Tiger temple holiday

Caporegime
Dont. As blairw says, they are drugged up to calm them down. It's just not fair. I'd feel far happier and satisfied looking at them through my car window at Longleat safari park.

Animals like tigers are not designed for human contact.

Soldato
Do not go. I've been to Kanchanaburi (mainly known for the bridge over the River Kwai) and the advertising for these is prevalent, but I didn't go myself (for the above reasons). I know a few people who have gone and they report it's not a pleasant experience. You get a photo opp with a drugged tiger and then hurried out for the next person. Certainly nothing to base holiday on.

If you want to go a see big cats, see them in the wild. Go and do a safari in Africa (I've done two, wildly different but both totally amazing, and was lucky enough both times to see a lot of lions). You don't get to touch them, but if you're lucky, a big ass wild (wide awake) lion will sit on the bonnet of your jeep for a bit - because he wants to and who the hell is going to say no!! ;)

Seeing wild tigers is much harder, I did a mini safari in India but didn't manage to spot one - shame :(

The thrill you'll get from spotting a wild big cat is much greater than you'll get from 20 seconds standing above a doped tiger in a poxy zoo.

Man of Honour
The place sounds positively revolting. Go on a safari or closer to home treat yourself to a big cat feeding experience at Longleat or just a visit.

Soldato
+ 1 for African Safari. If you're lucky you will see loads of animals and the scenery is stunning too.

Paradise Wildlife Park in Broxbourne (if you're near) does a hand feeding experience. The tigers are HUUGGEE!!

Associate
If the OP is determined, then there was a place on the outskirts of Chiang Mai called Tiger Kingdom, which seemed much more authentic.. Admittedly, I still think the cages are pretty small, but by SE standards, it was definitely one of the better zoos. Definitely much better than the horrific Tiger Temple experience.

Soldato
read this thread last night, this morning a friend put his honeymoon photos all over facebook. Loads of him and his missus in a mexico resort with a jaguar off its head on something.

Didn't know it was such a widespread thing

Back
Top Bottom