Guardians of the Galaxy

Soldato
Personally, I thought:

The start was massively confusing what with all the names being dropped, planets being shown, all in a very short space of time!

Drax seemed like a complete pansy and never actually looked threatening... why is he there when Groot is seemingly more powerful and the more interesting character...

The fighting seemed quite "weak"... can't really convey why though.

Drax shooting the rocket launcher near the end just seemed TOO slapstick.

The whole "hold hands" nonsense near the end was far too cheesy.

Man of Honour
Personally, I thought:

The start was massively confusing what with all the names being dropped, planets being shown, all in a very short space of time!

Drax seemed like a complete pansy and never actually looked threatening... why is he there when Groot is seemingly more powerful and the more interesting character...

The fighting seemed quite "weak"... can't really convey why though.

Drax shooting the rocket launcher near the end just seemed TOO slapstick.

The whole "hold hands" nonsense near the end was far too cheesy.

It's almost like there was a 80's vibe to it? What a coincedence!

Soldato
I had similar thoughts about Drax 'The Destroyer' (Of what? Cake?) as well. I really enjoyed the film, but Gamora, Drax and Nebula were just... wrong from a combat standpoint. It's my only big gripe with the movie - James Gunn could do with rewatching The Avengers and taking some notes. The fight scenes in that movie do a great job of showcasing the power level of the various heroes.

I'm fine with them being de-powered slightly to make them fit into the team - having Drax (who gave Hulk a good fight) and Gamora (did the same to She-Hulk) at that power level would force using high-powered adversaries or else everything would be too easy, and I'm kind of more down with them exploring the Marvel galaxy more itself and the little things. Drax has a different origin and Gunn has confirmed Quill's dad will be different to the comics as well, so I'm not too fussed... I just wish they hadn't have referred to their reputations as being similar to the comics then presented as they were.

One thing I've realised is that we won't see any of the Shiar - despite being on of the big galactic empires - and any of the stuff the Fantastic Four deal with (like Galactus, Silver Surfer, etc) in future episodes, as Fox own all the rights to that. We've done the Kree (some Mar-Vell plz?) and the Skrulls are fair game too. We got some Celestials though, which was awesome.

Anyway, despite a relatively straightforward formula plot-wise, it had a feel-good factor and heart, which a lot of blockbusters (and most of the Marvel films) seem to miss. I thought Winter Soldier was a solidly made film for example, but I can't bring myself to care that much about Cap's character.

As for TMNT... well, everyone was panning it before it even came out, but like Bayformers - which are kind of harmless fluff which wouldn't annoy me if not for the fact there seems to be zero plot/story-telling continuity - it seems the general public are prepared to lap it up. From what I've seen it looks more like Teenage Brostep Ninja Turtles (Pizza Hut fans? U WOT M8?), but I guess that's what's down with the kids these days.

Last edited:
Associate
Me and the gf went to see this yesterday, we both loved it, by far one of the best Marvel movies they have done. Looking forward to the next one. Nice nod to the Agents of the Shield TV series with the Kree :D

Soldato
Just back from it. I thought it was good. After 9 movies the Marvel Studios formula is definitely starting to grow tiresome, but the setting, characters, and world building elements were different enough from the rest of the Marvel stuff (thus far) to make it enjoyable.

Soldato
Saw this at the IMAX 3D in Leicester Square this evening and I thought it was really good.

Easily the best 3D in a movie I have ever seen (I usually get headaches with 3D and find its use superfluous but I actually forgot I had the glasses on and enjoyed it here) and i thought the plot was lots of fun with a few good one liners thrown in.

9/10

Soldato
Thanos can't be killed. He is the avatar of Death and augmented by her. He can only perhaps be stopped. He cannot be stopped however if he gets all of the gems/stones which is presumably the point of the movies.
http://i.imgur.com/euxaG34.jpg

thanos-bitch-slap.jpg

Enjoyed it it's one of those films where you focus the action and Character interactions rather than (what I thought was a rather weak)plot... also I feel Nebula's character was just unnecessary all she was in the film to do was have a fight with Gamora. Best Character had to be Drunk Rocket!

Soldato
@ Sonambulist:

One thing I've realised is that we won't see any of the Shiar - despite being on of the big galactic empires - and any of the stuff the Fantastic Four deal with (like Galactus, Silver Surfer, etc) in future episodes, as Fox own all the rights to that.
Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch are not owned by marvell/Disney but by Fox and there has not been a barrier there. Saying that, not involving the Shiar, Galactus and the surfer would be a mistake (by Fox regarding advertising for a future film) and for everybody else regarding consistency and continuity of plot.

Edit: I only recently found out a couple of days ago, that in the Infinity Gem comic book saga, Thanos only went after the gems to right an imbalance in the Universe (and not for its destruction). I wonder how and if the forthcoming movies will differ from this? (Thanos. Infinity Revelation).

Last edited:
Soldato
I dunno, they were supposed to have the Badoon in one of the earlier ones but changed it for another race as they're also under the Fantastic Four umbrella.

Same applies to anything Negative Zone, and some other stuff (like Super Skrull, although Skrulls in general are fair game). I reckon they'll just bide their time and buy the rights back eventually.

Btw Thanos has been killed a couple of times (always comes back though!). For most of the comic runs he's in love with Death (the abstract entity representing...) and does stuff to try and win her affections, ever unsuccessful in life. I'm not sure if the MCU will go down the abstract celestial being route because if you have Death, you have Eternity, Infinity, The Living Tribunal etc, so it'll probably just be some generic god-like power trip thing.

Btw Thanos always leaves himself open to beating beaten because deep down he knows he's unworthy of ruling the universe, according to Adam Warlock anyway... and in modern times he's become something of an anti-hero and a fan-favourite, but I don't think they'll go with that either - they turned Ronan, who is something of a morally grey character who teamed up with the GotG in the comics into a jobber villain - he's just 'the big bad'.

Soldato
Btw Thanos always leaves himself open to beating beaten because deep down he knows he's unworthy of ruling the universe, according to Adam Warlock anyway... and in modern times he's become something of an anti-hero and a fan-favourite, but I don't think they'll go with that either - they turned Ronan, who is something of a morally grey character who teamed up with the GotG in the comics into a jobber villain - he's just 'the big bad'

latest story arc shows Thanos in an equal "relationship" with Death having just been made whole by a power higher than that of the ....Tribunal. It may be that he doesn't feel himself unworthy any more as a consequence. The story arc also reveals a more powerful and aggressive Adam warlock (Source: Infinity Revelation).

Soldato
latest story arc shows Thanos in an equal "relationship" with Death having just been made whole by a power higher than that of the ....Tribunal. It may be that he doesn't feel himself unworthy any more as a consequence. The story arc also reveals a more powerful and aggressive Adam warlock (Source: Infinity Revelation).

I haven't read that one yet - looks right up my alley though (big Thanos and Marvel Cosmic fan).

Associate
Went to Imax for it this afternoon. Cost me an extra 5.70 on top of my unlimited card. Fantastic sound and 3d but I was a tad sleepy and it was so dark I nodded off about 30 mins in and woke up for the last 20 mins. Gutted as I liked the bits I saw. No more tired cinema trips for me.

Back
Top Bottom