no better than the other 3rd party apps i already mentioned. I haven't used it as much as splashtop but again, it requires setting up.

it isnt a power on and play solution still.

Soldato
I had my reservations about it after how badly received the original Shield handheld was in the market but it looks like Nvidia has done a cracking job on making this a VERY feasible product.

If I didn't have an AMD GPU I would be sorely tempted

Great little review :)

Soldato
This is what I find most odd about Pottsey's arguments against this tablet. Even without any of the game streaming features, it's still one of, if not the best android tablet in this size currently available. Coupled with the low price, it's fantastic!

It's not perfect, but I can't think of anything I'd rather get if I was in the market for a tablet of this size. So the extra features are a bonus, on what is already potentially the best tablet around.
Depends what you are looking for. Reading the reviews it got a poor screen that’s bad outdoors and has poor colours not my words but from other reviews. At 390g (0.86lb), it's heavier than all of its competitors by a good margin so hard to hold for extended amounts of time for some people. At at odd a 16:10 aspect ratio it’s bad for films most of which are 16:9. Terrible local gaming battery life last in all the charts, little developer support due to being the chip with the smallest market share.

It’s a gaming tablet that’s too heavy for extended amounts of gaming, has a terrible local gaming battery life worse than the other tablets by a large margin. Some reviews even say it has a poor screen and buttons for gaming.
To quote from another review ““The tablet's buttons are also problematic. While every device has its own feel, and pressure level necessary to depress the hardware power and volume keys, the Shield Tablet's seem exceptionally mushy.”

It’s a long way from the best of Android tablets. It does have a few plus points but I don’t see why so many people are praising NVidia for what is essentially nothing special.

ah yeah limelight. I thought you were talking about an actual gamestream app from nvidia.

LL is essentially no better than the other 3rd party apps i already mentioned. I haven't used it as much as splashtop but again, it requires setting up.

it isnt a power on and play solution still.

Its about 3 clicks from being the same power on and play solution. Yes it requires setting up but in same way as Shield as it’s the same software. You have to install the same software onto the PC, search for the PC with the same software. The only extra step is browse the app store and click install, which download and installs. Limelight is the same gamestream app from NVidia. its the same software, interface and protocols. Shield requires setting up as well the steps are almost identical.

Associate
Rjk, quick question there was mention of a sd/micro sd cardslot on the tab or controller? if it is on the controller can you access this memory to play games/videos/music off it?

Gotta say this is making me want to get it over my Nexus 7 (2014) so i can watch movies on my tv with my friends and family. Also thanks for the great review.

cannot wait to hold one of these in my hand :D

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
OP
Depends what you are looking for. Reading the reviews it got a poor screen that’s bad outdoors and has poor colours not my words but from other reviews. At 390g (0.86lb), it's heavier than all of its competitors by a good margin so hard to hold for extended amounts of time for some people. At at odd a 16:10 aspect ratio it’s bad for films most of which are 16:9. Terrible local gaming battery life last in all the charts, little developer support due to being the chip with the smallest market share.

It’s a gaming tablet that’s too heavy for extended amounts of gaming, has a terrible local gaming battery life worse than the other tablets by a large margin. Some reviews even say it has a poor screen and buttons for gaming.
To quote from another review ““The tablet's buttons are also problematic. While every device has its own feel, and pressure level necessary to depress the hardware power and volume keys, the Shield Tablet's seem exceptionally mushy.”

It’s a long way from the best of Android tablets. It does have a few plus points but I don’t see why so many people are praising NVidia for what is essentially nothing special.

have you used one? my guess is 'probably not'

Screen certainly not poor, I actually commented on how nice it looked and whilst a far cry from the iPad air, it is certainly competitive with other devices in this price range.

Weight is largely irrelevant as it is designed to be used on a stand with the controller. I compared it to my Nexus 7 which feels around the same weight so I don't see the problem.

Aspect ratio is scalable and fits well not only with gaming but all media I have used on it has played well with pretty much zero issue and no noticeable black bar problems.

