Are you overweight?

Associate
I have been on a 'lifestyle change' for almost two years and in that time I have lost 95lbs. I have about 40lbs to go to get to my 'goal' weight of 9st9lb and for a short female that still has me considered 'over weight'.

Associate
In April of last year I was 135kg with a BMI of 43%, so massively overweight.

Now I am at 85kg with a BMI of around 20-22%.

My lowest was 82kg 3 months ago, but since summer started I decided to take a break from gym (once a week instead of 3 times), have a cheat meal twice a week instead of once every 2 weeks and drinking a bit when going out.

Will resume back to pre-summer lifestyle end of september, which I am looking forward to, but I felt I needed a break.

Edit: I am 5' 8" tall.

Caporegime
I'm 6'2 and 14st and 6lb. Apparently I have a BMI of 25.9 which is overweight. I don't really look or feel overweight so I am surprised to see that score. I might try to get myself down to 14st mark, but I don't think I ought to be below that truth to tell.

Oh wait, muscle weighs more than fat right? That must be it.

The problem is we are now a society where "normal" is actually overweight. The average woman for example is a size 16! It used to be 10-12 and while extra height my be a factor most of it because they have too much fat. Same with men. Just under 2/3 of men are overweight and over half of women.

That all leads to body shape issues. Overweight people see most people are like then and "normal", so they must be fine. Those scrawny kids people always talk about on the other hand are probably a perfect weight...

Obviously this is ignoring the small percentage of people that are actually large because they do active jobs or weight lifting and actually have a lot of muscle and little fat.

The whole size 16 mannequin idea is something I really dislike. All it does is reinforce that overweight/borderline obese is "normal". Then again I'd argue the same with some of the super skinny mannequins...

As for the actual question, nope I'm "skinny" with a BMI of 22...

Last edited:
Caporegime
The problem is we are now a society where "normal" is actually overweight. The average woman for example is a size 16! It used to be 10-12 and while extra height my be a factor most of it because they have too much fat. Same with men. Just under 2/3 of men are overweight and over half of women.

That all leads to body shape issues. Overweight people see most people are like then and "normal", so they must be fine. Those scrawny kids people always talk about on the other hand are probably a perfect weight...

Obviously this is ignoring the small percentage of people that are actually large because they do active jobs or weight lifting and actually have a lot of muscle and little fat.

The whole size 16 mannequin idea is something I really dislike. All it does is reinforce that overweight/borderline obese is "normal". Then again I'd argue the same with some of the super skinny mannequins...

Yep, just because most people are something, doesn't mean that something is good/acceptable/ideal.

Caporegime
Well I suppose one could compile a huge list of every single male athlete and draw a standard deviation curve to get your answer, however, I'm not going to bother.

Sprinters != long distance runners.
Same as cross country bike riders != Track cylists

Your selections are tiny, it's easy to find people that fall within the criteria you want to prove a point. I could choose the ruby team, swimmers, field athletes and so on. It's east to pick and choose.

As a general rule, BMI is just a very broad brush - it's like using a sniper rifle and asking someone to hit the side of the Hoover dam - most people will be able to hit it, but that doesn't mean that everyone is a sniper. So just because you get some accurate BMI readings, it doesn't mean that as a general rule it is useful.

As I said there are far better ways of measuring other than bodyfat (which is the best way), such as hip to height and hip to waist ratios. Combine those two WITH the BMI reading, THEN I agree it's a good guideline.

Www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19050139

Not perfect but gives a good idea of weight to height ratio of a multitude of different Olympic athletes.

Soldato
Yes. I was a slob at uni and put on loads of weight so when I left I was so unfit and had a BMI of 41.X. Joined the gym about 2 years ago but never stuck to it but recently being going 2 or 3 times a week and cycling at weekends and paying a lot more attention to what I eat. My BMI is still too high at 36 but coming down every week, if I keep to target it should be around 25-26 by the end of the year :)

Soldato
In April of last year I was 135kg with a BMI of 43%, so massively overweight.

Now I am at 85kg with a BMI of around 20-22%.

My lowest was 82kg 3 months ago, but since summer started I decided to take a break from gym (once a week instead of 3 times), have a cheat meal twice a week instead of once every 2 weeks and drinking a bit when going out.

Will resume back to pre-summer lifestyle end of september, which I am looking forward to, but I felt I needed a break.

Edit: I am 5' 8" tall.

Well done, I have done the same as you. Went down to 12st 8 last summer but after a rather poor year at both diet and gym I have gone up to 13st 5. Nearly a stone :eek: Starting from today though I'm determined to get below 13st. Not sure if I want to go as low as 12st 8 this time though.

Associate
I used to be 6 stone heavier than I was, I was originally 22 (urgh) then dropped down to 13.10 or so, put on 2 stone again but do a lot more gym work (I still want to drop it a bit again). I'm probably classed as overweight if you go by BMI but probably not to look at me. Still, Great North Run for the 4th year in a row, Newcastle Stampede and Tough Mudder next year is going to keep me in normal shape for the time being.

I'd love a geet massive pizza right now though!

Yeah, deffo overweight. I got away with murder until the age of 20, then my body waved a white flag and surrendered. Tried various diets over the years e.g. cabbage soup diet, diet pills, Slimming World. Slimming World was probably my best attempt out of all of these, but ultimately, you end up putting the weight back on regardless. I also tried biking it to work, but my bad eyesight meant that I only cycled on pavements and cycle paths and ended up running into someone, so had to ditch the bike. I can't do sports either, again because of eyesight. So yeah, I give up. I'll die young.

Associate
Body shape can vary massively depending on muscle / fat ratio. Myself and my brother are the same height, 6'3, however I am 83kg and he is about 90kg. Due to lacking in upper body muscle and having a higher fat content than me his shoulders and chest make him look slimmer and lighter than me. This is due to him coming down from about 105kg through diet control and cycling with no resistance workouts. He is now doing resistance work and tailoring his diet to help reduce the fat he still has clinging on around his midriff. So whilst scrawny looking might come across as healthy and having a good body composition it isn't always the case. I've weighed a few people on a set of scales that indicate body fat / muscle levels and whilst they look slim they have literally no muscle and fat levels are quite near the upper limit.

Everyone is different :)

Soldato
Yeah, deffo overweight. I got away with murder until the age of 20, then my body waved a white flag and surrendered. Tried various diets over the years e.g. cabbage soup diet, diet pills, Slimming World. Slimming World was probably my best attempt out of all of these, but ultimately, you end up putting the weight back on regardless. I also tried biking it to work, but my bad eyesight meant that I only cycled on pavements and cycle paths and ended up running into someone, so had to ditch the bike. I can't do sports either, again because of eyesight. So yeah, I give up. I'll die young.

Sneaky Red Dwarf/Carter USM quote there? :)

You reach that age.. 24/25 then all of a sudden your muscles give up they wave a little white flag and without any warning at all you're suddenly a fat *******

Permabanned
Growing up i was always very skinny and had no muscles, but i had some definition in to my early 20s for the small amount of muscle that i had. When i started drinking a lot more and stopped all exercise apart from occasional walking (used to do football with work). I started to fill out a bit and people close to me always said i looked a lot healthier than i used to. In some ways drinking and eating more and stopping exercise has allowed for my body shape to be less skinny and scrawny which i think is a positive. I Just need stop drinking before I get a serious beer belly then start on the cardio (or team sport) and weights. Hopefully if i ever get the will power/energy to start doing that i will end up with good body shape opposed to just being skinny but with some muscle definition. Hope that makes sense.

Soldato

As for the actual question, nope I'm "skinny" with a BMI of 22...

Couldn't agree more and the fact that fatness seems to be getting treated like a disease or worse a disability drives me mental.

If I take that many drugs I send myself mental or lost some limbs or something I'd be shunned by society.

Eat so much cake you can't walk? Well obviously you need ramps and bigger beds and people to give you bed baths.

The chronically obese should be dealt with as darwin's theory intended.

Just to "weigh in" on the BMI thing, I am about 23 so towards the higher end of normal but I have a 30" waist and I'm in good health. I also pathologically miss meals, not for weight but because it doesn't occur to me to east breakfast or lunch, I rarely snack but I seem to cling on to weight.

My other half has a BMI of 16.9, she's properly underweight and yet is always texting me about what she's eaten at work, gets home talking about lunch and then eats pretty much 50% of whatever we cook. Its insane.

There's got to be something in this metabolism/resting heart rate thing. Also when I sit I tend to sit still, I've never seen anyone fidget as much as her.

Madness. Lucky cow lol :)

Back
Top Bottom