So will the UK house prices ever come down ?

s-p

s-p

Associate
Because the reason why house prices are so high in the areas people want to live is because there's very little room left to build any more.

That's not entirely true. Whilst London is obviously very densely populated, outside of the M25 you'll find its not crowded at all. In fact, compare it to the conurbations in and around Manchester and you'll find the situation isn't an awful lot different.

This night time map of the UK shows it fairly well: http://alteryxned.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/ukatnight.png

I suspect if you expanded the building radius of London by a mile or so, that would be sufficient to cover the country's housing needs.

Please note that this doesn't mean I disagree with your premise of moving government activities up north. :) We certainly should be looking to redistribute economic activity more evenly around the country.

s-p

s-p

Associate
aren't you eligible for key worker accommodation then? Some developments are forced to build 'affordable housing' for people such as yourself.

Developments don't have to build affordable housing if they opt to pay the levy. Even when they opt to build affordable housing, they should really classify it as "slightly less extortionate priced housing" as opposed to using the "affordable" tag. :p

Also organisations like this one have shared ownership options:

http://www.lqgroup.org.uk/

Most are done by postcode - I wasn't eligible when I was buying property as I rented in an OK postcode at the time but key workers are eligible regardless AFAIK.

Shared Ownership is not a solution to the housing problem. It simply encourages people to buy property they can't afford. :(

Caporegime
Having started looking into buying, the mortgage payments plus rent of shared ownership is roughly the same as a mortgage for the whole value would cost, so it doesn't encourage people to buy places they can't afford at all. Its like the equity loan scheme in that it helps people with no deposit. The monthly cost is comparable.

Associate
This is true, obvious, and never going to happen. Because the reason why house prices are so high in the areas people want to live is because there's very little room left to build any more. It's the same thing that all these sound-bite pledges from every party that they are going to kick-start a building boom are going to fail over: where there is demand there can be no supply and where there can be supply there is no demand.

I've suggested this before, and I'm going to suggest it again: what we need to do is move Parliament, and thus all the government, out of London to somewhere like Manchester (bias declaration - I live nearby). This would move a large chunk of demand away from the South-East, where houses are very expensive to build, to the North, where they are a lot cheaper. At least for a decade or two. The current Palace of Westminster needs a couple of billion pounds worth of work doing (no, that's not a typo) within the next few years, and the work has been put off and put off. So let's just turn the building into a tourist destination and move parliament north.

I would vote for that. Even though I'm a born and bred Londoner, it does surprise me that the placement of Parliament has still stayed so south.

If it was moved further up north, I would imagine there would be better overall insight into the rest of the country.

Soldato
This is true, obvious, and never going to happen. Because the reason why house prices are so high in the areas people want to live is because there's very little room left to build any more.

Not sure that's quite the case down here in London. I live in Newham and while the papers bang on about a lack of room we have plenty. There are dozens of derelict buildings and stretches of land here that could be built on but the owners are just sitting on them. Why? Some speculate because the land value keeps rising there's no reason to waste money building on it. At the same time the council is seeing fit to bulldoze hundreds of council houses and replace them with brand new flats, but less than they bulldozed. Go figure.

Agree somewhat with moving things north though, the balance between the south east and the rest of England needs to be looked at. Or at least the north needs to start being more competitive.

Caporegime
Indeed, it states it quite clearly. Flaunt the laws and get fined less than three months rent, and and pay a surcharge of about a weeks rent to the tennant.
Bet there is someone in the room already again.
Three minths and hes quids in.

The fine, costs and victim surcharge come to more that 7 months rent.

The landlord will likely receive more regular visits now so hopefully he'll find it unprofitable to let the room.

Man of Honour
Not sure that's quite the case down here in London. I live in Newham and while the papers bang on about a lack of room we have plenty. There are dozens of derelict buildings and stretches of land here that could be built on but the owners are just sitting on them. Why? Some speculate because the land value keeps rising there's no reason to waste money building on it. At the same time the council is seeing fit to bulldoze hundreds of council houses and replace them with brand new flats, but less than they bulldozed. Go figure.

Agree somewhat with moving things north though, the balance between the south east and the rest of England needs to be looked at. Or at least the north needs to start being more competitive.

Roughly in reverse order:

The North is already much more competitive. For a start, house prices are a lot cheaper. Many people live in the South because they want to be where the money is, and many companies set up there for the same reason.

Brown-field sites are hated by building companies, because every one tends to be a can of worms. Or toxic waste. Or old unmarked landfill etc. And the price that can be got for any house built there is far lower. Building companies are not charities, they want the money, so they want the bigger profit of green-field. But yes, a lot of big properties are parts of things like pension portfolios. In many cases they have changed hands so often that it's all but impossible to work out who owns them.

Councils don't build houses because all that does is subsidise the right-to-buy, one of the most stupid political ideas of last century. OK, it was a brilliant idea politically, but disastrous for the housing market in the longer term. Flats are OK though, because almost no-one wants to buy those. Not until the area gets gentrified anyway. And any idea that councils might be able to forcibly buy up unused property is political suicide for the foreseeable future.

In response to an earlier comment about large bits of the South-East being empty, or at least appearing so. Yes, it appears so. Trouble is, that's all lad which is never going to be allowed to be developed. Let's start with the golf courses and occasional race tracks - there's no way on earth those will ever be developed. Then there's the farming land. In theory yes, in practice the political fallout of any but a very small amount being developed is too much. Ditto woodland. Which doesn't leave much.

Finally, don't forget the obvious: the Tories want a house price boom, no matter how much they deny it. They still have no policy for the long-term economy beyond people borrowing money on the back of increasing equity and spending it in shops. It worked last time. To be fair, neither do the other two parties.

Back
Top Bottom