Ride around the world - what bike?

Soldato
OP
Yea, not going to lie, I've done copious amounts of research into this...

This little Europe trip I'm doing has rekindled my love for backpacking. So I'm thinking instead of my 12 months trip next year... Combine the 2 and do an around the world trip on a bike.

I'm still doing a lot of reading into it. Obviously I would NOT take the Multistrada (unless Ducati did some form of sponsorship), so I'd get something small, enduro focused for roads in Africa but can have road tyres slapped on to make life easier.

Soldato
I'd want a support vehicle, not just sponsorship to take a Ducati RTW ;)

It's hard to see past the XT660 Tenere to be honest. Seem to be pretty much the perfect bike for it

Soldato
OP
I'd want a support vehicle, not just sponsorship to take a Ducati RTW ;)

It's hard to see past the XT660 Tenere to be honest. Seem to be pretty much the perfect bike for it

After my gearbox eating it's self, I'm in the same mindset.

The XT660 Tenere seems like a perfect bike, but a tad expensive...

Soldato
I'll resize and post again sorry

gGeFgyw_zps79b0aa9a.jpg

57tjaHL_zps786fcd89.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
I had a test ride on a ccm r30 didn't like it tbh,far too snatchy and noisy (vibration was bad aswell,would make your wrists go pins n needles after a while)but that 450 looks nice

not sure if they still use the rotax engine or drz

had 1, the r30 is the better, the 650 lump has guts up until about 80 but being british it has all sorts of issues with the suzuki engine. but more reliable then the rotax lump but that does have more grunt.
any 1 to the question as much as i dislike them r1200 or the f800 for fuel savings

Associate
Plus the BMWs are hardly the pinnacle of reliability. Lots of owners have suffered problems with them, and the Long Way Round showed then having lots of issues, including a snapped frame at one point.
Whilst others have pointed out that may have been overloading, yer man Oisin Hughes had a fair few issues with his (if you haven't seen "Not dead yet", I recommend it) which couldn't be chalked up to that. Although that bike wasn't a shiny new promotional freebie.

Aren't the Army Harleys diesel as well? You can get them surplus from Withams but they aren't really cheap.

Soldato
Whilst others have pointed out that may have been overloading, yer man Oisin Hughes had a fair few issues with his (if you haven't seen "Not dead yet", I recommend it) which couldn't be chalked up to that. Although that bike wasn't a shiny new promotional freebie.

Aren't the Army Harleys diesel as well? You can get them surplus from Withams but they aren't really cheap.

From ADVrider site....doesn't sound like he regrets the choice of bike

Hi Vic,
So the issues I had all told
1) EWS ring - Colombia
2) Battery Fail - Also Colombia
3) Front Shock @ approx 60k
4) Rear Shock @ 55K
5) Final Drive - Leaked and had to be fixed about once every 12K... note that was doing some hard road...eg Ruta 40, Mongolia, ROB etc
6) About 30 punctures / deflations, maybe 24 of them on the front tire during this trip
7) Fuel Pump Regulator (common fail item in Europe)
8) Clutch
9) Clutch cable connectoin - due to shock hitting it
10) Modulator - Blown when it was jump started
11) Fuel line oring fail - perished - started spraying fuel all over me

and thats about it! :)
I suppose it seems like a lot but it was a long ride! and it covered the panam highway and the RTW

Cheers
Oisin

Soldato
Well, i'm of to the San Marino Moto GP in September. Nine of us going, 8 on R1's and me on my 1098s...............................i'll let you know when i get back if i think i could ride around the world on it lol.

Back
Top Bottom