Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I think the longs might be the answer.. ! combine them with pro4's(hopefully they're as good as you're saying) and it'll be a nice super wet weather beater.. don't get me wrong I dont mind getting my bike dirty etc but I can't fit full guards the carbon one and the lovely looking topeak is the best I can get to at least keep my arse and laptop dry..

there was this fast chick on my commute home.. she overtook me twice(I'm a massive wuss in wet weather now) and sprayed my face full of dirt! got her next time tho ;) she was all wet. :)

and how the hell do I regain my confidence in wet weather? :(

Two words.

MAN UP.

:D

Soldato
On mudguards...

Good:
GoodMudflaps.jpg

Bad:
RegularMudguards.jpg

If I'm riding by myself though I just go with an Ass Saver.

I dont agree with that. The mudguard in your "bad" diagram is fine for proper group riding because the diagram doesnt take into account the forward movement of the bike.
The spray is thrown up by the rotation of the wheel, so the spray is travelling at the same speed as the wheel rotation (and therefor the forwards speed of the bike). Looking at the "bad" diagram, if you measure the distance between the point where the spray leaves the rear wheel and the end of the arrow, then consider that the bike has moved forward the same distance, any rider behind will not get spray in their face. This is before you consider air resistance and gravity slowing the spray.

Soldato
Yeah. It just takes a little time and a bit of pushing yourself to lean more in safer-seeming situations to get the confidence back really.

I didn't hear about that. Super unlucky, especially given the low speed :eek:

a park sounds like a good idea!

Two words.

MAN UP.

:D

I have enough of that.. i don't want to end up on the road in front of a car or a bus.. :o that's the scary thought!

Soldato
I dont agree with that. The mudguard in your "bad" diagram is fine for proper group riding because the diagram doesnt take into account the forward movement of the bike.
The spray is thrown up by the rotation of the wheel, so the spray is travelling at the same speed as the wheel rotation (and therefor the forwards speed of the bike). Looking at the "bad" diagram, if you measure the distance between the point where the spray leaves the rear wheel and the end of the arrow, then consider that the bike has moved forward the same distance, any rider behind will not get spray in their face. This is before you consider air resistance and gravity slowing the spray.

The diagram is a faffy way of saying longer mudguards = better but as long as people show up with some sort of mudguard to a group ride that minimises a bit of the spray, I'm happy. You're always going to get a bit wet.

Soldato
Had an extremely quick ride home from work today. I think it was because I was wearing full on lycra for a change (my commuting gear is in the wash). Is that utterly ludicrous or does anyone else get that too?

Soldato
Had an extremely quick ride home from work today. I think it was because I was wearing full on lycra for a change (my commuting gear is in the wash). Is that utterly ludicrous or does anyone else get that too?

had that lol.. I think it felt fast because I felt naked at the same time.. ;) imagine running around with your dong out in the city center.. major adrenaline kicks eh

Soldato
had that lol.. I think it felt fast because I felt naked at the same time.. ;) imagine running around with your dong out in the city center.. major adrenaline kicks eh

Only if it's something to be ashamed of! ;) :p

Commute home into a viscous headwind, not nice! Enjoying the new commute though, it's down from 18 miles each way to 7.8 miles each way, meaning my unfit self can manage to cycle in and back whereas before it was a bit of struggle to do the 36 miles for more than a couple of days a week.

Fairly flat route now though which sucks, but my average is up from around 15mph to 18.6mph for the 8 miles (not easy shifting 110kg before the bike!), need to try and smash 20mph sometime soon!

Associate
Yuck horrible headwind today! Going down a long straight road, normally manage 20mph-ish but today I could only do 10mph and it still felt like going up a big hill at that speed!

Caporegime

Lycra makes you go faster. It's a well known fact.

I don't get on my bike without my lycra. Why would you?

Caporegime
My new (well, second hand) Claris shifters for my TDF have arrived. They're not in quite as immaculate condition as the seller claimed, but they'll do. There's a bit of a gouge in one of the hoods - any suggestions on how to fix that? Bit of glue or something? It's only a couple of millimetres across.

Soldato
My new (well, second hand) Claris shifters for my TDF have arrived. They're not in quite as immaculate condition as the seller claimed, but they'll do. There's a bit of a gouge in one of the hoods - any suggestions on how to fix that? Bit of glue or something? It's only a couple of millimetres across.

Pics? If it's really distracting you could try this:

http://sugru.com/

Bits i ordered for the bottom bracket and the drivetrain arrived today, went out and picked up some water bottle cages so now all i'm waiting on is the wheels back from the shop. Probably get some new bearings when i go to pick them up, maybe a couple of fresh inners...

Soldato
The Strava segment duplication mentioned earlier is becoming a problem - http://www.strava.com/activities/185558191/analysis just after 4 miles is a bit of a joke but just after mile 12 is... well, stupid!

Oh and don't laugh at my lack of pace, it was windy :p

Ha, you think that's bad, you should see the number of segments on the Cambridge guided busway. At one point there's 10 segments overlapping each-other:

http://www.strava.com/activities/182455960/analysis

(Let me know if the link doesn't work, not sure how my privacy settings are set)

Soldato
So I've narrowed my bike search down for £2000 which one would you choose?

http://www.rutlandcycling.com/281204/products/trek-emonda-sl5-2015-mens-road-bike.aspx

http://www.rutlandcycling.com/281210/products/trek-emonda-s6-2015-road-bike.aspx

http://www.cervelo.com/en/bikes/r-series/r2.html

I'm edging towards the SL5 but cant make my mind up on the colour ...

Cervelo I've ridden before but it didn't quite do it for me and slightly worried by all the BB part of the frame developing the squeak of death ...

Thoughts ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom