Has anybody made use of 'Paywave' purchases?

Soldato
My only gripe with contactless payments (now known as payWave?) is that it can take a few extra days before it comes off your available balance.

Man of Honour
Of course, I would love to see it used in more locations around me. Specially my local Tesco Express. I use it whenever possible, it was just the mention of Petrol Stations that was surprising unless people buy items without buying fuel but I imagine that is infrequent but I guess updating all POS system is done at once.

I wish more fuel stations used it, works fuel card, unfortunately can't put food and drink on that.

Caporegime
The transaction limit is $80 here so around 40 quid; above this and you're required to enter your PIN but can still use contactless in the first place. I really like it and whilst it hasn't changed my life it does make paying for stuff slightly less annoying.

Soldato
PCI (Payment Card Industry) have a security council that publishes a set of standards businesses should maintain if they process card transactions.

They're -very- thorough standards, and full compliance is a pain in the ass but gives you greater freedom from your bank etc.

Associate
I need to get one of these cards, my visa debit doesn't have it. I've apparently got to go in branch and request it. (Barclays)

Soldato
PCI (Payment Card Industry) have a security council that publishes a set of standards businesses should maintain if they process card transactions.

They're -very- thorough standards, and full compliance is a pain in the ass but gives you greater freedom from your bank etc.

There are various tiers of this. Overall it's a good thing. Expensive to get PCI complient or to use someone who is.

Anyway contactless.....

Soldato
I've used it daily for lunch for the last year. Also used it recently in Germany at service stations.

I think it's fantastic, a lot of card readers have it you just need to prompt them to activate it.

Soldato
Had a contactless card for years now, have tried to use it in McDs a few times but I've never been able to get the reader to "see" my card. There are no obvious instructions as to exactly where/how you're supposed to hold it and the staff look at you like you've got three heads if you try and get any subtle assistance from them so I usually end up just putting the card in the slot after a few seconds in order to avoid looking like a clueless idiot.

Never been quite sure whether my card wasn't working right or whether I was doing something wrong.

Associate
santander have only just started issuing cards with it on.

i went into branch and ordered a new card trying to jump the queue. Didn't happen.

my amex is the only contactless card i have. unfortunately amex contactless is not accepted everywhere.

Caporegime
Wetherspoons use contactless systems

My local ones don't. Neither do any of the Tesco's. Have seen it in McDonalds though, and that is about it.

Going further away to save time entering PIN :confused:

Logic! :D

I personally just stick my card in and enter the pin anyway. I don't want people around me knowing I have contactless. What if they mug me for my £20 of purchases before a pin is requested? :p

Associate
Had a contactless card for years now, have tried to use it in McDs a few times but I've never been able to get the reader to "see" my card. There are no obvious instructions as to exactly where/how you're supposed to hold it and the staff look at you like you've got three heads if you try and get any subtle assistance from them so I usually end up just putting the card in the slot after a few seconds in order to avoid looking like a clueless idiot.

Never been quite sure whether my card wasn't working right or whether I was doing something wrong.

You usually have to hold it over the reader's screen.

Back
Top Bottom