*Transfer Window 2014/15 Season Rumours/Signings *AKA Man U fans listing every player under the Sun

Status
Not open for further replies.

s-p

s-p

Associate
For £50m or there abouts surely its not too much to ask having a direct goal threat as well as a decent assist maker (Reus for example?)

Of course there is something in the fact Ronaldo et al will rarely assist him which is a fair point, but I wouldnt say he will automatically go from 4 goals in Spain to 15 in England (along with similar assists) in one or two seasons either.

I assume you're aware Di Maria played as part of a midfield three alongside Alonso and Modric? Alonso scored 0 in the league, whilst Modric scored 1. Real Madrid are simply not tactically set-up to encourage their midfield three to score goals, so any comparison to Reus who plays in a completely different position in a different team in a different league is limited at best.

As mentioned, 17 assist in la liga is not to be sniffed at: http://www.espnfc.com/spanish-primera-division/15/statistics/assists

I do believe that figures quoted for the player are too high, but that's mainly because Real have a desire to sell him and given the type of player he is.

Man of Honour
I don't know why anyone would want Di Maria, when for the same money you can get someone with so much more to their game.

Why is no-one linked with Modric? He's the one manyoo need. If they're so strong in world football that's who they should be after, not a one dimensional cast off.

This Vidal thing would be of primary concern to me too. Last year Moyes hung his hat on getting Fab, and failed. Vidal would be a pivotal signing for them, why haven't they gone and got him? He's clearly available.

fez

fez

Caporegime
There is no suggestion that Modric wants to leave Madrid and their has been no suggestion that Madrid want to sell him. RM will sell the players that they least need and Modric has been vital for them over the past few season.

Caporegime
It is actually depressing looking back at some of the sides we have had in the last 5 years or so.

I mean at one point we had Van Der Sar, Evra, Ferdinand and Vidic all in their prime at the back. Then Tevez, Rooney, Berbatov and Ronaldo up front. Sure we never seem to have had a magnificent midfield but that defence and attack was awesome.

We still have a good forward line in Rooney, V Persie and Mata but everything behind them is sub par in my opinion ( except perhaps Herrera and Shaw but they need to play more games before they can be judged)

Our defence and midfield is just woeful.

Associate
I think without any additions Manchester United will be heading for another finish outside of European places.

All the players keep talking about getting the fear factor back. They need to shut the hell up and work on their performances. Every team is going to come to Old Trafford now thinking they can get something. And from the past few seasons it is clear that if you have a go at Manchester United, their midfield is too weak and you can get behind them very easily.

I think it is clear now that they went after players early on, but either due to money or Woodward's incompetence in the transfer market, they failed to land anyone. This taking in to account that Shaw and Herrera were pretty much done deals.

Soldato
That depends on what his job is. And there is no reason he couldn't go from 4 to 15 goals a season depending on where he is used. Its very unlikely but wingers should be providing assists far more than goals if they are classical wingers.

Players like Ronaldo, Bale and Rodriguez score more goals because they are allowed to drift all over the place and the rest of the team accommodates that.

It shouldnt matter where he is played (either as an AM , forward or winger) at the end of the day £50m should buy more than a handful of goals a season.

There arent that many "classical" wingers around, most are classified as forwards / wide forwards.

Giggs was always classified as a "classical" winger (what ever that means nowadays if anything at all) - yet was still decent for scoring a few goals without costing a fortune as well (different circumstances I know).

I assume you're aware Di Maria played as part of a midfield three alongside Alonso and Modric? Alonso scored 0 in the league, whilst Modric scored 1. Real Madrid are simply not tactically set-up to encourage their midfield three to score goals, so any comparison to Reus who plays in a completely different position in a different team in a different league is limited at best.

As mentioned, 17 assist in la liga is not to be sniffed at: http://www.espnfc.com/spanish-primera-division/15/statistics/assists

I do believe that figures quoted for the player are too high, but that's mainly because Real have a desire to sell him and given the type of player he is.

He is still an AM in that position - if not a wide AM, and there are still games where Ronaldo/Bale arent on form (and Im ignoring Rodriguez because he wasnt in the team last season). Never suggested the assist total was bad but for that sum of money he should still be getting more league goals for his team

It is actually depressing looking back at some of the sides we have had in the last 5 years or so.

I mean at one point we had Van Der Sar, Evra, Ferdinand and Vidic all in their prime at the back. Then Tevez, Rooney, Berbatov and Ronaldo up front. Sure we never seem to have had a magnificent midfield but that defence and attack was awesome.

We still have a good forward line in Rooney, V Persie and Mata but everything behind them is sub par in my opinion ( except perhaps Herrera and Shaw but they need to play more games before they can be judged)

Our defence and midfield is just woeful.

To be fair Berbatov never really worked for Utd, and Tevez was always more promising for us than finished product - occasionally there was clear flair, but a lot was just normal graft with nothing special to show for it.

As you didnt mention him I think you are being a little harsh on De Gea who is already incredible and will hopefully improve further with a better defence infront of him.

Last edited:
Associate
It's quite funny how after pre-season w/ van Gaal, utd fans were buzzing thinking they were gonna win the league or do really well and now, because they lost their first game of the season (which Arsenal did last year and spent longest at the top spot), everyone is panicking again saying the squad isn't good enough. Funny what a difference one week can do.