Battery Life was mentioned in my review and the quoted 10 hours is not far off the mark. More recent usage cycles I have been using Android games and cant say that I have experienced 'Terrible local gaming battery'. I would hazard the extra power consumption is coming from the improved performance over other solutions, but that is like complaining when PC running a TitanZ has high power consumption.

Buttons buttons feel little different from many other Android tablets I have used. obviously your quote and my opinion are just user opinions, but something you will press maybe once per usage session being functional is all that is really required.

Its about 3 clicks from being the same power on and play solution. Yes it requires setting up but in same way as Shield as it’s the same software. You have to install the same software onto the PC, search for the PC with the same software. The only extra step is browse the app store and click install, which download and installs. Limelight is the same gamestream app from NVidia. its the same software, interface and protocols. Shield requires setting up as well the steps are almost identical.

The point is that it isn't power on and play though. Its all there, all set up. Takes two minutes and recognises everything as soon as its paired and has native controller support if required.

It seems like your only gripes with the product are based on opinions of other reviewers. Claims that without personal hands on experience, hold no real value. Either that or you just don't like Nvidia.

Rjk, quick question there was mention of a sd/micro sd cardslot on the tab or controller?

The expansion slot is on the side of the tablet itself.

Soldato
“Screen certainly not poor, I actually commented on how nice it looked and whilst a far cry from the iPad air, it is certainly competitive with other devices in this price range.”
It is very clearly below average. Perhaps you only did limited testing? Did you try it outside in the sun; did you look at the how accurate or not the colour reputation is. It’s not that bright plenty for indoor use but outdoor won’t be easy to read. Colour saturation falls apart as well.

It’s not just me but lots of reviews say the same. To quote one “As expected, the ColorChecker shows the results of the poor gamut and some issues present in the grayscale. Error ends up relatively high. The display is still decent, but relative to the competition it doesn’t stack up very well. “

“Weight is largely irrelevant as it is designed to be used on a stand with the controller. I compared it to my Nexus 7 which feels around the same weight so I don't see the problem.”
It’s pretty much the heaviest tablet on the market out of the main tablets by a long shot. It’s not a problem for everyone but weight is a big factor in tablet buying. For me it’s too heavy to hold and use as a tablet. I struggle enough with 345g for extended amounts of time so 390g is well out of use. 50g heaver then a Nexus 7 is too much for me any many other people. Close to 400g is not what I would call a nice mobile device.

“Battery Life was mentioned in my review and the quoted 10 hours is not far off the mark.”
Most of the other reviewers are barley getting 2 hour gaming out of it. Movie and web browsing life is good at 10hours. But the gaming life has it bottom of the pack and its meant to be a gaming tablet. Gaming tablets are not meant to be heavy or have poor gaming battery life.

Buttons I sort of agree on as its meant to be used with a controller.

“The point is that it isn't power on and play though. Its all there, all set up. Takes two minutes and recognises everything as soon as its paired and has native controller support if required. “
The native controller support is built into android. It’s not really hard to plug in an Xbox, shield or other controller to an Android tablet. Shield isn’t power on and play either you have to do all the setting up and pairing. My point is Shield is practically identical to the none shield tablets. Bar about 3 extra clicks and a few seconds to download the app it’s the same software, same install steps, same protocols, same interface, same install and setup time. So it’s not fair to call Shield unique, unrivalled and so on.

If you timed a shield and none shield setup there would be no noticeable difference. Once the app is installed its 100% the same. Installing the app takes all of 10seconds. (EDIT: You have a Nexus 7, once the app is installed how hard was it to pair up to the PC? It should be 100% the same as shield.)

Let me put it this way. What can shield do that other decent Android tablets cannot do? What advantage does Shield have over other decent Android tablets? I hardly call a preloaded free app that takes 10 seconds to install unique and unrivalled. The performance is a complete waste as there are zero apps to make use of that performances that I know off. I see very little reason to upgrade to a shield over current tablets or even get one over other tablets.

