Got £8000 help me pick?

Associate
Hiya,
As the subject says I have roughly £8000 for a new car. Now it isn't that simple I am expecting a little one to join me and my partner and our new flat.

I have been looking at the BMW 3 series as potential family car has anyone got a better suggestion. It will be used for my daily local workplace and an occasional trips to the beach...

Soldato
If it will be your only car I would look at something easier to get a baby seat in and out of.

And if you will occasionally carry two adults in the back with the baby it could be a squeeze on those long drives to the beach.

Soldato
Is reliability particularly prevalent in your list of priorities?

£8,000 budget with those low miles (and the fact you don't mind spending less) blows the door open to far too many possibilities. We'd just be throwing car names at you.

I assume mpg isn't too much of a bother considering the mixture of purchase price and annual mileage.

Do you want something fast, or nippy at least? Or is safety the bigger concern?

Associate
OP
I have drove small hatchbacks like a fiesta and focus. I would like something different I was thinking a saloon that is why I mentioned a 3 series but like you say if a hatchback would be cheaper more economical and as much fun.

Soldato
I wouldn't advise a saloon with a baby on the way, purely because the boot opening is generally smaller than a hatch or estate which can make getting a pushchair in a bit of a pain!

Caporegime
I'd get an estate with any sort of family, but maybe it's just me with ultimate amounts of crap that seemingly need to be shifted around the country every day.

For your money, I'd look to a Mazda 6 Tourer. Yes it fails the fun test, but you're a family man on a small budget.

Man of Honour
From experience until your first child arrives you will massively underestimate how much luggage you end up needing/wanting to take just for a day trip somewhere, never mind a proper holiday.

Have a look at something like an Octavia vRS maybe, it has a larger boot than most hatches and also an estate version (possibly outside your budget). If fun isn't essential then you can probably get a better example with a lesser engine.

Man of Honour
Dont spend £8k on a mondeo.. It will be worth £5 in a couple of years

Better off sticking with the 3 series

Disagree. At 8k depreciation is a plus point not a minus point. It means you get a much newer car for your money. If it's worth a grand in 5 years so what? Just over a grand a year seems fairly low. It simply isn't worth enough to be hit by enormous depreciation.

Or you could buy an 8 to 10 year old 3 series I guess...

Caporegime
[TW]Fox;26798012 said:
Disagree. At 8k depreciation is a plus point not a minus point. It means you get a much newer car for your money. If it's worth a grand in 5 years so what? Just over a grand a year seems fairly low. It simply isn't worth enough to be hit by enormous depreciation.

I have nothing against BMW's but IMO a Mondeo would get you more for your money and much newer to boot. Which I guess is your point!

Soldato
My Golf fits all of our stuff in for me, the mrs , kid and the dog. Bit of a squeeze in the boot with all the extra luggage last time we went to america.

Associate
[TW]Fox;26798012 said:

Your view may be true if its going to be used for 10k+ miles pa. At 6k pa, low depreciation is key to keeping the cost per mile down.

I haven't got the time to give you a break down of the sums - but just have a think about it.

Back
Top Bottom