£100 saving for parking on the road???

Associate
Hi everyone,

I'm moving house in 2 weeks, only 4 roads down on the same estate so I phoned up my insurance company and asked how much would I have to pay in increased premium for moving; they came back with the following.

Driveway - £87
On the road - £8 refund

is this normal? I've paid upfront for the year and by parking on the road I would save £100... makes no sense!

NVP

NVP

Soldato
haha I called to clarify that my car is parked in a shared residential carpark as opposed to the stated driveway, had a £9 discount :D Makes no sense to me either.

Associate
My Smart's insurance is due at the end of the month so just while I was doing some comparisons just tried changing it from 'Driveway' to 'On road' ... sure enough - £10 less.

Think I might start parking on the road!

Caporegime
I've had days when I get a quote from an insurance company one day, and exactly the same quote the next day was cheaper. I've done this numerous times as you can then pick out the cheapest number and go for that. It's not one company either, it's lots of them.

I'd love to know what their algorithm for quoting is.

Throw_darts_blindfolded_cropped.jpg

Man of Honour
It's all stats. In your postcode area they probably have record of a few people hitting their gates/walls in their driveway, which in turn then pushes up the premium for driveway parking.

It makes no practical sense, but it's how they work it out.

Man of Honour
It makes perfect practical sense. Most car theft is as a result of theft with the keys, if the car is in a car park or on the road it isn't clear which house it belongs to and where the keys are.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
[TW]Fox;26773868 said:
It makes perfect practical sense. Most car theft is as a result of theft with the keys, if the car is in a car park or on the road it isn't clear which house it belongs to and where the keys are.

Oooohh! Makes much more sense now :)

Soldato
[TW]Fox;26773868 said:

Statisticaly, are you more likely to have your house broken into and keys and car stolen, or for some idiot to clip your car or to get it keyed if parked on the road? I find it hard to believe it's the first to be honest.

Soldato
Statisticaly, are you more likely to have your house broken into and keys and car stolen, or for some idiot to clip your car or to get it keyed if parked on the road? I find it hard to believe it's the first to be honest.

The cost of a claim for a broken bumper or a scuffed door is a lot lower than the cost of a claim for a whole car though :)

Caporegime
There is nothing stopping you from saying that it is parked on the road, and then parking it on the drive though. Is there?

Someone breaks in and steals the keys while it is on your drive? It was parked directly outside your house, on the road.

Someone targets your house and vandalises your car while it is on your drive? It was parked on the road.

CEO of insurance company knocks on your door, car is on the drive? You were just about to change the oil, and then park it back in the road.

Man of Honour

Hopefully then the insurers can hire you as a consultant and you can explain how they don't know how to value risk and that you know better :)

Caporegime

And I suppose when someone clips or keys your car, the insurance company have to pay out as much as when the entire car goes missing? :p

Associate
[TW]Fox;26773868 said:

Boom!

Back
Top Bottom