PC won't turn on, unless I unplug it

Associate
My computer is the one in the signature, the motherboard is a Foxconn Flaming Blade GTI, with BIOS version 6.

So I tend to put my computer into sleep mode and just reset it once in a while, but from a few days ago my computer wouldn't turn on from the power button, it would appear to start powering up but it would be quieter, like not all of the hard drives are spinning or that they have stopped spinning after a few seconds, the lights on the case remain on, but nothing on the screen.

If I power it off by the mains for about 10 seconds so that there is no power to the motherboard at all (it seems to stay on for a few seconds), then I turn it all back on then it starts to boot, says 4.00GHz, turns off and reboots (which is a built in feature that it does when there is an error due to overclocking) at 2.66GHz, which is the automatic speed it detects, unlike the setup overclock, the ram speed also drops to a default detected speed. But then it boots, it takes a little while as it comes out of hibernation, but it has retained everything from sleep mode.

I thought it was a one off, but it happens every time, resetting it and turning it on multiple times doesn't help, I need to always turn it off by the mains. I'm thinking it is a motherboard issue but as it's a strange problem I thought I would ask to see if anyone has an idea what's wrong before I waste my money trying to fix it.

Associate
Sounds like your PSU is on it's way out tbh.

You could reset the BIOS to default to check it's not a setting there but I reckon it's more likely a PSU issue.

Associate
OP
Cooler master 700w silent pro is the PSU.

I should have mentioned that I built this PC in 2010, none of the voltages have changed since then, I'll try upping the ram voltage a little bit and clock it to 1600 as it is supposed to be, and remove the CPU overclock so that 2.66GHz is saved in the settings. I haven't yet tried normal booting it without sleep mode, so I'll try that aswell.

Update: I just downclocked the CPU to 3.2GHz, rather than all the way to 2.66GHz, kept the voltage the same which I think is just over 1.3V which I was running 4GHz on, I know most people used a higher voltage but I got lucky. The RAM voltage was already 1.70V for ram with a recommended 1.65V, I only upped it to 1.71V and set it to 1600MHz. I booted the system, put it into sleep, and woke it up, worked straight away. If it messes up again I will post again here.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
The next time I reset I will look at it and maybe put the ram voltage down a little, maybe it was just my CPU failing from the overclock on a low voltage, because to me that seems more likely than the 0.01V increase. So far standby mode and waking have been fine.

Before every once in a while it wouldn't fully boot and would reset at 2.66GHz, but I'd just reset it again and it would usually be ok at 4GHz, so maybe it's just had enough over the years

Associate
if it's just a matter of under voltages wouldn't it fail to begin with soon after the overclocking??????? not after a while of misuse.

you should refer yourself to the guidelines within the psu's user manual and it states quite clearly what to do or what not to do,
i think you will find that the manual tells you that you can't put it on hybernate mode for long durations of time.

Associate
OP
It doesn't go on hibernate mode for long durations of time. From time to time before, as mentioned before, it would fail to boot, but once booted it'd be fine. Nothing has changed over time so why would it be any voltage? Either way it is working now.

Associate
OP
It stopped turning on again, so I upped the Vtt from I think 180mV, to 220mV, lowered the ram voltage a little too, but not below the recommended 1.35V.

Associate
OP
Problem escalated, blue screen error, then it wouldn't boot, ntldr missing, it was fixed by changing the boot order, for some reason it moved the drive to the end of the list, then it needed to do a scandisk, it did it twice in a row, found lots of corrupt sectors, deleted lots, next time around it booted, but it was really slow, then it froze and blue screen, ntldr issue again, changed the boot order again to get it to load, then it worked but it's still really slow, so I moved all my files to another hard drive and ordered an SSD as my main drive. Today I installed it in replacement to the corrupt drive, which also doesn't pass seagate seatools tests. Went to change boot order again so that I can boot from USB to install an OS, on the screen to save settings the keyboard stopped working, so I reset, basically now nothing ever comes up on the screen, there is a 2 segment display that usually runs through characters and ends at FF that now does nothing, and upon booting there is usually a beep, at which time something comes onto the screen and the keyboard lights come on. Now it just seems to start up the fans and hard drives spin up, but nothing else. Tried unplugging it, unplugged the SSD, I don't know what to do now. I am just going to see if I can reset the CMOS manually on this motherboard.

Update: Reset the CMOS, then in order for it to boot properly loaded up a default BIOS option, then my USB wouldn't boot, but now it has, I hope this is the end of these issues.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom