Assistance - Calling all Samsung EVO owners

Associate
it doesn't feel 50mb per sec slow though that's the weird part

Low access time gives a sense of "speedyness" in general use. :D

Just to rule out most things and for the sake of completeness, used same port and cables to connect a 256GB MX100 that arrived today (i.e. straight swap out) and here are the speed test results -

Disk6.jpg

It is a fresh drive but I wouldn't have thought there would be any difference to a just fully formatted drive.

Caporegime
I dunno if its an actual bug or a software/benchmark bug

I cant test my corsair ssd as im using it for caching,seems strange that they all do it tho

EDIT: you need to test the mx100 when its quarter full with data)

Last edited:
Associate
The strangeness continues - I deleted a number of steam game files using the "delete local files" option (as I can always download them again or copy files from backup) and then ran a speed test again out of curiosity...

Disk7.jpg

It appears that it's been tidying itself after the deletion process by the looks of it. Not sure why it didn't do this on a full format.

Does look to be some sort of firmware bug?

Associate
Here is my benchmarks on a 3 day old 840 Evo 1 TB. All data was cloned from a Seagate 2 TB HDD.

HD Tach 8mb Zones

8mbZones_zpsa9dce048.jpg

HD Tach 32mb Zones

32mbZones_zpscd0e247d.jpg

Here is the performance according to Samsung Magician

Samsung840Evo1TBPerformance_zps89887157.jpg

Samsung840Evo1TB_zps17aae597.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
Interesting. I set the block size to 8MB in hdtune 2.55 and although it has increased the max speed overall, the drop in speed trend appears the same - i.e. graph looks the same as before just a bit higher up.

Disk8.jpg

This is with a 500GB drive that currently has 73GB used. I'll copy the rest of the games back to see how it gets affected and if it goes as bad as before.

Interesting that my other drives had no problems with original settings.

Associate
did not see it stated in this thread(might have missed it)but are we all using the latest firmware?

I wasn't originally, but updated during testing. See my previous posts and comments, but summary is it made no difference even after a full format - although strangely after copying then deleting data the speed seemed to come back in places... possibly a garbage collection bug fixed in the firmware?

Still some inconsistent results when data put back on the drive though. Still trying out a few things and testing though.

Caporegime
My Samsung 830 has been in my PC for over 2 years and has never required a full format/secure erase to restore performance.

The PC has been operating virtually 24/7 during that time.

TuL1aDs.jpg

Associate
OP
If more people can keep posting their benchmarks and all the better if you can do a comparison to another drive in your system great! Then we just have to wait for Samsung.

Associate
Hi Aurhinius,

Samsung have come back to me and they cannot replicate the issues you are having and would like to get more details from you. I will trust message you for the details but basically they would like to replicate your systems and use your drives to see what is causing the issue. they will offer you brand new replacements for your current drives. It looks like Samsung are on this and want to find out what is causing it.

Back
Top Bottom