I still don't think van Gaal deserves the amount of bum love he seems to get from utd fans. He's a good manager, yes but a Fergie - he is not. I think the squad is probably just about good enough to get top 4 but it will be a close fight between Utd and Liverpool which will make for a very exciting season.

Caporegime
Ronaldo tevez and Rooney had a fear factor to it. Carrick et al just had to not mess up too badly and pass to one of those three.

Now we are reliant upon others creating chances and our midfield just can't deliver. They can't get hold of the ball and our attack os too immobile and slow now.

Caporegime
It's quite funny how after pre-season w/ van Gaal, utd fans were buzzing thinking they were gonna win the league or do really well and now, because they lost their first game of the season (which Arsenal did last year and spent longest at the top spot), everyone is panicking again saying the squad isn't good enough. Funny what a difference one week can do.

Please find all these people that said that.

Soldato
Metro are reporting that Chelsea have put in a £35m offer for William Carvalho.

He'd be a great upgrade to Mikel, and a good fit to Mourinho's system, but £35m seems excessive for a player that's unlikely to start many games while Matic is fit. I'll choose not to believe it until more reputable sources come along, though the idea of denying Arsenal a key player has a certain appeal :p

...Anyway, sorry to interrupt the latest page of Man United retrospective. Carry on.

Associate

I know loads of Utd "supporters" who have been hailing van Gaal as this absolute genius who has turned the squad into a team to be feared etc. all buzzing about the pre-season wins no matter how many times us normal folk told them that pre-season counts for nothing in the grand scheme of things and when it comes to competitive fixtures utd will still struggle just not as badly as they did last year (which was not Moyes' fault btw).

Anyway all of those "supporters" have quickly hidden back in their caves demanding more transfer activity again now after seemingly being happy with the team two weeks ago.

I personally think Man U fielded one of my favourite starting XIs of the weekend. I loved the amount of English talent in it and it was promising and exciting to see. Nothing angers me more than seeing the lonely English goalkeeper in City's squad (or the absence of any if you look to the community shield match)

Caporegime

That was when we thought that we would actually buy some new players :p

Apart from Shaw and Herrera which were already done deals before the window, we haven't signed anyone yet! (ok Rojo but even that hasn't been confirmed just yet!)

fez

fez

Caporegime

No one. Literally no one.

We have been positive about the football we played in pre-season because it was quite good and much better than we have seen for a while but no-one was suggesting we would do that well in the league. Top 4 was a goal and perhaps top 3 based on the signings that were rumoured.

Since we lost the first game of the season no one has been saying that its a disaster apart from other teams supporters. We have been a bit dejected about the result but mainly because we still haven't seen any new signings and we have a number of injured players at the moment.

Funny how United losing a game 2 - 1 that we could easily have won is called a disaster by many and yet Arsenal and Liverpool scraped wins and both teams have not had a new manager and new system to contend with. Oh... and both of those teams have much stronger/ more settled squads.

Caporegime
Anyway all of those "supporters" have quickly hidden back in their caves demanding more transfer activity again now after seemingly being happy with the team two weeks ago.

I have never been happy with the team and I think most Utd supporters are not as well. It is still mostly balls, totally unbalanced and doesn't have a lot of depth.

Associate
Funny how United losing a game 2 - 1 that we could easily have won is called a disaster by many and yet Arsenal and Liverpool scraped wins and both teams have not had a new manager and new system to contend with. Oh... and both of those teams have much stronger/ more settled squads.

What's that old saying? Doesn't matter how you win, just that you win. You trying to tell me that Utd have never scraped a win before? Please, half the Fergie years were scrappy wins.

fez

fez

Caporegime
I have never been happy with the team and I think most Utd supporters are not as well. It is still mostly balls, totally unbalanced and doesn't have a lot of depth.

No one has. Every Man Utd fan has said we need at least 3-4 more players and we haven't bought one yet. We have a squad that was playing Jesse Lingard as a RWB and Ashley Young as a LWB along with 3 sketchy CBs.

There is no depth and not even a top quality first XI. LvG knows this and the fans know this.

Is Woodward just trying to show that he can get players for good prices. I seriously have no idea what he is thinking. His credibility is already in tatters after the Felliani fiasco so perhaps he should start with the basics of just actually buying players.

What's that old saying? Doesn't matter how you win, just that you win. You trying to tell me that Utd have never scraped a win before? Please, half the Fergie years were scrappy wins.

I don't know quite what the relevance of this is. My point is that no one is saying that Arsenal / Liverpool are going to have a shocking season because they scraped past their opponents whereas United losing is the end of the world. As you say, we have won god knows how many titles by scraping wins against people in the dying minutes and thats fine but either of those games could have been a loss / draw for Arsenal or Liverpool so peoples hysteria is ridiculous after a single game.

Last edited:
Caporegime
So why play wing backs? Why sell our only spare left back, what were we hoping that shaw would play ever game in every competition?

Or that rafael would ever be fit? He obviously realised that what he was doing was crazy and changed at half time. But he's had weeks to get players to make a squad to fit that formation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom