Cooling a study

Soldato
Hi guys,

Our study gets far too hot and I really need an efficient way of cooling it. The heat is caused from electrical equipment computers, TV etc. I would rather not use a portable air conditioning unit as they are quite expensive to run. Obviously if there are no alternatives then that is what I will have to get.

What would you guys suggest?

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Passively - open a window and door, get some air moving

Large floor fan with a ice pack behind it (needs to be large fan, slow = less noise)

Soldato
OP
Window doesn't tend to make much difference to be honest. Will a large fan with an ice pack cause any issues to the electrical equipment? Moisture etc?

One thing I was thinking of was a ceiling fan but I'm not sure whether this is worthwhile or not.

Thanks for all the responses :)

Associate
A floor or pedestal fan is probably your best bet, it'll move more air than a ceiling fan and you can get some great quality ones for decent prices.

Soldato
Soldato
Wind tunnel effect ftw. Fan on windowsill with window open, crank up the fan and enjoy as the cool air from outside is sucked in by the fan into the study

Soldato
My study/computer room (gaming desktop PC that really kicks out the heat and 2 servers) gets very hot.. I recently fitted a silent bathroom extractor fan into the ceiling.. As the air its pulling is dry I am just pushing it into the loft rather than up then out..
This has made a big difference, especially as the gaming pc radiators are now located just beneath it.. The temperature is much more sensible!

Associate
I've fitted a ceiling fan in the man cave and it has made a good difference to the feel of the room. Its much more bearable having air moving around and giving the illusion it's cool. Before when it was hot the room was pretty unusable with the pc and projector on.

I'm also thinking of fitting an intake fan to get fresh air in to actually drop the ambient temperature.

Man of Honour
I think throughput is important so if possible open windows on the other side of the house as well and use a fan to shift air through. Just having a window open by itself isn't as effective as gusts of wind aren't nearly as effective at expelling the hot air.

Back
Top Bottom