Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Strava doesn't seem to like the 'pause' function on my gps, as it's included eating cake in my average speed. Actual average for the whole thing was about 16.5mph.

I've noticed that recently too on my Garmin 800. When I upload to Garmin it has the total and moving times correct, then when I upload to Strava it only uses my total time so my average speed is always rounded down. :(

I'm sure it used to work ok.

Caporegime
You have a PX bike don't you? If the outer is anything like mine was I would recommend replacing it. Mine was badly cut when installing (As in, frayed ends, lack of caps on some of it) and corroded.

I have a PX, but this upgrade is for my TDF, my second bike. I re-fitted all the cables myself in... March, I think, and it's not been ridden much since then. The outers are well enough done, so they can stay.

Thinking about it more, touch is probably right about frayed ends and so on, particularly where the cables have been pinched or bent going into the brakes and gears.

Man of Honour
I have a PX, but this upgrade is for my TDF, my second bike. I re-fitted all the cables myself in... March, I think, and it's not been ridden much since then. The outers are well enough done, so they can stay.

Thinking about it more, touch is probably right about frayed ends and so on, particularly where the cables have been pinched or bent going into the brakes and gears.

Yeah. As he said, for the price you may as well replace inners to avoid the hassle (and the potential nightmare of the cable fraying too much and you being left cable-less for a bit, though not such an issue on a spare bike I guess).

If the bike you're talking about isn't the PX then yeah, ignore my advice about outers :p

Caporegime
I must be doing something right at home... The mrs has ok'd me going to watch the tour of Britain in September and - more excitingly - has signed off on me doing the 4 day Paris-Roubaix sportive and race watching next April, provided I pay a decent chunk of the costs myself. Woohoo!

Associate
Hey guys, hope everyone had a good weekend?

On the Sunday, I had a group ride with another 5 riders. I finally met my 'nemesis' from Strava, he stole my first KOM, and I always wondered if I'd meet him. Such a small world, couldn't believe it when he introduced himself.
Really pleased with how the group ride went, it was my 3rd half century, and my furthest (56miles), and quickest. I was really hoping to improve on my overall average speed, which I succeeded in doing (17.5 mph, previous best: 16.8 mph).
I was a little disappointed, as up to the last 7-8 miles, my average was around 19mph. Unfortunately, I couldn't keep this up. I hit bad headwind and then the heavens opened up and poured on me.

Interestingly, on my previous rides of this distance, I've found eating very difficult after the ride. This time, as soon as I got in the house I raided the cupboards and destroyed anything edible in site, along with a protein shake.

My legs hurt today, and the commute into work was a little painful. So I'm going to have a peaceful evening away from the bike I think. I'm really pleased with how things are progressing though, especially if I think back to when I started in May.

Link to the ride on Strava if anyone's interested:
http://www.strava.com/activities/181428417

Soldato
I'm after a usb rechargeable rear light for the gf. I've got a Moon Crescent which I really like but don't seem to be available anymore. Anyone else have one they'd recommend?

http://www.wheelies.co.uk/p49642/Mo...r-Light.aspx?gclid=CNKr3vDRnMACFabMtAodk2cA7g

It is waterproof, super bright and USB rechargeable.

I did have one fail due to water ingress but Moon replaced it for me under warranty. The thing was I got it as part of the XP300 + shield pack so I got a another XP300 as part of the replacement.:D

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I've used finish line wet (green) and dry (red). Personally I found that although green lasted a while my chain would get absolutely filthy and would be black after one ride. At the moment I've been using the dry lube which yes doesn't last as long but it also doesn't pick up as much muck either. Usually once a week (every 1-200 miles) I'll give it a lube and wipe, chain stays relatively clean. Takes less time than the wet which even with wiping the chain would be so horrible the whole chain needed degreasing and re-lubing every 2-3 months. Only takes 30 seconds each time with the dry lube and chain is always clean.
I'm fine with it being filthy black. It definitely doesn't pick up the big crunchy bits anywhere nearly as much as something like 3-In-One bike lube. I probably wipe mine over and re-lube every couple of weeks, so around 200 miles-ish as well.

Associate
What do people use to auto upload from Garmin to Strava again? My friend with a Garmin is having issues...

They do it automatically now, when you go to the device upload page on strava I think there is now an option to connect to garmin connect. Now I just plug the garmin in and it automatically appears on both garmin connect and strava :)

I'm fine with it being filthy black. It definitely doesn't pick up the big crunchy bits anywhere nearly as much as something like 3-In-One bike lube. I probably wipe mine over and re-lube every couple of weeks, so around 200 miles-ish as well.

Mine didn't pick up big crunchy bits but it almost felt like it was covered in sand, maybe just the roads I was riding on were horrible.

+1, I have one and it's a great light.

Last edited:
Soldato
Might just need tightened.

You'll need to take the axle out and probably the cassette off to get at the freehub.
Parktool have a guide for doing a freehub service. You probably dont need to do all that* but you can see the process for removing the freehub so you can just do the opposite to tighten it.

*if you have it all stripped down you may as well follow through the full service anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom