Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
[DOD]Asprilla;26804368 said:

that's not the problem, it's the space between 23c tyre and the fork/brake.. :o its minimal and no mudguard seems to fit there.. even roadracers were touching the tyre with the nose piece which I had to remove for them to fit :eek: it's a bit odd because I've seen people fit them but maybe they just ignore the rubbing and ride around..

Soldato
that's not the problem, it's the space between 23c tyre and the fork/brake.. :o its minimal and no mudguard seems to fit there.. even roadracers were touching the tyre with the nose piece which I had to remove for them to fit :eek: it's a bit odd because I've seen people fit them but maybe they just ignore the rubbing and ride around..

When your wheel is sat on the fork, how much space is there at the bottom of the dropout? Could you put a spacer there to create some more room at the top?

Soldato
Have you tried raceblades? With them the mudguard part doesn't actually go through the fork, its just a thin metal bracket.

Soldato
When your wheel is sat on the fork, how much space is there at the bottom of the dropout? Could you put a spacer there to create some more room at the top?

couple of mm if I remember correctly.. moving it would be just asking for trouble I think!

Have you tried raceblades? With them the mudguard part doesn't actually go through the fork, its just a thin metal bracket.

got raceblades on right now, front is crap.. but I guess you're talking about the "long" version which uses the metal brackets.. they're next on my list! :o

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Judging by the multiple stickers on the frame i'd say it's probably 501 :D
Ah right, I thought you'd acquired an unknown Raleigh frame :)

Mid-late 80's. 501 is a mid-range grade of steel, not particularly light, but stronger than normal grade. It's the same as what Peugeot called Carbolite. Shimano SIS was their entry level kit. Brake levers don't look original.

Looks like it's in great condition.

I have no idea how you would have seen that from those two pictures, but yes, it does have top tube routing for the rear brake cable.
Good eyes :D

Soldato
Not if I'm riding behind you :p Club ride on Saturday was fun on that note - nobody aside from myself and my two friends that were on our first club ride had mud guards. Torrential rain in the morning too so the ground was soaked.

Pfff nobody rides behind me. They might start there but they just get further and further away.:cool:

In all seriousness though, I get sprayed by people even if they have full length guards so they clearly aren't working too well!

Soldato
Yeah, the short raceblades are utter tosh. Almost may as well not have a mudguard :/ Though I do wonder if using them as a base and then extending them might work...

I think the longs might be the answer.. ! combine them with pro4's(hopefully they're as good as you're saying) and it'll be a nice super wet weather beater.. don't get me wrong I dont mind getting my bike dirty etc but I can't fit full guards the carbon one and the lovely looking topeak is the best I can get to at least keep my arse and laptop dry..

Pfff nobody rides behind me. They might start there but they just get further and further away.:cool:

In all seriousness though, I get sprayed by people even if they have full length guards so they clearly aren't working too well!

there was this fast chick on my commute home.. she overtook me twice(I'm a massive wuss in wet weather now) and sprayed my face full of dirt! got her next time tho ;) she was all wet. :)

and how the hell do I regain my confidence in wet weather? :(

Man of Honour

Lol :p

Yeah, you do get sprayed even with full length guards but you get sprayed a lot less :)

Even full length guards need a flap on the back for proper bunch/chain gang work.

I might have to try to fit one to extend my guards actually...

I think the longs might be the answer.. ! combine them with pro4's(hopefully they're as good as you're saying) and it'll be a nice super wet weather beater.. don't get me wrong I dont mind getting my bike dirty etc but I can't fit full guards the carbon one and the lovely looking topeak is the best I can get to at least keep my arse and laptop dry..

there was this fast chick on my commute home.. she overtook me twice(I'm a massive wuss in wet weather now) and sprayed my face full of dirt! got her next time tho ;) she was all wet. :)

I think having decent gripping tyres will help you get your wet weather confidence back so you won't feel the need to hold back when you get the ladies all wet with your riding :p

Soldato

I've lost cornering confidence since my off but that was in the dry :o Not helped by the recent down pours leaving big piles of sand and grit at random on the country lanes I ride.

EDIT- Since swapping the daft plastic clip on things the shop convinced me to get when I bought my bike (I'm sure they only did this because fitting proper guards can be a ball ache) to some proper full SKS ones I'm amazed how dry I am after riding wet roads. Nothing up my back and just a light spray on my shoes. Bike stays much cleaner too with the exception of the front forks.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think having decent gripping tyres will help you get your wet weather confidence back so you won't feel the need to hold back when you get the ladies all wet with your riding :p

moist!

the problem is actually leaning into the corner and trusting my grip.. I just need to go out in park and rip it on wet pathway to see where the breaking point is..!

any of you heard of that guy who had a crash at 15ish mph in RP and died? poor sod!

Soldato
On mudguards...

Good:
GoodMudflaps.jpg

Bad:
RegularMudguards.jpg

If I'm riding by myself though I just go with an Ass Saver.

Man of Honour
moist!

the problem is actually leaning into the corner and trusting my grip.. I just need to go out in park and rip it on wet pathway to see where the breaking point is..!

any of you heard of that guy who had a crash at 15ish mph in RP and died? poor sod!

Yeah. It just takes a little time and a bit of pushing yourself to lean more in safer-seeming situations to get the confidence back really.

I didn't hear about that. Super unlucky, especially given the low speed :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom