(Some) iPhone 5 batteries to be replaced by Apple :)

Associate
is this when its just cuts out even though it has a certain percentage left? mine does this and even cut out at %50 last night! my serial eligible too. im on a two year contract with o2 coming to a end next month.

should keep me going a while longer as I really dont want to get a new phone just yet! got a link for the uk yet? cannot see it.

Associate
My serial number qualifies as well, but I can't honestly say I've noticed any decrease in battery life, especially a 'sudden' decrease. Tempted not to bother seeing as my contract ends in November this year anyhow and I'll be wanting to change to an iPhone 6 ...

The wife's iPhone is a different matter though - hers has been doing some weird stuff with the battery for a couple of months, which I must confess I had assumed up until now was down to how she was using it eg. Facebook with background updates on, that sort of stuff. She'll be upgrading toward the end of the year and I haven't checked her serial number yet, but for the sake of an Apple Store appointment next Saturday I guess it's worth it.

Associate
this is great, my battery has been a nightmare for ages, will randomly turn off from 50% or below and discharges very quickly in general.

Soldato
My iPhone 5 battery life is pretty rubbish but it's not eligible according to the checker. My work iPhone 5 battery life is brilliant but apparently it is eligible, can't see the point unless it suddenly gets bad.

Soldato
this is great, my battery has been a nightmare for ages, will randomly turn off from 50% or below and discharges very quickly in general.

My wife's does the same and is eligible thankfully.

My iPhone 5 battery life is pretty rubbish but it's not eligible according to the checker. My work iPhone 5 battery life is brilliant but apparently it is eligible, can't see the point unless it suddenly gets bad.

Ring Apple anyway, I had mine done outside of warranty prior to this coming out and despite their diagnostics feedback form my handset claiming otherwise.

You have to be clear with them you are making a claim under the sale of goods act because they won't tell you readily but in the UK you are entitled to a two year warranty.

Soldato
My serial number doesn't qualify but I've already bought a new battery off Amazon and replaced it myself. My contract runs out in a few days so I'll be boxing this back up and getting an iPhone 6 anyway.

Soldato
Thank you for this. My girlfriend has terrible issues with hers, very similar to what Frost and Welshdragon have experienced.
Wouldn't have found out about this without this thread.

Man of Honour
Mine is eligible, but because it was a phone I received as a warranty replacement, they won't let me change it. Not really that bothered though given it's 4 weeks until the new one is here

Soldato
Mine is eligible, but because it was a phone I received as a warranty replacement, they won't let me change it. Not really that bothered though given it's 4 weeks until the new one is here

Cant see how they wont change it... If its eligible then they should change it regardless as its still 'faulty'.

My battery life is pretty shocking but it isn't eligible and I'll be getting the 6 when its released.. but if it was eligible I'd be swapping it for a non faulty version.

Man of Honour
You'd have thought so, but I did phone up to check that what the website was saying is true, and they told me flat out that they won't replace it as it's a replacement phone

Soldato
That's insane.. They've given you a faulty phone and they're refusing to change it?? I'd be asking to go higher up the food chain. They bit quoted on the main apple site says that they won't do it if 1 your not eligible or 2 if you have had battery replaced.

Although thinking about it they may have already replaced the battery in your replacement handset. Just thought about that.

Last edited:
Soldato
Mine is eligible and I had to pay replace it with a now working battery because it became absolutely intolerable! I'll be handing my 5 over to my mother as soon as the 6 is delivered, so I'll replace it again then to maximise it's life.

Back
Top Bottom