Robin Williams found dead at home

Soldato
Taking your own life is an incredibly brave thing to do. It takes courage. I could not do it.

People just say it's selfish because they leave behind emotional turmoil for others who care about them. Way to make someone suffering from depression feel even ****ier about themselves though.

Obviously we may never know the reasons but i'd conjecture that a big part of this was him falling off the wagon. He had stayed clean for many many years after seeing what it had done to his friends, especially John Belushi. Maybe a massive sense of guilt in thinking he'd let people down :(

Nix

Nix

Soldato
So we should encourage those with depression to kill themselves? I think I have a new goal in life. The Suicide Whisperer. Perhaps turn my future life events into a film :)

No, but what makes you think suicide is at all encouraged? :confused:

All you're doing is making those who have no coping-mechanisms left, feel guilty for daring to feel the way they do which they can't help.

Soldato
I don't always like Russell Brand but I've just seen this article by him about Robin Williams on the Guardian and I think it's brilliant:

http://www.theguardian.com/commenti...nd-robin-williams-divine-madness-broken-world

"We sort of accept that the price for that free-flowing, fast-paced, inexplicable comic genius is a counterweight of solitary misery. That there is an invisible inner economy that demands a high price for breathtaking talent."

Permabanned
I'm diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder bi polar type. So I know to some degree where Williams was in his head. I've been heavily medicated for years for my own condition though. It doesn't get easier and life certainly doesn't get better. You're just medicated to a point where you don't care. You don't care that tomorrow comes and you don't care enough to kill yourself. But the dose I'm on would knock out a rhino. If Williams was on the dose I am, I doubt he would have had the energy to perform at the level that he did. The somnolence side effects of the drugs I'm on are crazy.

But unmedicated... I drank myself into darkness. I used every illegal (and legal) narcotic I could get my hands on just to numb my being for long enough that I wouldn't walk down to the overpass and roll myself over the railings and under the wheels of a truck. Bi polar disorder is evil. There's a huge price to pay for all those manic highs that give people like Williams their brilliance and that is the crushing lows. And only the ignorant, who have never experienced those types of lows, would call suicide selfish simply because they cannot fathom how it's infinitely more preferrable to swing from the rafters than to continue to be. At times my head would feel like it was fit to burst, not from anything physical, just mental. At times you want to scream but you know that if you start screaming you won't stop until your throat starts to bleed, you tear your vocal chords and they cart you off to hospital. You want to take your fingers and run them down your face and hope that the mask you've placed there to hide your true feelings sloughs off so that all is left is your muscle, tendons and bone, so people can really see the agony you're in. Because if it's something physical people can see, they can grasp it and understand where the pain and agony comes from.

"Oh, that bone is sticking through your skin, I can see how that would be a problem for you" compared to "what do you mean your head feels like it's going to explode, it looks fine to me". So when people ask "how are you" you reply "I'm fine" because you couldn't be ****ing bothered trying to explain depression to them again because they simply won't get it.

Soldato
Saying suicide is selfish to be honest is incredibly narrow minded and a very one sided view.

DO people think it's selfish?! I've never felt that way.

Go back a few pages and you'll find people saying exactly that.

Maybe the problem is people think the word "selfish" is inherently a bad and sinful thing.

I do think killing yourself if selfish by definition, however I don't think selfishness is necessarily a bad thing.

I am of the opinion that everyone is selfish and if we weren't our species would have died out a long time ago.

Soldato
I don't always like Russell Brand but I've just seen this article by him about Robin Williams on the Guardian and I think it's brilliant:

http://www.theguardian.com/commenti...nd-robin-williams-divine-madness-broken-world

"We sort of accept that the price for that free-flowing, fast-paced, inexplicable comic genius is a counterweight of solitary misery. That there is an invisible inner economy that demands a high price for breathtaking talent."

Absolutely love russell brand.

Article just makes me love him more.

"What platitudes then can we fling along with the listless, insufficient wreaths at the stillness that was once so animated and wired, the silence where the laughter was? That fame and accolades are no defence against mental illness and addiction? That we live in a world that has become so negligent of human values that our brightest lights are extinguishing themselves?"

Soldato
I wish more people understood depression. Many of you have probably seen this.
The thing with depression is, it can be hard to control it. You might have a loving family around you, a good job and even a few quid in the bank. But it doesn't stop depression taking hold. I can appreciate why some people don't understand because it's probably hard to comprehend unless you've been through it.

Associate
RIP Robin, my favourite comedian and actor.
You will me sorely missed.
You made me cry with laughter and now I cry about the news of your death.

Last edited:
Soldato
People actually get Robin and Robbie mixed up? I thought that was a few kids mishearing but it's astonishing how actually retarded a lot of adults are.

And also, people underestimate the significance of money, especially to a mentally different person.

My family fell apart before I even hit 18. From the onset of losing my first loved one aged around 13, I conditioned my mind to find happiness in the things money can buy me. This can work wonders and keep you absolutely happy as someone who finds happiness in their children or partner. However once your mind is conditioned this way, the mental consequences of losing your money are just as dire as losing a loved one.

Last edited:
Associate
This has genuinely made me feel down, there have been very few celebrity deaths which have really made me feel like that, a comic genius that could make anybody laugh. RIP.

It's also highlighted people I need to put on ignore, I wouldn't care, they aren't even funny attempts at humour. Morons.

Soldato
Absolutely love russell brand.

Article just makes me love him more.

"What platitudes then can we fling along with the listless, insufficient wreaths at the stillness that was once so animated and wired, the silence where the laughter was? That fame and accolades are no defence against mental illness and addiction? That we live in a world that has become so negligent of human values that our brightest lights are extinguishing themselves?"

Can't take it seriously because everytime I try to read it I just imagine him pontificating wildly and playing with words like some bad Shakespearean actor on stage. Given the amount of Trews I've watched even the slightest implication that this is remotely connecting to our current socio-political landscape I also interpret as agenda.

That was the last thing I watched him in before he did the deed, sadly.

Don't know if this has been done:-

Man of Honour
Statement from his daughter Zelda:

My family has always been private about our time spent together. It was our way of keeping one thing that was ours, with a man we shared with an entire world. But now that’s gone, and I feel stripped bare. My last day with him was his birthday, and I will be forever grateful that my brothers and I got to spend that time alone with him, sharing gifts and laughter. He was always warm, even in his darkest moments. While I’ll never, ever understand how he could be loved so deeply and not find it in his heart to stay, there’s minor comfort in knowing our grief and loss, in some small way, is shared with millions. It doesn’t help the pain, but at least it’s a burden countless others now know we carry, and so many have offered to help lighten the load. Thank you for that.

To those he touched who are sending kind words, know that one of his favorite things in the world was to make you all laugh. As for those who are sending negativity, know that some small, giggling part of him is sending a flock of pigeons to your house to poop on your car. Right after you’ve had it washed. After all, he loved to laugh too.

Dad was, is and always will be one of the kindest, most generous, gentlest souls I’ve ever known, and while there are few things I know for certain right now, one of them is that not just my world, but the entire world is forever a little darker, less colorful and less full of laughter in his absence. We’ll just have to work twice as hard to fill it back up again.

Just proves that when people write upsetting things about people on the net, it does affect people - people who are going through a very difficult time in their lives.

Back
Top Bottom