Last edited:

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
OP
“Screen certainly not poor, I actually commented on how nice it looked and whilst a far cry from the iPad air, it is certainly competitive with other devices in this price range.”
It is very clearly below average. Perhaps you only did limited testing? Did you try it outside in the sun; did you look at the how accurate or not the colour reputation is. It’s not that bright plenty for indoor use but outdoor won’t be easy to read. Colour saturation falls apart as well.

It’s not just me but lots of reviews say the same. To quote one “As expected, the ColorChecker shows the results of the poor gamut and some issues present in the grayscale. Error ends up relatively high. The display is still decent, but relative to the competition it doesn’t stack up very well. “

I would hardly classify 10 days of pretty much constant 'spare time' use as limited testing. I had it out in the garden with me this weekend and had zero issues. If I did, I would have included it in my review. The colours are fairly vivid and the IPS panel does an adequate job at colour reproduction when compared to things like... my colour calibrated IPS computer monitors. Its a budget orientated tablet so I marked it accordingly. I wasn't expecting it to be fantastic and I stand by my opinion that it is on par with other devices in this price range.

“Weight is largely irrelevant as it is designed to be used on a stand with the controller. I compared it to my Nexus 7 which feels around the same weight so I don't see the problem.”
It’s pretty much the heaviest tablet on the market out of the main tablets by a long shot. It’s not a problem for everyone but weight is a big factor in tablet buying. For me it’s too heavy to hold and use as a tablet. I struggle enough with 345g for extended amounts of time so 390g is well out of use. 50g heaver then a Nexus 7 is too much for me any many other people. Close to 400g is not what I would call a nice mobile device.

Come off it, the difference is hardly noticable. 50g is the actuation force of a blue cherrymx switch but you're making out like its a huge extra burden.
I feel you're being a tad over-dramatic. I'm hardly the strongest person in the world but at no point did I sit there thinking, "bloody hell, this 390g tablet is ruining my arms"

“Battery Life was mentioned in my review and the quoted 10 hours is not far off the mark.”
Most of the other reviewers are barley getting 2 hour gaming out of it. Movie and web browsing life is good at 10hours. But the gaming life has it bottom of the pack and its meant to be a gaming tablet. Gaming tablets are not meant to be heavy or have poor gaming battery life.

Buttons I sort of agree on as its meant to be used with a controller.

performance is high and whilst not taken advantage of yet, there is scope to develop for it. As I mentioned, I have played enough on it to use it for over 2 hours and have plenty of battery left. Perhaps the reviewers were using the more taxing Tegra optimised titles or something, I couldn't comment as I have avoided reading other reviews to avoid influence on my own.

The device isn't even commercially available yet, and is very early in its life. I would imagine that a few optimisation updates would improve this.

“The point is that it isn't power on and play though. Its all there, all set up. Takes two minutes and recognises everything as soon as its paired and has native controller support if required. “
The native controller support is built into android. It’s not really hard to plug in an Xbox, shield or other controller to an Android tablet. Shield isn’t power on and play either you have to do all the setting up and pairing. My point is Shield is practically identical to the none shield tablets. Bar about 3 extra clicks and a few seconds to download the app it’s the same software, same install steps, same protocols, same interface, same install and setup time. So it’s not fair to call Shield unique, unrivalled and so on.

If you timed a shield and none shield setup there would be no noticeable difference. Once the app is installed its 100% the same. Installing the app takes all of 10seconds. (EDIT: You have a Nexus 7, once the app is installed how hard was it to pair up to the PC? It should be 100% the same as shield.)

Perhaps being an early adopter of splashtop and dealing with the low resolutions and stuttery game play, perhaps my experience is flawed. As mentioned in the review, I had to buy a Keplar GPU to use Shield anyway so that would probably boost an experience with a third party app also.

