First Q6600 overclock failed could do with some guidance

Soldato
OP
I've got the upper ran,

I had them running on low but they're all on medium now as the noise comes a bit of a disturbance if on high.

I'm keeping an eye out for the middle fan brick for the antec 900 so I can push some more through and may be able to put them back to low.

Associate
Just ran Prime overnight for 16 hrs - no errors.
Loaded up and running normally averaging 49 -54C temps (averaging around 51C), with fans down to minimum. Room temp 20C.

1.2875v @ 3.45Ghz

I may tweak it higher if i have time but nice and steady as I use this PC 24/7..sometimes 5 days continuopusly running a dozen programmes across multi screen, stability and reliability is key as it takes me 15 min just to open all my programmes and set layout.

Last edited:
Soldato
Won't cause any damage but always preferable to get the lowest voltage required for the given overclock. Lower volts = lower temps in general.

So you could lower the voltage for 3ghz or increase the FSB for a faster CPU speed and keep the voltage the same.

Associate
If stable then fine, I would still suggest running all 3 prime 95, do it overnight so you dont have to wait.
Your temps will be lower than Intel Burn test.

Soldato
OP
Lowered the voltage to 1.3v last night, tempts dropped quite a bit from the last run

1.3v.PNG

Soldato
Nice drop in temps. You have certainly got the idea now. I personally advocate that an overnight run of Prime95 Custom test is good to confirm 100% stability, setting the RAM to use to max amount free rather than the default 1.6gb option. I have had many overclocks pass IBT but fail Prime but never the other way around :)

IBT is great for quick testing though.

If you are happy now you can save the overclock as a profile in bios and use this as a template to go further, could increase it up to 3.1ghz and retest at current voltage or try lowering the voltage until it fails IBT and nudge it back up one or two.

Soldato
OP
Hi All,

Very long time since I've posted in here due to RL commitments, anyway, got a chance to take a look back at this, as I dropped my clock settings to default when I started to see fluctuations. Anyway moving on this evening got a chance to take another look at it and just a bit of a side query I noticed that core 2 and 3 are at different temps to 0 and 1, could this suggest the thermal paste needs re-layering or would the 3~5 degrees difference not really be enough for concern?

Temps.PNG

Associate
There is always some difference, you can't get away from it. I've even observed that behaviour in laptops.

The reason is that the quad cores are actually two dual core dies placed under the same heatspreader, so there will be differences in contact with the heatspreader as well as leakage between the chips.

Back
Top Bottom