Patio door complaint, after sales service and credit agreements

Man of Honour
Sadly builders and the like being late is par for the course and something you pretty much have to expect (they probably spent most of the morning going back to rectify the botch they made of the previous client).

Thought I'd seen some shoddy work but that was close to a new low - the main company will usually take a fairly dim view of bad work though fortunately.

Soldato
Sadly builders and the like being late is par for the course and something you pretty much have to expect (they probably spent most of the morning going back to rectify the botch they made of the previous client).

Thought I'd seen some shoddy work but that was close to a new low - the main company will usually take a fairly dim view of bad work though fortunately.

When I worked for a few window fitting firms you would get work booked in a few weeks in advance. At the beginning of the week you get your job sheets and the surveyor will have booked certain jobs in to be completed by certain dates. If you encounter a problem on a job (which 90% of the time you do) then it messes up the next days jobs. It's not usually the fitters fault, although they always get blamed.

Saying that, these fitters don't seem to be very good. For a start the door shouldn't have been able to slam shut and break the door stop as they should have had it in the locked position when carrying it.

I also can't understand why the brickwork is such a mess and they have had to put a trim over it. When we do a brick removal pair of doors we use a sthil saw and make a nice neat cut, then when the doors are fitted it's just a silicone seal up to the brickwork. Looks like they have just smashed the brickwork out with a hammer :/.

Man of Honour
OP
...and yet it's a lot of money for what was required.

Paying peanuts would be cheaping out and just getting labourers. That's not what was done. The price we paid was about right with online quotes, we just didn't have a local place that could do it.

Man of Honour
OP
They're come back out and done a proper job. They've built (with brick, not foam) where they had mullered my wall, redone the whole frame new and resolved all of the issues I had listed.

I never received a response to my email and this was the 4th full day spent after we'd been told it would be done in one day.

I'm wondering what to do next. Barclays have confirmed they will not release the funds until I am happy. I'm happy with the work, but still annoyed at the issues they caused.

Soldato
Yes i would put it down to experience, also make the company name known but credit them with putting it right.

Original job tho, what the hell were they doing?!

Also was it the same guys who came back to make it right?

Last edited:
Soldato
I guess that, as the company won't get paid until you say you're happy, you have the upper hand here.

Did you get your carpets cleaned? Has all the remedial and making good been completed to an acceptable standard?

I guess the only other question would be how much £££ back would see you happy for the additional 3 days of upheaval and stress.

Man of Honour
OP
We've lost out through our lass not being able to work too, not much but I'm not sure that's the point.

The finish is to the standard I expected. Not perfect but if it was it wouldn't suit this house :p

We're doing the bathroom next. I was wondering whether to angle for a new window in there.

Soldato
We've lost out through our lass not being able to work too, not much but I'm not sure that's the point.

The finish is to the standard I expected. Not perfect but if it was it wouldn't suit this house :p

We're doing the bathroom next. I was wondering whether to angle for a new window in there.

The problem is, I dont think you'd be in a very good legal position to withhold funds at this point. Work done to expected standard, etc.

If you feel you might be able to get something out of them, then approach them and explain you're happy with the work, but are out of pocket due to the extra days/work required and want to know what they're going to do about it.

I expect though that they're not obliged to do anything and if you really want to push it, you would have to go the small claims route.

Soldato
Glad you got it sorted, to be honest I don't think you are in a position to wangle anything more out of it. They were given the chance to put right what they did wrong, which they have now done.

Just enjoy now :)

Soldato
From my limited law knowledge though, the point of any breach of contract claim is to put the claimant in the position as if the breach hadn't happened.

I suppose if the contract stated it’d only take 1 day for the work to be done then you might have some comeback, but it might end up quite stressful and therefore not worth it for 3 days lost wages (unless she’s on a very good salary).

Soldato
think of it from your perspective.
I order a gfx card from OCUK and it arrives either broken or incorrect. you arrange collection of said card and replace it. do I have any grounds to withold payment or get bank to reverse transaction ?

IMO no I do not. companies make mistakes if they have put it right to an acceptable standard then consider it case closed.

If on the other hand they had multiple re-visits and several botched attempts at rectifying the issue I could see your point and I personally would be looking for compensation.

Back
Top Bottom