Ok, so let me refine my point. Until now, nobody has tried streamlining this and using it as a key element to drive sales and also advance android tablets as a PC gaming peripheral rather than being a standalone device. As a platform to develop on, Nvidia has focussed on unifying this whole thing. I would love to see the official gamehub app readily available on play store for all android users but in the same vein as console development timeline, Nvidia have to realistically get it right on a predefined hardware set.

Let me put it this way. What can shield do that other decent Android tablets cannot do? What advantage does Shield have over other decent Android tablets? I hardly call a preloaded free app that takes 10 seconds to install unique and unrivalled. The performance is a complete waste as there are zero apps to make use of that performances that I know off. I see very little reason to upgrade to a shield over current tablets or even get one over other tablets.

The review never once mentions that it is the BEST android tablet. It merely points out that for the price, it is good value.

Whilst the performance may not be made use of now, what about the future? I'm sure that if a Graphics card came out that performed remarkably better than anything but no current software could take advantage of it, then people would jump on it. why is the same principle not true for other hardware?

I would personally change to a shield over my current Nexus and would certainly consider one if I was looking to buy a tablet in the £200-£300 price point.

Caporegime
Splashtop is still sub par (And I tried VERY recently). It's more of a gimmick than anything attempting gaming with my stuff.

I'm on a 4770K/R9 290 set up and my phone's an Xperia Z1, I have one of those Asus 100 pound router jobbies and I can get my full 152Mb/s over Wifi.

Whereas Steam Streaming? Perfection. And Shield to an extent is closer to Steam Streaming (Although, they lose major points for no AMD GPU compatibility and a lack of 1080p Streaming is almost unforgivable). Although I expect those limitations are to ensure best possible performance.

Associate
Just going to jam my nose in again.

Pottsey have you personally used this device or are you just quoting other reviews? if you are using other reviews as a basis of your argument; then what grounds do you have to say that Rjkoneill's review is spouting properganda (this is what i feel your argument aligns to).

The reviews i have read (be it only 6 including this one) still paint a positive light of this tablet with the main negativity being towards the bulkyness of the controller and it not being as portable as the old one. Some metion the 'low res' and poor outdoor visibility; but from my perspective its not a massive factor.

to put the rough weight of the tablet in to perspective, it weighs less than a 500ml bottle of drink; hardly straining. My Nexus 7 2014 weighs 300g's but a 400g tablet won't make any difference at all.

If you think its a bad tablet then fine, but until you personally use this device in person for a period of longer than 2 days; i say its wrong to quote other reviews, as people all have different points of view when it comes to anything in life.

Does anyone reckon getting the 32gb will be worth while as i assume the 16gb version also have the expandable hhd.

Last edited:
Soldato
Come off it, the difference is hardly noticable. 50g is the actuation force of a blue cherrymx switch but you're making out like its a huge extra burden.
I feel you're being a tad over-dramatic. I'm hardly the strongest person in the world but at no point did I sit there thinking, "bloody hell, this 390g tablet is ruining my arms"

For ref a £2 coin is 12g, so he's basically moaning about the immense weight of four £2 coins :p

The reviews i have read (be it only 6 including this one) still paint a positive light of this tablet with the main negativity being towards the bulkyness of the controller and it not being as portable as the old one.

I don't understand the complaint and I'm sure Nvidia don't either, it's about the same size (and design oddly) as the original Xbox pad, and that was slated horribly for being bulky to the point where they replaced it and made the smaller Japanese model standard. But that was in 2001 so bulky and cumbersome should be more fashionable now right? :confused:

It makes no sense, Nvidia made the exact same mistake Microsoft did 13 years ago, and people reacted the same, it defies logic! :p

Last edited:
Associate
I don't understand the complaint and I'm sure Nvidia don't either, it's about the same size (and design oddly) as the original Xbox pad, and that was slated horribly for being bulky to the point where they replaced it and made the smaller Japanese model standard. But that was in 2001 so bulky and cumbersome should be more fashionable now right? :confused:

Tbh the controller looks good (having hooked my N64 back up recently). just gotta decide, 16gb or 32gb ver or AOC 24 inch G-syn monitor...:(

Back
Top Bottom