New macbook owner - best recovery media option?

Soldato
Hi all,

Picked up a macbook air 2014 model and all good so far. Doesn't come with any recovery media so assume that to restore it the macbook has a recovery partition on the SSD, but what if the SSD is infected and a full restore is needed?

Are you able to download OS X Mavericks on a seperate machine as an ISO and create a bootable USB stick like with Windows, or do you need to create a recovery USB whilst the Macbook is new as you cannot download an ISO? What is the best option? All I want is a way to restore the OS to blank and new if the recovery on HDD becomes broken for whatever reason.

Cheers

Soldato
You'll be able to restore over the network, no recovery media necessary. However for speed I tend to clone the hard drive to an external drive using Carbon Copy Cloner (which creates a bootable external clone).

Soldato
OP, if you turn on the computer with no, or a fresh hard drive, it will connect to the internet (wifi or ethernet, probably), and stream the standard recovery environment in to RAM. From there, you can re-partition the disk and install the version of OSX the computer came with, or restore a backup, or what ever.

Soldato
OP
Cheers - the internet recovery worked after bootcamp messed up the partitions on the disk! Downloaded from Command + R and reinstalled itself. Will create a USB restore at some point too incase I am ever away from internet!

Back
Top Bottom